Biology has a sense of humor

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Biology has a sense of humor

Post by MeDotOrg »

From The Daily Mail:

Specific cannabis compounds can prevent the virus that causes COVID-19 from entering human cells.

Researchers at Oregon State University identified a pair of cannabinoid acids that bind to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, blocking a critical step in the process the virus uses to infect people.

The team found the cannabis compounds, which can be taken orally and are abundantly found in hemp, blocked the alpha and beta variants from infecting the human cells - but the team notes those are the only two variants studied in this research.

This means, according to the team, the compounds could prove successfully in blocking other coronavirus strains.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Biology has a sense of humor

Post by Jersey Girl »

What about CBD gummies? Asking for a friend...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

While the article says 'specific cannabis compounds' it does not detail whether they are in cbd or thc, or whether it can be found in particular strains of marijuana. I will be plowing ahead with my own research (cough, cough).
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:42 am
While the article says 'specific cannabis compounds' it does not detail whether they are in cbd or thc, or whether it can be found in particular strains of marijuana. I will be plowing ahead with my own research (cough, cough).
Oh don't worry about the CBD v. THC. I got both! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDot you should post a copy of this in the Vaccines and Therapeutics thread. I'm serious.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

This is from a really quick skim (and even more brief searching), so take the following with that in mind:

The two compounds are CBDA and CBGA. Heat seems to be one of the main ways to convert CBDA to CBD/THC, so any type of process that uses heat to extract the oils for products would likely eliminate any CBDA (and the related benefit). Looks like CBGA requires an enzymatic pathway to be converted to other fun things, so that would probably be the more likely one to stick around and/or be present in any type of “supplement.”

CBGA might be more common in hemp than happy-sticky-purple-punch.

ETA: Steussian recommendation -- don't waste your money on hemp supplements.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Wow... I need to do my part to become "immunized" like Aaron Rogers.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.