Systemic Racism is Alive and Well

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Systemic Racism in Louisiana

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:39 pm
Hasn’t it been pretty well accepted since Chomsky that grammar is essentially hard wired into humans? Are there any languages that don’t have some type of grammar? Is it even possible to have a language that has no grammar?
If this is true then how is saying that English grammar comes from Latin an accurate statement? The grammar was there before Anglo Saxons learned how to speak Latin.
The problem is that you're equivocating on the meaning of the word grammar. There may be formal labels in linguistics for the two meanings of the word, but I'm going to use "implicit grammar" and "explicit grammar." All languages have "implicit grammar," meaning, roughly, patterns and structure used to convert sounds into a language that permits communication between humans. That grammar exists independent of whether the language users even have a concept of grammar. The patterns and structures can evolve as language changes over time.

The implicit grammar of a language can be studied and codified into a set of rules, which is explicit grammar. Both implicit and explicit grammar are referred to as "grammar." Explicit grammar can tell us how a given language works. It can also be used as a set of rules for how the language should work.

As the wiki article explains, the first explicit English grammar was based on Latin Grammar. I'm guessing you can't find an explicit grammar for Old English because the speakers of that language hadn't recognized grammar as a concept. So, assuming your teacher was teaching you grammar and not Chomsky, he or she was correct to say that English (explicit) grammar comes from Latin. That fact explains why English (explicit) grammar has a bunch of arbitrary rules.

So, no, your teacher's statement wasn't part of some societal plot to hide the superiority of your Aryan ancestors. It was an accurate statement about English (explicit) grammar that explains why parts of it are so arbitrary.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:18 am
Gunnar wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Ilhan Omar was expressing her just opposition to corrupt Israeli Government politics and lobbyists, not the Jewish race or religion. There is nothing inherently anti-Semitic about that. She was right about that. You are aware, aren't you, that Netanyahu was recently voted out of office in disgrace, largely for his widely known, open corruption?
Why did Pelosi push Omar to apoligize and delete the tweet?
I'm not exactly sure. Perhaps Pelosi misconstrued what Omar said, the same way that that her conservative critics did, or just realized that what Omar said should have been better stated (which was true), but Omar made clear in her attempt at apology that it was not her intent to malign the Jewish faith or condemn Israelis merely for their ethnicity or religious beliefs.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is the Conservative backlash to Ji-Young, the first Asian-American muppet, warranted? What names would Ajax like to call this young muppet?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I see that the LA Supreme Court has suspended the judge.

ETA: Without pay and at her request.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/ne ... f.amp.html
he/him

drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It's funny she used the sedative excuse like many celebrities have done.

Are there any studies on "sedative induced racism?"
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:37 pm
It's funny she used the sedative excuse like many celebrities have done.

Are there any studies on "sedative induced racism?"
It’a a commonly listed side effect. “If your racism lasts any more than four hours, call your doctor.”
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:08 am
I’ve been trying to think of a slur against white folks who were enslaved by black or brown folks for decades.
When were white folks enslaved by black or brown folks?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:35 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:08 am
I’ve been trying to think of a slur against white folks who were enslaved by black or brown folks for decades.
When were white folks enslaved by black or brown folks?
Exactly!
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Exactly!
I am not sure what you are trying to demonstrate. Are black and brown folks less racist?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:54 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Exactly!
I am not sure what you are trying to demonstrate. Are black and brown folks less racist?
No idea. I’m saying Ajax is comparing apples and bongs.
he/him