Ghislaine Maxwell's Silver Hammer could be a proffer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell's Silver Hammer could be a proffer

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm
And all based on your own misunderstanding of what Catholics believe.
Many Catholics do believe god impregnated 14 year old Mary. Am I wrong? You can see a very young Mary in paintings and movies. Elpidia Carrillo was 16 years old when she portrayed the Virgin of Guadalupe. https://articlebio.com/elpidia-carrillo

And Catholics don't have a problem with that.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm
None of which say anything about whether Mexican Catholics would disobey jury instructions in a child abuse case.
Jury misconduct is very common. I don't think most jurors follow all the instructions.

In Mexico, "This difficulty in disclosure is worsened by the high frequency with which victims later retract their reports due to family pressures, not being believed, or fear of stigma and shame" https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/13/6931/htm

So yes, a Catholic jury would be very unlikely to convict an Epstein in court.
DT, you’re playing games with word “impregnated.” For Catholics, that does not mean God had sex with Mary. Mary became pregnant through the Holy Ghost. No man has the ability to do that. So, for you to claim that Mexican Catholics think it’s okay to have sex with underage girl because that’s what God did is based on (1) a wrong description of what Catholics believe and (2) no evidence whatsoever.

And you’ve shown no evidence that supports your claims that a Mexican jury wouldn’t follow jury instructions because they believe this fictional version of Catholic beliefs that you’ve made up.

I have no idea what the much worse thing was that happened to you, but it’s led you to become irrational in the topic of Mexican Catholics.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:20 am
For Catholics, that does not mean God had sex with Mary.
I am making no such claim. For many Catholics, there is nothing wrong with teen pregnancy. "Mexico has become a worldwide leader in teen pregnancy"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in- ... otherhood/

Religion helps to normalize teen pregnancy and child marriage. Statutory rape is probably not a big deal for someone who thinks teenage pregnancy isn't a problem. In South-Central Mexico, it is acceptable for a 14 year old to marry an old man.
Res Ipsa wrote:
And you’ve shown no evidence that supports your claims that a Mexican jury wouldn’t follow jury instructions because they believe this fictional version of Catholic beliefs that you’ve made up.

There are many reasons why a Catholic jury wouldn't convict; religion is one of the many reasons. Religion does affect the way people think.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:48 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
For Catholics, that does not mean God had sex with Mary.
I am making no such claim. For many Catholics, there is nothing wrong with teen pregnancy. "Mexico has become a worldwide leader in teen pregnancy"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in- ... otherhood/

Religion helps to normalize teen pregnancy and child marriage. Statutory rape is probably not a big deal for someone who thinks teenage pregnancy isn't a problem. In South-Central Mexico, it is acceptable for a 14 year old to marry an old man.
Res Ipsa wrote:

There are many reasons why a Catholic jury wouldn't convict; religion is one of the many reasons. Religion does affect the way people think.
You haven’t even shown that Catholic juries won’t convict, so there’s nothing to explain other then why you’ve started to post bigoted statements about Mexican Catholics. Now you’ve conflated the fact that teenage girls get pregnant with how adults feel about that and just assume that pregnant teen = child abuse.

I don’t know what your grudge is, but it’s clearly overridden your ability to make rational statements about Mexican Catholics.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:09 am
Now you’ve conflated the fact that teenage girls get pregnant with how adults feel about that and just assume that pregnant teen = child abuse.
According to the Bible, the oldest being in the universe impregnated 13 year old Mary, it was not another teenager. Wouldn't impregnating a 13 year old (regardless of the method) be child abuse?

I am not saying god impregnating Mary is the only reason why Catholics wouldn't convict, what I am trying to say is that Mexican Catholics don't see a problem.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:09 am
You haven’t even shown that Catholic juries won’t convict
The answer: Culture. Catholicism may not be solely responsible, but it does influence Mexican culture.
While the vast majority of Americans would be shocked by the cultural norms, which make this type of abomination commonplace throughout “our neighbor to the South.” ... the age of sexual consent throughout much of Mexico, including its capital city, is only 12-years of age. Unfortunately, the culture of having sex with young girls
https://usinc.org/fact-the-age-of-sexua ... is-only-12
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:52 pm
According to the Bible, the oldest being in the universe impregnated 13 year old Mary,
Here are the two biblical accounts of the conception of Jesus.

Matthew Chapter 1:
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Luke Chapter 1:
26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,

27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.

30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.

32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Can you show me the bit where they say that, in the physical sense in which you clearly intend the term to be understood by your readers, "the oldest being in the universe impregnated 13 year old Mary'? I pass over the fact that the Bible says nothing about Mary's age.

I am an atheist, and I have no skin in this game. But your obsessive insistence that the conception narrative in these two Biblical sources has something to do with the alleged prevalence of the abuse of girls in Catholic countries seems to me to be frankly rather weird as well as unjustified. I can only ask myself what you get out of posting the same stuff over and over and over again.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:39 pm
Can you show me the bit where they say that, in the physical sense in which you clearly intend the term to be understood by your readers, "the oldest being in the universe impregnated 13 year old Mary'? I pass over the fact that the Bible says nothing about Mary's age.
Catholics do believe in tradition and apocrypha. Catholics reject Sola scriptura.

"While unproven, some apocryphal accounts state that at the time of her betrothal to Joseph, Mary was 12–14 years old.[1] According to ancient Jewish custom, Mary could have been betrothed at about 12"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_mother_of_Jesus

But it doesn't matter because the majority of Catholics are not scholars. Have you seen what is portrayed in Mexican paintings and movies?

https://desdelafe.mx/noticias/sabias-qu ... acimiento/

https://parroquiasjuanbautista.blogspot ... maria.html

According to a famous Catholics newspaper, Mary was about 12 years old.
https://es.aleteia.org/2019/03/25/cuant ... -de-jesus/

Many Catholics do believe Mary was very young when she had Jesus. The point is that many Catholics don't see a problem with god impregnating young Mary. It is disturbing, even if Mary wasn't under 18, it would still be abuse regardless.
Chap wrote:
But your obsessive insistence that the conception narrative in these two Biblical sources has something to do with the alleged prevalence of the abuse of girls in Catholic countries to be frankly rather weird as well as unjustified.
Alleged? "Mexico ranks first globally in child sex abuse with 5.4 million cases a year."
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Mex ... -0009.html

"While the vast majority of Americans would be shocked by the cultural norms, which make this type of abomination commonplace throughout “our neighbor to the South.” ... the age of sexual consent throughout much of Mexico, including its capital city, is only 12-years of age. Unfortunately, the culture of having sex with young girls"
https://usinc.org/fact-the-age-of-sexua ... s-only-12/

I am only arguing that the Catholic church does influence Mexican culture. Do you disagree?
Chap wrote:

I can only ask myself what you get out of posting the same stuff over and over and over again.
Nothing. You are simply arguing that I am wrong. Had Doctor Steuss not added words to my mouth this new thread wouldn't exists
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

It is abuse, even if Mary was over 18.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
But your obsessive insistence
You are the one obsessed. You pointed to a minor detail, but ignore my main points.

You are right, the Bible doesn't say Mary was 13. That was not my point.

Am I tired of your Catholic ass kissing. You are ignorant about Mexican culture.

Five pages of a stupid debate just because I said, "Christians don't have a problem with god impregnating 14 year old Mary." WOW!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

No five pages of debate because you made a bigoted assertion:
A Latino Catholic jury would've declared her not guilty on all counts. Christians don't have a problem with god impregnating 14 year old Mary.
"Latino Catholic jury." As Maxwell was being prosecuted in the U.S. and not Latin America, your statement is about American Catholic Latinos. Your statement about Christians is relevant only if God had sexual intercourse with Mary. After five pages, you've thrown up a bunch of red herrings and bigoted assertions, but no evidence to support what you actually said.
he/him

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Yes, yesss... gooood. Let the Mexihate flow through you...