Antivax Promoters Who Died Because of Their Stupidity

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Antivax Promoters Who Died Because of Their Stupidity

Post by Marcus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:28 am
ETA: From his wiki: He was critical of restrictions brought about in reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic, telling the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August 2021, "I hug people in the middle of COVID ... I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics." He described a person who called for people on airplanes to wear masks as a "Nazi" and "power-mad". Meat Loaf then said: "If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled."[134][135]
Well, he was right: he can't control himself when he's dead.

Meatloaf is better food than "music."

(I used to work in a bar that had an incessant need to play his crap every night. Man, I hated that. If I need to be angry, all I need to do is listen to Meatloaf or the Killers. damned awful.)
Although one of his songs does have the greatest line about youthful sex drive and "love" I ever heard.
(Spoiler alert, if necessary.......)

[in the throes of sex, one party stops and won't go on until the Q is answered]
"Will you love me forever?"

[interrupted one responds:]
"I couldn't take it any longer Lord I was crazed...
I swore that I would love you to the end of time!

[brief meatloaf style musical pause...]
"So now I'm praying for the end of time... To hurry up and arrive...."

That line always cracks me up.

I do find his music good for keeping on the treadmill when I really don't want to be there, though. It's so over the top and somehow motivating.

May he rest in peace, but WOW he was only 74, I think. What a price to pay over refusal to get a vaccine.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Well, he was right: he can't control himself when he's dead.

Meatloaf is better food than "music."

(I used to work in a bar that had an incessant need to play his crap every night. Man, I hated that. If I need to be angry, all I need to do is listen to Meatloaf or the Killers. damned awful.)
Although one of his songs does have the greatest line about youthful sex drive and "love" I ever heard.

I do find his music good for keeping on the treadmill when I really don't want to be there, though. It's so over the top and somehow motivating.

May he rest in peace, but WOW he was only 74, I think. What a price to pay over refusal to get a vaccine.
I think the music of Meat Loaf is grossly understood by some people. He was a theater performer long before he ever hit it big and continued to perform that genre via the music of Jim Steinman whose style of composition lent itself to Meat Loaf's theatrical voice and style of performance. I have more than one tribute to him on my R&R thread. I did a recent one for his RIP post. There's a link to a video there of him performing with Pavarotti. The song that you clipped the lyrics to--Paradise by the Dashboard Light--I love that for reasons I won't divulge here. :lol:

Age 74 does seem far too young unless you are indeed praying for the end of time in which case it might be just about right and not a minute too soon. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:32 pm
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:44 pm

I think the music of Meat Loaf is grossly understood by some people. He was a theater performer long before he ever hit it big and continued to perform that genre via the music of Jim Steinman whose style of composition lent itself to Meat Loaf's theatrical voice and style of performance. I have more than one tribute to him on my R&R thread. I did a recent one for his RIP post. There's a link to a video there of him performing with Pavarotti. The song that you clipped the lyrics to--Paradise by the Dashboard Light--I love that for reasons I won't divulge here. :lol:

Age 74 does seem far too young unless you are indeed praying for the end of time in which case it might be just about right and not a minute too soon. 8-)
Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of my faves. Although I don't think I have a story about that is nearly as interesting as yours sounds... ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:39 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:32 pm

Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of my faves. Although I don't think I have a story about that is nearly as interesting as yours sounds... ;)
Shut. Up.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Shut. Up.
Spill yer guts. You know you wanna... :twisted:
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:47 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:44 pm
Shut. Up.
Spill yer guts. You know you wanna... :twisted:
Me? I ain't telling you people crap.

Slava Ukraini!
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

The first time I heard that song was on my mission believe it or not. And it wasn't Meatloaf singing it. It was another missionary we were living with (there were six of us) and he would sing it all the time and I was like, "What in the hell are you singing, that can't possibly be a song." Good ole Elder Knudsen and his singing. He also exposed me to Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.
Last edited by K Graham on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

K Graham wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:33 am
The first time I heard that song was on my mission believe it or not. And it wasn't Meatloaf singing it. It was another missionary we were living with (there were six of us) and he would sing it all the time and I was like, "What in the hell are you singing, that's can't possibly be a song." Good ole Elder Knudsen and his singing. He also exposed me to Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.
LOL. We didn't have a truck in my first area, so we had long days hiking across the mesa to visit a hogan or two. We sang a lot. I don't recall specifics, but I know it wasn't hymns. :twisted: My companion taught me lots and lots of Monty Python bits. Good times. :mrgreen:
he/him

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Another addition to the list: Robert LeMay, a Washington State trooper fired for refusing to get vaccinated. He was lionized and promoted as a hero and inspiring example by Fox News for his "courageous" stance, shortly after his firing. They have nothing to say about him now, after dying from covid! The hypocrisy of this is astounding in the light of the fact that despite misinformation they are doubling down on spreading to their fans, few if any, organizations have stricter vaccine and testing mandates for their own employees than Faux News! (pun intended).
Chris Hayes: For ratings, for fame, for cynical, monetary purposes, that network—overseen by CEO Suzanne Scott—has decided to fan the flames of vaccine resistance. And it's getting thousands of people killed. And when those people die, they are of course forgotten by Fox News
As Chris Hayes pointed out in the video
More Americans have died of COVID in the last 11 days than have died of murder in any year ever.
How many thousands of preventable deaths have resulted from people believing the anti-vaccination misinformation that Fox News seems increasingly determined to promulgate? I don't think it is the slightest bit hyperbolic to regard that propaganda purveyor as accessories to mass murder!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.