Roe on the Chopping Block

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Roe on the Chopping Block

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:16 pm
As I said, I don't agree that abortion is murder. I also don't see that the Bible teaches it is. I know a very conservative evangelical pastor who is not a strict pro-lifer precisely because of that passage in Exodus. I find the whole concept of scriptural authority bizarre, but a lot of pro-lifers seem to accept it. I think they're wrong about scriptural authority but also wrong about exegesis.

I just don't think that attempted theocracy is the charge that will stick against pro-lifers. Given their belief about abortion, they have to be right to try to forbid abortion for everyone. They're not trying to make everyone go to Church on Sunday. They're trying—according to their lights—to stop everyone from committing murder.

I do think they're badly wrong. They are wrong to come to conclusions about what is or isn't murder in the way that they do. I'm just saying that one should understand how they are wrong, and not fight the wrong battle.
Fundamentally, however, they are pushing their view of murder on everyone else. If most people do not share their definition of murder, and their definition of murder derives from their religious views, then they are pushing a theocratic agenda. What should be viewed as murder is that which most people have accepted as the definition of murder through the ages. If their own sacred text doesn't back up their opinion, then they have a problem, which they are now making our problem.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

If they believed it was murder they would’ve kicked off a civil war by now.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:20 pm
If abortion is murder, so is male masturbation.
Not at all Simpson.

"The neurons involved in nociception appear in the dorsal root ganglion by 19 weeks of gestation, while thalamic afferent neurons reach the subplate zone between 20 and 22 weeks of gestation. The thalamic afferent neurons reach the cortical plate between 23 and 24 weeks of gestation."
https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378 ... 0/fulltext

So there is a good argument that elective abortion shouldn't be legal after 18 weeks.

But I personally don't care.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:38 pm
If they believed it was murder they would’ve kicked off a civil war by now.

- Doc
We are no longer in the 19th century. You have to be realistic.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

To be clear, I don't think abortion should be relied upon as a form of birth control. I think you're on pretty shaky moral ground if you aren't highly disturbed by late term abortions.

But ultimately, we're talking about removing extremely personal life and health choices from women over a minority-shared intuition ("abortion is murder"), and I am absolutely against that. Not only am I pro-life, I'm pro-quality-of-life.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 pm
I think you're on pretty shaky moral ground if you aren't highly disturbed by late term abortions.
Is 19 weeks a late term abortion?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:55 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 pm
I think you're on pretty shaky moral ground if you aren't highly disturbed by late term abortions.
Is 19 weeks a late term abortion?
I was thinking more like the last four to five months.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Late term abortions are already illegal in many states and RARELY happen. And when they do happen, it is to save the life of the mother.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 pm
Late term abortions are already illegal in many states and RARELY happen. And when they do happen, it is to save the life of the mother.
Absolute truth. I don't know why anyone brings it up. Probably kool-aid intoxication with a side of too lazy or unconcerned to actually investigate it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 pm
As it should be.