FOX News is America's Shame

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: FOX News is America's Shame

Post by Gadianton »

I guess this is FOX news related. It also reminds me of the conversation H, Pakes, and Res are having with Markk about Hunter Biden in SSP. I've thought about commenting on that thread once or twice, but refrain, because there's nothing I have to say those three haven't thought of and really, if a person is living life in support of ideology, there's nothing that can be said that won't just cause the person to dig in their heels. At that point, it's more about child psychology, and how do you manipulate someone into seeing things a different way?

Anyway, so here I am on my walk this morning -- those in Spirit Prison are welcome to read this also -- I run into my right-wing friend, and, you know, it's all good, this and that, weather is nice. And then he gets this sober look on his face, brings out the sad voice, and starts telling me how down he his about the world. He and his wife last night were talking about how there is so much anger and fighting in the world, and asked, why can't people just learn to love each other? Sure, can't really dispute that. So, what is an example of the hatred and anger in the world? Maybe something about Ukraine?

Black lives matter. Why can't BLM let the police do their jobs?

Wait a second. The example he had in mind of there not being enough love in the world is BLM? So I tell him that they weren't really having a conversation about love, he picked a nice sentiment and then from there, just recited FOX news talking points to each other. I asked him to tell me something about love that he didn't learn from FOX news, and preferably something that is actually about love.

Down in Florida these liberals are...they passed a bill and...
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:28 pm
I guess this is FOX news related. It also reminds me of the conversation H, Pakes, and Res are having with Markk about Hunter Biden in SSP. I've thought about commenting on that thread once or twice, but refrain, because there's nothing I have to say those three haven't thought of and really, if a person is living life in support of ideology, there's nothing that can be said that won't just cause the person to dig in their heels. At that point, it's more about child psychology, and how do you manipulate someone into seeing things a different way?

Anyway, so here I am on my walk this morning -- those in Spirit Prison are welcome to read this also -- I run into my right-wing friend, and, you know, it's all good, this and that, weather is nice. And then he gets this sober look on his face, brings out the sad voice, and starts telling me how down he his about the world. He and his wife last night were talking about how there is so much anger and fighting in the world, and asked, why can't people just learn to love each other? Sure, can't really dispute that. So, what is an example of the hatred and anger in the world? Maybe something about Ukraine?

Wait a second. The example he had in mind of there not being enough love in the world is BLM? So I tell him that they weren't really having a conversation about love, he picked a nice sentiment and then from there, just recited FOX news talking points to each other. I asked him to tell me something about love that he didn't learn from FOX news, and preferably something that is actually about love.

It's interesting that you can even talk politics at all and still remain on speaking terms.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:28 pm

This reminds me of Marjorie Taylor Greene's recent claim of being a Christian while attacking Christians for helping immigrants. She said the Catholic Church which chooses to help immigrants is controlled by Satan. Because, you know, Jesus would never approve of helping immigrants.
“What it is, is Satan’s controlling the church,” she continued. “The church is not doing its job, and it’s not adhering to the teachings of Christ, and it’s not adhering to what the word of God says we’re supposed to do and how we’re supposed to live.”

She added that Christian groups that say you should take care of migrants are “destroying our laws” and taking advantage of Americans.

“Yes, we are supposed to love one another, but their definition of what love one another means, means destroying our laws,” she said. “It means completely perverting what our Constitution says. It means taking unreal advantage of the American taxpayer. And it means pushing a globalist policy on the American people and forcing America to become something that we are not supposed to be.”

She also suggested that the U.S. government should sever foreign aid to the home countries of undocumented immigrants who are “illegally invading.”
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:30 pm
It's interesting that you can even talk politics at all and still remain on speaking terms.
That used to be done with some frequency in the pre-Trumpian era, then things changed. It was similar to 21st Century Mormons sitting on the same row at church as 6th Century Mormons. The difference was that upon hearing the expression "breaking bread", the 6th Century Mormons started looking for a large rock.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:It's interesting that you can even talk politics at all and still remain on speaking terms.
Religion and politics bring out the worst from the best of people. And for those several rungs down from the top, it brings out really interesting dredge.

There are a lot of things in the world aside from politics, and so with me, he just has to try to live in the world that has nothing to do with what his network of angry junk emailers are pushing that day. There are lots of other things to talk about that keep us on speaking terms. Sometimes he slips, like this morning. But when I saw him later on, we just pretend it never happened.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Religion and politics bring out the worst from the best of people. And for those several rungs down from the top, it brings out really interesting dredge.

There are a lot of things in the world aside from politics, and so with me, he just has to try to live in the world that has nothing to do with what his network of angry junk emailers are pushing that day. There are lots of other things to talk about that keep us on speaking terms. Sometimes he slips, like this morning. But when I saw him later on, we just pretend it never happened.
I've defriended most of my left wing tennis buddies on Facebook. Now that I know their politics we just avoid the subject and we pretend our arguments never happened. It seems to work out for the better in that we can still enjoy the game we love together by making it apolitical. But it's getting harder at the pro level to keep the politics out with Wimbledon doing things like banning Russian players, the Covid lunacy and banning of Djokovic, or Serena's tantrums in which she plays the race and gender card. Thankfully it still seems to work out well for players like Tennys Sandgren who just refuse to speak to the media about politics.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter; I left Facebook a couple months after Facebook started; never registered on Twitter.

Not a sports fan but I can only imagine in today's climate it's quite a show. I imagine if I were watching sports, I'd respect those participants most who stayed professional and focused on the competition at hand.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Fox's support for Putin is still troubling. How can they justify the current bombing of Kyiv? If anything, you would imagine Fox would disagree with Putin's stated goal of eliminating Nazis, citing the doctrine of kindred ideologies as their motivation, of course, even Fox would probably bow to Trump's best buds with Putin thing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:07 pm

I've defriended most of my left wing tennis buddies on Facebook. Now that I know their politics we just avoid the subject and we pretend our arguments never happened. It seems to work out for the better in that we can still enjoy the game we love together by making it apolitical. But it's getting harder at the pro level to keep the politics out with Wimbledon doing things like banning Russian players, the Covid lunacy and banning of Djokovic, or Serena's tantrums in which she plays the race and gender card. Thankfully it still seems to work out well for players like Tennys Sandgren who just refuse to speak to the media about politics.
I think that’s how most people retain friendships when divided by politics or religion. I find it also helps to approach people with whom I disagree with curiosity as opposed to evangelism.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res Ipsa wrote:I think that’s how most people retain friendships when divided by politics or religion. I find it also helps to approach people with whom I disagree with curiosity as opposed to evangelism.
So this morning, I ran into this other right-wing guy, who has similar if not even more unhinged right-wing beliefs than my so-called right-wing friend, but, he's more intelligent and a fantastic listener. We almost never talk politics, but he's interested in the stock market (retired and doesn't trade, watches Fox and One News all day long), which ends up in some close calls. Anyway, stock market led to economy, which led to sustaining a large population of wealthy retirees like himself worldwide with eviscerated population growths worldwide, immigration and outsourcing, and I disclosed my bias on outsourcing given that Mitt Romney's company tried to outsource me (although failed) several years ago. You can't preach about people not paying taxes when your core business is shipping their jobs offshore. I actually wasn't trying to bait him, but, he was all-in on that, saying that he used to respect Romney a lot but now thinks he's a piece of crap. I asked him why, because despite my personal grievance, he's still relatively sane.

His answer was that Romney was against Trump. So I asked him on what issues, what did he do so wrong to justify that devaluation from a Buy to a Strong Sell? He said he didn't know. He admitted it was just for being against his guy. (he has a sense of humor)

So then, what did "his guy" do that was so important that nobody can be against him without being a piece of crap? I told him that I don't have a problem hearing opposing ideas to my own, it's just that, with so many issues out there, it's a never ending what about this or that, and so if he doesn't know what Romney did wrong, can he tell me what "his guy" did right? Give me the top one or two issues.

Trump was promoting oil and energy, the economy was good and Biden was against all that. So I asked the same question I ask on this forum, if you're an exporter, do you want the price of your export to go up or down? He got the point immediately and said he hadn't thought about that.

Well, the difference between him and my right-wing friend, unfortunately, won't amount to much in terms of ability to change his mind on anything. So while it felt good to have the right-wing individual actually comprehend the point, if nothing more than that, I realize that's going to be about the extent of it. And of course, I'm still willing to hear his side if he can come up with a couple more points. With his TV blasting the news for 16 hours a day, he should be able to come up with something for next time.