Ben Shapiro lies about Omicron and vaccines

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Ben Shapiro lies about Omicron and vaccines

Post by K Graham »

On Fox News, Ben Shapiro says vaccine mandates are the cause of overwhelmed hospitals

Shapiro: “Omicron is not causing mass death, it is not causing mass hospitalization

WTF? Hospitalizations are hitting record highs all across the country in number of patients taken in, and the CDC has determined that 95% of those cases involve Omicron. We also know that among those hospitalized for COVID, 90+% of them are unvaccinated.

"In fact, the problems that we are having in terms of hospital shortages are largely due to the vax mandates and a lot of healthcare workers who are not going back to work because they are not allowed to work. "

Excuse me? This is a a manufactured lie in Right Wing media that has been debunked. Ben Shapiro is a shameless political hack and opportunist who lies for profit.

He also claims, ironically, that Biden lied by saying he would "shut down the virus," ignoring the context of his remarks during the Presidential debate when he was responding to Trump's accusation that he wanted to "shut down the economy." Biden hasn't even been in office a full year and Shapiro is acting like the game is already over because COVID hasn't vanished in his first ten months. Biden never said the pandemic would end in his first year but at this rate we should have enough of the country vaccinated to get to herd immunity easily before he leaves office.

Thing is, the vast majority of the people dying from COVID in the USA are Trump loving morons who refuse to vaccinate. If they would have gotten their heads out of their asses and vaccinated earlier last year, we could have this under control by now. But Republicans in the media sabotaged Biden's attempt to "shut down the virus" by fighting against the science and promoting crackpot doctors who make up baseless claims about the efficacy of vaccines, push fake cures, etc. And after they sacrifice their own base at the altar of Trumpism, they then have the audacity to whine because Biden points out that the people dying are mostly the unvaccinated. Well no crap, why should he be attacked for stating a hard fact the Right Wing media refuses to say>?
Last edited by K Graham on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Re: Ben Shapiro lies about Omicron and vaccines

Post by Gunnar »

It has tragically become blazingly and increasingly obvious that the overriding strategy of today's hopelessly Trump polluted Republican party is to 1. Shamelessly promote the lies that the 2020 was illegally stolen from Trump and about Omicron and vaccines, and 2. Do their darnedest to suppress voting and rig the U.S. election system so that Republicans can never again lose elections, even when they are clearly in the minority. Other than that, they have very little else to offer in their playbook that benefits anyone other than themselves and their wealthy corporate donors and lobbyists.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It will be interesting to see if the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with this strategy, or if they're able to stir up grassroots anger like they did in 2016.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:00 am
It will be interesting to see if the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot with this strategy, or if they're able to stir up grassroots anger like they did in 2016.
Well. If you take a look at this Reddit thread it’s a pretty good indicator how this Covid thing is trending with regard to Left/Right politics:

https://www.reddit.com/r/averagereddito ... of_others/

Obviously that subreddit leans Right. If you go to the referenced Reddit thread here, sorted by controversial:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... troversial

You’ll see the mental divide that’s taking place. The Right, generally speaking, doesn’t see Covid as a big deal, and feel “evil powers” are trying to control them while the Left, generally speaking, feels like you’re a murderer if you knowingly spread Covid and people die as a result.

Covid is no joke. I’m on like day 10 of this thing, and it’s hanging around. I don’t know how Republicans who get sick from Covid maintain their grip on their previously held notions this virus is no big deal.

Here are some more Conservative subreddits if you feel like getting a temp check:

- /r/WalkAway
- /r/LibsOfReddit
- /r/HillaryForPrison
- /r/FauciForPrison
- /r/HunterForPrison
- /r/EnoughAntifaSpam
- /r/GlobalLockdown
- /r/TheDonaldTrump2024
- /r/Patriot911
- /r/Conservative_News
- /r/FreePress

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:56 am

Covid is no joke. I’m on like day 10 of this thing, and it’s hanging around. I don’t know how Republicans who get sick from Covid maintain their grip on their previously held notions this virus is no big deal.

- Doc
Are you okay or not? Did you have to go for an infusion? Tell me what you know about first hand experience with Omicron, please.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:56 am
I don’t know how Republicans who get sick from Covid maintain their grip on their previously held notions this virus is no big deal.
But statistically a Republican is less likely to die from Covid.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:21 am
and the CDC has determined that 95% of those cases involve Omicron.
But would it be possible for a lot of patients to be testing positive for Omicron but for Omicron to not be "causing mass hospitalization"?

For example, here in Los Angeles, the County reported that for County hospitals...
Roughly two-thirds of patients who have tested positive at hospitals run by the L.A. County Department of Health Services were admitted for something other than the coronavirus, according to Health Services Director Dr. Christina Ghaly.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... rge-in-l-a
So, if 2/3 of "covid patients" were admitted for something other than the coronavirus, would it be fair to say that Omicron is causing mass hospitalization?

Thing is, the vast majority of the people dying from COVID in the USA are Trump loving morons who refuse to vaccinate.
Do you have the data on that? What percentage of people dying are "Trump loving morons who refuse to vaccinate"? This report from October looked at why people are "vaccine hesitant" and determined:
The fact that an individual is still unvaccinated could be due to lack of access, missing support systems, or a lack of community investment. In the more than 40% of the U.S. population that remains unvaccinated, there are, of course, still many people who insist on selfish, dangerous opinions concerning the COVID-19 vaccines; however, these data show that the majority of vaccine hesitant people may simply not have received the support and outreach they deserve.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/pandemic-da ... government
I have no doubt many (too many) Trump loving morons are unvaxxed and dying, but "the vast majority"? Not so sure about that.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

cinepro wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:36 pm

But would it be possible for a lot of patients to be testing positive for Omicron but for Omicron to not be "causing mass hospitalization"?

For example, here in Los Angeles, the County reported that for County hospitals...
That's one anecdote from one hospital whereas the CDC number of 95% refers to nationwide.
cinepro wrote:
So, if 2/3 of "covid patients" were admitted for something other than the coronavirus, would it be fair to say that Omicron is causing mass hospitalization?
Absolutely fair, because the data on nationwide Omicron cases doesn't rely on one hospital. The data suggests hospitals ICU units are being completely overrun. Are you telling me that's because we've had a massive wave of non-COVID illnesses that require ICU/ventilators?
cinepro wrote:

Do you have the data on that? What percentage of people dying are "Trump loving morons who refuse to vaccinate"? This report from October looked at why people are "vaccine hesitant" and determined:
That report didn't poll people to ask about political affiliation. However this one did.
The divide between the vaccinated and unvaccinated was especially apparent along political lines. Among unvaccinated voters polled by Change Research, 87% said they voted for Trump. Some 60% said they were Republican.
I think 87% is a vast majority, sure.

The Covid-19 vaccination map looks almost exactly like the election map

The Red/Blue Divide in COVID-19 Vaccination Rates
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

cinepro wrote:

Yes, unless you can show that some other cause of hospitalization is up significantly. That number for L.A. County hospitals is the lowest percentage I've heard. NY is running about 50-50. A couple of things, though. First, there are reports of many people showing up for heart and other problems caused by an earlier case of COVID. So, which bucket did they get put in. Second, COVID is a significant complication for conditions that put people in the hospital, taking up more hospital resources than would otherwise be the case. Finally, COVID is causing high rates of sickness among hospital staff, lowering hospital capacity. Both those admitted "for COVID" and those admitted "with COVID" can transmit the disease to hospital personnel.

I think I read that CA hospital staff can now continue to work if they have an asymptomatic infection. That's quite a drop in the standard of care.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Great point about the longer term impacts for covid patients, ares.

Another factor worth considering is staffing shortage which existed to some degree prior to covid but have exploded in the last 2 years. Our largest local hospital is down 5 ICU beds for staffing issues (doesn't sound like a lot until you need one of those beds or you realize we are the primary care for the surrounding 3 counties) . I'll be happy to pull the data later but it isn't much of a shocker that current pressures have caused staffing problems.

When we say "covid is over running hospitals" it isn't just the sick that is at play, but the labor required to care for those sick as well.

ETA: and in checking my local numbers this morning the good news is that ICU capacity usage remains lower than previous case spikes even with that reduced capacity, 85% currently compared to previous full utilization during our worst and a very long 98%+ stretch. This is at roughly comparable infections per 100k so I'm cautiously optimistic for the time being. Sure there are plenty of other issues with the rampant spread but the good news is this round appears to be slightly less taxing on our local infrastructure (knock on wood).
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon