Yet Another Good Reason for Switching to EVs

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Yet Another Good Reason for Switching to EVs

Post by Gunnar »

Tesla Model 3 Owner Thankful For His EV When Stuck On I-95
He was stuck for 14 hours without any issues while ICE owners had to worry about toxic fumes and running out of gas.

Tesla Model 3 owner Dan Kanninen writes, “I'm grateful that I was driving my EV when I got stuck on I-95.” We appreciate his precise use of words since it's not just Tesla's vehicles that will fare better than gas cars in such a situation, but virtually all electric cars.

Several media publications have published recent reports about people being stranded on Virginia's I-95 freeway. Following the reports, some people started a misinformation campaign stating that if EV owners had been stuck on the freeway, they would have been "left out in the cold" when the battery quickly died.

We've already published an article debunking such nonsense. In addition, several people in the Tesla and EV community have put out articles and videos to prove that the misinformation isn't just wrong, but the exact opposite is actually true.

A gas-powered car will almost certainly run out of gas sooner than an EV will die from its battery being depleted. In the meantime, as the ICE owner sits and waits in their car, they're parked on top of dangerous exhaust fumes, which could cause health issues. Kanninen shared:

"No, the recent nightmare on Virginia’s I-95 would not have been worse if everyone had been driving electric vehicles instead of gas-powered vehicles. In fact, everyone would have had a far better experience if they had been driving an EV."

Kanninen points to the recent Washington Post op-ed that claims EVs may "have littered the highway for miles” if everyone was driving electric cars during such a traffic backup. However, Kanninen was stuck on I-95 for 14 hours in his Model 3 Standard Range as he watched ICE drivers burning gas to keep the cars running. Meanwhile, his Model 3 wasn't really "running" per se, but just using the battery pack to keep the cabin warm.

When an EV is parked, it doesn't "run" like a gas car. It's similar to when you turn a gas car off but leave the accessories on so you can listen to music. However, in a gas car, leaving the accessories on doesn't heat the cabin. The engine must be running to do that, and while it's running, it's cranking out toxic exhaust fumes, which are supposed to be left behind the car as it moves.

If a gas car isn't moving, those fumes tend to collect around the car and it can begin to smell inside the vehicle. If you can smell the fumes, you'd better bet they're entering your body and causing potential health problems.

Kanninen goes on to share that he didn't have to worry about running out of gas, and he had a clear indication at all times of how much battery capacity was remaining. He also noted that since he charges his car at home, he hit the road with a full charge. There's a very good chance many gas-powered cars didn't get stuck in the situation with a topped-off tank of gas.
Think of that! The energy it takes to run the heat pump that keeps the cabin warm is a small fraction of the energy it takes to run the car. If the heater were the only part of the car being used, the battery could probably last a couple of days or more if it had to.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Re: Yet Another Good Reason for Switching to EVs

Post by Moksha »

As long as the vehicle has a port-a-potty, a case of diet cola, and a connection to Discuss Mormonism, the wait on I-95 becomes less of a grind.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:47 pm
As long as the vehicle has a port-a-potty, a case of diet cola, and a connection to Discuss Mormonism, the wait on I-95 becomes less of a grind.
Um, if you drink the cola, the process of so doing generates a series of empty containers that can be used to collect any other fluid of which you happen to have a supply ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:47 pm
:lol:
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Chap wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm
Um, if you drink the cola, the process of so doing generates a series of empty containers that can be used to collect any other fluid of which you happen to have a supply ...
One eternal round.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

FTR, I'm in love with our Teslas. I'll never go combustion engine again.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:05 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm
One eternal round.
I once saw a scrawl on the gents toilet wall in a pub that said:

"Remember, you don't buy beer in this pub. You only rent it."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.