Cop grabs throat... of female officer trying to stop him

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Cop grabs throat... of female officer trying to stop him

Post by K Graham »

This was pretty horrific to see. Is this guy having a roid rage or something?

Remember, back the blue.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Cop grabs throat... of female officer trying to stop him

Post by Dr. Shades »

What do you hope that we learn from this thread?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:02 pm
Too many cops have no business being cops. We need reform. We need people in law enforcement who are trained in de-escalation not vice versa.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:02 pm
Too many cops have no business being cops. We need reform. We need people in law enforcement who are trained in de-escalation not vice versa.
Everybody already knows that. Especially that guy's supervisor.

And yes, back the blue.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

My question is -- I know almost nothing about law enforcement or LE culture etc. -- what's supply and demand like for cops? Are lots of people trying to become cops or are they hard to find? In other words, how picky can we be when hiring cops?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 am
My question is -- I know almost nothing about law enforcement or LE culture etc. -- what's supply and demand like for cops? Are lots of people trying to become cops or are they hard to find? In other words, how picky can we be when hiring cops?
I bet if we required a 4-year degree in Criminal Justice or Law Enforcement (whatever that’d look like), followed by a couple of years of job training before a cop hits the streets, and then backed by excellent pay out of the gate we’d see the quality of LEO recruits rise dramatically.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 am
Gadianton wrote:
My question is -- I know almost nothing about law enforcement or law enforcement culture etc. -- what's supply and demand like for cops? Are lots of people trying to become cops or are they hard to find? In other words, how picky can we be when hiring cops?
I bet if we required a 4-year degree in Criminal Justice or Law Enforcement (whatever that’d look like), followed by a couple of years of job training before a cop hits the streets, and then backed by excellent pay out of the gate we’d see the quality of LEO recruits rise dramatically.

- Doc
Bingo!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I can't say that wouldn't happen, but where I'm skeptical is how many people with the means and determination to do a 4-year degree are interested in getting shot at vs. something else without the risk? And how would a 4-year degree help with grabbing a taser instead of a pistol in the heat of battle?

I'm sure it depends on location, but a lot of cops are in constant intense situations. A guy I worked with did a few ride-alongs with a relative in Orange County, he said it was nuts.

Speaking of location; this guy I've ran into a few times on my walks lived in China for several years. He says it's pretty nice. Super low crime. He said the regular street cops weren't armed. The cops a level up were armed but not needed very often.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gadianton wrote:
My question is -- I know almost nothing about law enforcement or law enforcement culture etc. -- what's supply and demand like for cops? Are lots of people trying to become cops or are they hard to find? In other words, how picky can we be when hiring cops?
It all depends on the economy. If the economy is bad, then lots of people are out of work and many of them apply for law enforcement. Conversely, if the economy is good, then everyone can make more money elsewhere and nobody applies.
Speaking of location; this guy I've ran into a few times on my walks lived in China for several years. He says it's pretty nice. Super low crime. He said the regular street cops weren't armed. The cops a level up were armed but not needed very often.
Do you think it's just random chance that the U.S.A. is so much different from that, or do you think there are specific, concrete reasons therefor?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 am
Does "out of the gate" mean at the start of that two-year job training, or at the end thereof?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Do you think it's just random chance that the U.S.A. is so much different from that, or do you think there are specific, concrete reasons therefor?
I think in China, people are terrified of the government. In the USA, we think the capitol is our house and we can breach it anytime and attack officials if we don't like what's going on there.

One option is for the USA to become more totalitarian.