Ben Shapiro lies about Omicron and vaccines

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Ben Shapiro lies about Omicron and vaccines

Post by Gunnar »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:53 pm
Thank you. This is something I've been trying to pound into ajax's head for quite some time now.
I guess your sledgehammer is not yet big enough. ;)
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 pm
For sure. There was something floating around the interwebz a while back where people were asked if a 1/4 pound burger is bigger than a 1/3 pound burger, and which one should cost more? Not only did they have trouble with the first proposition, but layering the second proposition over the first one caused immediate confusion in most people. Think about the average person’s ability to discern fact from fiction during a broadcast or reading a post on Facebook if it requires thinking rather than affirmation of a pre-held belief. It’s not in the realm of possibility. It’s this simple fact that cult leaders have so much success with their followers - the latter don’t have to reason out anything if The Way is straightforward and unthinking. If *I* am currently ok, why would *I* need to think about others’ welfare? <- That’s an object lesson in 1) the inability to think abstracly or asymmetrically, and 2) an inability to layer a second variable over the first. Most people can’t do either.

Sad. :(

- Doc
Another example is the number of people who seemingly are baffled by the question, "If you are driving 60 mph, how long will it take you to go 60 miles?" I saw at least one video of a guy in a car asking that question of his fellow passengers, none of whom could figure out the right answer, much to the amusement of the asker. Yet another example: I know of a store that ran an experiment by running a "special" posted in their front window offering some items at 20 cents apiece or 4 for a dollar. A surprising number of people who purchased the items, chose the option of 4 for a dollar, thinking they were getting a bargain!
Last edited by Gunnar on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 pm
Another example is the number of people who seemingly are baffled by the question, "If you are driving 60 mph, how long will it take you to go 60 miles?" I saw at least one video of a guy in a car asking that question of his fellow passengers, …

For your viewing pleasure:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 pm
Another example is the number of people who seemingly are baffled by the question, "If you are driving 60 mph, how long will it take you to go 60 miles?" I saw at least one video of a guy in a car asking that question of his fellow passengers, …

For your viewing pleasure:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
Yep. That's one of them.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 pm
In my state, there are no government required lockdowns. But schools and businesses are having to close because so many employees are sick. This is exactly the kind of uncontrolled shutdown of the economy that Ajax has been demanding since 2020. He’s whining about lockdowns when the economic disruptions happening in the US now are almost entirely due to “let ‘er rip.”

The CDC’s current recommendations are a crisis standard of care for the nation, sacrificing short-term and long-term and lives to keep the economy “open.”

My son is working a food service job. They are already struggling to stay open. Two days ago and employee and a brother that she lives with had symptoms and they both got PCR tested. He was positive. She was negative. She took a rapid test the next day and it was positive. When she called in sick, the supervisor (who describes COVID as “the sniffles,” told her to come to work because there were lots of “false positives.” This supervisor is the owners’ son. One of the other employers called the owner who, after hearing what was going on, told the supervisor she was not to come in, at least that day.

My son and the employee who tested positive were scheduled to work together today. We had a long talk after he asked me what he should do if she reported for work. It became moot when he reported for work only to learn they’d changed the schedule without notifying him.

It’s complete chaos, and there is tremendous incentive to pressure employees to work when they are infected, guidelines be dammed. They and other businesses in our area (including the local pharmacy I use) have had to reduce hours because they are running out of healthy employees.

Meanwhile, half our high schools in the district are now closed because they’ve run out of healthy teachers, subs, and administrative staff to keep the place running. And what’s going on inside the other other school buildings looks more like mass, organized babysitting than classroom instruction. The district put together a snazzy online dashboard to inform folks about the stats on Ill teachers and students in each school and whether instruction was currently in person or online. After a week it was so far behind in reporting that it looks like they just gave up.

I’m afraid that what we’re looking at is the new normal. We’ve got a disease that attacks and damages the lungs, heart, kidneys, brain and other organs. It doesn’t provoke any sort of durable immunity and even the more durable vaccine immunities appear to fall off rather quickly.

This disease isn’t anywhere near endemic, and there is little reason, despite all the bloviating, to expect that it will anytime soon. This wave is seriously damaging our healthcare system, leaving us in worse shape for the next. The education system isn’t far behind.

We need to wean ourselves off of hopium, stop fooling ourselves into thinking that we’ll be back to normal any day now, and start thinking about how to adapt to a periodic waves of illness and death for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the report. I'm sickened by it. I've read where school districts (not here yet that I know of) are trying to get retired teachers in as subs. I am sure that the medical field is trying to enlist the support of retired health care professionals.

I am a retired teacher. The guy I live with is a retired RN with a current license. Now...think with me here...what does anyone think the actual chances are that any of us who are retired are willing to jump back in the ring when many of us are already at high risk due to age and medical status?

We're chasing rainbows here. We're delusional. The writing is on the wall and we're illiterate.

Our hospitals are going to battle field triage, our schools are falling apart, and so are our businesses. Pharmacies cutting hours of operation? How long before the supply end of it falls apart for the same reasons? Need some Tylenol? Heart meds? Insulin? Yeah, “F” off with that. Your baby has RSV and needs albuterol or a nebulizer? Too damned bad.

We've got vaccines, we've got masks, we've got social distancing, we've got some remote work for many, how in the hell many TIMES must this be repeated before people wake up?
Our governor called for retired health workers to help out in hospitals a week ago. Retired teachers are being asked to sub by various districts. Yeah, folks who are in the most vulnerable of groups are being asked to bail out idiots.

The chunk of people who now refuse to wear a mask or get a shot will never wake up. They will always find a way to blame the problem on someone else.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Oh what did I say about pharmacies cutting hours and damned off?

From our ND again:

My wife has diabetes and has been out of her meds for a week. We have also used that Walgreens. Her doctor has called it in numerous times. The other stores are also having trouble. They run out and are having trouble getting it in. I’m glad her numbers have been pretty much in range. Can be dangerous when you need the medication and can’t get it.

There ya go. The damned off has begun.
It's not just your area. https://abc7chicago.com/walgreens-cvs-c ... /11476574/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:17 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Oh what did I say about pharmacies cutting hours and damned off?

From our ND again:

My wife has diabetes and has been out of her meds for a week. We have also used that Walgreens. Her doctor has called it in numerous times. The other stores are also having trouble. They run out and are having trouble getting it in. I’m glad her numbers have been pretty much in range. Can be dangerous when you need the medication and can’t get it.

There ya go. The damned off has begun.
It's not just your area. https://abc7chicago.com/walgreens-cvs-c ... /11476574/
It's a domino effect. Like I said, the writing is on the wall and people in this country apparently can't read.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 am
It's a domino effect. Like I said, the writing is on the wall and people in this country apparently can't read.
Yes. Apparently an alarming number of Americans (predominantly, but not only, conservatives) are both illiterate and innumerate. This is dangerous!
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:18 pm
Thanks for bringing out that very important point. It is obvious that the greater the percentage of the population that is fully vaccinated, the greater will be percentage of covid victims who are fully vaccinated. For example: if the vaccine is 90% effective, and 90% of the population is fully vaccinated, then that 90% of the population would still have a 10% chance of catching covid if exposed to it. Even if 100% of the 10% who are still unvaccinated who are exposed to covid catch it, the number of unvaccinated victims of covid will almost certainly be smaller than the number of fully vaccinated people with covid. Obviously this doesn't mean there is no benefit in getting vaccinated.
Relevant calculator:

https://sanfordgordon.shinyapps.io/impliedefficacy/
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Thanks for bringing out that very important point. It is obvious that the greater the percentage of the population that is fully vaccinated, the greater will be percentage of covid victims who are fully vaccinated. For example: if the vaccine is 90% effective, and 90% of the population is fully vaccinated, then that 90% of the population would still have a 10% chance of catching covid if exposed to it. Even if 100% of the 10% who are still unvaccinated who are exposed to covid catch it, the number of unvaccinated victims of covid will almost certainly be smaller than the number of fully vaccinated people with covid. Obviously this doesn't mean there is no benefit in getting vaccinated.
Relevant calculator:

https://sanfordgordon.shinyapps.io/impliedefficacy/
Nice! That's a great illustration of the importance of accounting for the base rate.