I changed my mind about illegal immigration

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

I changed my mind about illegal immigration

Post by doubtingthomas »

I still think illegal immigration is good for the US economy, but illegal immigration is hurting low-skilled Americans. I now think all young illegal immigrants must go until the US fixes it's problems first.

"The negative effect of immigration on wages is primarily confined to native workers in low-skilled occupations. Immigration lowers wages for those at the bottom of the economic scale...the introduction of immigrants in the labor force increases consumption, spending, and investing, which leads to an increase in GDP and economic growth."
https://digitalcommons.winthrop.edu/sou ... ances/217/

"Those panelists that found modest effects overall nonetheless found significant effects in industry sectors such as meatpacking and construction....Moreover, halting illegal immigration is not a panacea even for the problem of depressed wage rates for low-skilled jobs... Still, the effect of illegal immigration on the wages of low-skilled workers, who are disproportionately minority members, is a piece of the puzzle that must be considered by policymakers in formulating sound immigration policy."
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2728791

Other reasons why young illegal immigrants need to leave

1. Many come here just to work for a few years and take all their savings back to Mexico.

2. There is no evidence that illegal immigrants commit less violent crimes than middle class citizens.

3. Many illegal immigrants pay the drug cartels to help them cross the border. Drug cartels kill thousands of people every year.

4. Many illegal immigrants hate the US and some think the drug lords are heroes.

5. The children of illegal immigrants born in the US do commit more crimes. It is probably not a coincidence that Los Angeles has the most violent neighborhoods in the country.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegle ... 006961341f
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Re: I changed my mind about illegal immigration

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 pm
Immigration lowers wages for those at the bottom of the economic scale...

Who is deciding what their wage will be?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 pm
Other reasons why young illegal immigrants need to leave
When is the cut-off between young and not young?
1. Many come here just to work for a few years and take all their savings back to Mexico.
So you'd rather they stay here until they die?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:07 am
So you'd rather they stay here until they die?
No, it would be a lot better if they spend their money here in the US. Most of the money illegal immigrants make goes to Mexico.
canpakes wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:27 pm

Who is deciding what their wage will be?
I don't know, I simply quoted a non-partisan study. The study does conclude illegal immigration is good for the US economy.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Similarly, the percentage who had completed a bachelor’s or higher degree was higher in 2016 than 2010 for adults who were White (35 and 31 percent, respectively), Black (21 and 18 percent, respectively), Hispanic (15 and 13 percent, respectively),
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/raceindica ... or_rfa.asp

It is probably racist not to support deportation.