Roe on the Chopping Block

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Roe on the Chopping Block

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Go back farther. Every human who's living today was once two things: a sperm and an egg. By your own logic, why isn't male masturbation mass murder?
Sorry I'm taking so long to answer, I'm still on the ground laughing at what you just posted. Be back in a few minutes.

When you come back, let me know if you and your wife have ever used birth control.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't think the three stages of prenatal development (germinal, embryonic and fetal) are periods of human development? Wow!! Can you show me a picture of a human who's living today that hasn't gone through the three stages I listed?
Go back farther. Every human who's living today was once two things: a sperm and an egg. By your own logic, why isn't male masturbation mass murder?
Hey, did you only take law classes in school, no biology classes? Are you trying to tell me a single sperm cell that is made up of 23 chromosomes is the equivalent to a 46 chromosome baby growing inside the mother's womb?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:01 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Hey, did you only take law classes in school, no biology classes? Are you trying to tell me a single sperm cell that is made up of 23 chromosomes is the equivalent to a 46 chromosome baby growing inside the mother's womb?
Oops. That was a mistake. You just sank your own argument.
Last edited by Marcus on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

https://youtu.be/aDzUJlIwzMI

Hey, Res. Here's a great video explaining about the Birds and the Bees. If you're interested 😂
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Of course not. But that's not the argument you made. You made an argument based on things that all living humans had been in the past. My response was an argument technique called reductio ad absurdum. It consists of (1) taking the argument you made; (2) following your own logic to show that it leads to an absurd conclusion; and (3) concluding that your argument is not a rational one based on where it leads.

I'm sure you've used the same tactic yourself, even if you never learned the formal name for it or even that it is a recognized form of argument. The conclusion of the argument is that this:
Can you show me a picture of a human who's living today that hasn't gone through the three stages I listed?
Is a bad argument that even you recognize leads to absurd conclusions.

By moving away from your absolutist argument, you've moved to a line drawing exercise. It sounds like you're drawing a line between two cells with 23 chromosomes each and the same two cells that have become one with 46 cells through a natural biological process we call meiosis. Why does 23 X 2 vs. 46 chromosomes justify treating the two differently?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 pm

Hey, Res. Here's a great video explaining about the Birds and the Bees. If you're interested 😂
Why do you let youtube think for you?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 pm

You tube is awesome when you're out numbered 30 to 1 on a discussion board. I supply links to videos that show people who agree with me and if anyone clicks on the link and watches the video, more than likely they'll read the comments and see that they're actually people out there that think like me. This is a faaaaar left board. My links provide the other side of the story. Besides, it pisses some of you guys off. Kinda like Mormon Stories and John Dehlin pisses off Orthodox Mormons.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

What if you withdraw, and deny those 23 chromosomes the chance to hitch up with that nice egg that’s waiting just around the corner?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

You tube is awesome when you're out numbered 30 to 1 on a discussion board.
Stop making excuses for your abject stupidity. You frequently start threads with one post after another of just youtube vids, sometimes in threads when NO ONE else is even responding. So insecure in your position that you have to rely on immediate backup before anyone has even engaged you. Such a beta move. You've never had 30 people arguing against you, I doubt you've ever had more than four. And you still have idiots like ajax and your multiple sock puppets to back you up.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
You tube is awesome when you're out numbered 30 to 1 on a discussion board. I supply links to videos that show people who agree with me and if anyone clicks on the link and watches the video, more than likely they'll read the comments and see that they're actually people out there that think like me. This is a faaaaar left board. My links provide the other side of the story. Besides, it pisses some of you guys off. Kinda like Mormon Stories and John Dehlin pisses off Orthodox Mormons.
Fascinating. A mission statement of sorts.