Bigfoot

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: Bigfoot

Post by Nomomo »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 am
I personally judge the evidence — chiefly provided by Melba S. Ketchum, the lead of The Sasquatch Genome Project, and the dozens or so unofficial researchers (e.g., Ivan T. Sanderson, Bernard Heuvelmans, Carleton S. Coon, George Allen Agogino, William Charles Osman Hill, David J. Daegling, George Schaller, Russell Mittermeier, Daris Swindler, and Esteban Sarmiento) — for the literal, physical existence of some sort of large 15 foot tall ape in the woods to be extremely strong, indeed nearly if not altogether conclusive.
(◔_◔) Rational Wiki - Bigfoot & Science https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bigfoot#B ... nd_science
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 am
In the past couple of days, I happen to have run across declarations (elsewhere) from critics of Bigfoot who express their absolute certitude that there is no physical Bigfoot. Period. End of story. They’re not just saying, I think, that Bigfoot isn't really Big or that the he doesn't live up in the woods, nor even that they’re unpersuaded that Bigfoot really existed.. They’re saying that Bigfoot is flatly nonexistent, either a lie ginned up by the boundlessly mendacious Bigfoot community or, if they’re feeling more charitable, a figment of hikers' deranged imagination. And that there is no debate on the matter, no contrary position even to be considered. Case closed.

I’m struck, and mystified, by their certitude. I personally judge the evidence — chiefly provided by Melba S. Ketchum, the lead of The Sasquatch Genome Project, and the dozens or so unofficial researchers (e.g., Ivan T. Sanderson, Bernard Heuvelmans, Carleton S. Coon, George Allen Agogino, William Charles Osman Hill, David J. Daegling, George Schaller, Russell Mittermeier, Daris Swindler, and Esteban Sarmiento) — for the literal, physical existence of some sort of large 15 foot tall ape in the woods to be extremely strong, indeed nearly if not altogether conclusive. Whatever one thinks of their nature or provenance, their flat existence seems to me difficult to plausibly deny.

And yet these folks deny it, and seem to have no real problem denying it. For them, or so they say, the issue is unambiguous. There just aren't any Bigfoot, and (they sometimes add) it’s simply ridiculous to imagine that there <i>were</i>.
You sound like a Mormon apologist.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Indeed, one particular apologist had something similar to argue:
In the past couple of days, I happen to have run across declarations (elsewhere) from critics of the Church who express their absolute certitude that there were no physical Book of Mormon plates. Period. End of story. They’re not just saying, I think, that the plates weren’t really ancient or that the plates weren’t really engraved with an ancient Nephite text, nor even that they’re unpersuaded that such plates really existed.. They’re saying that the plates were flatly nonexistent, either a lie ginned up by the boundlessly mendacious Joseph Smith or, if they’re feeling more charitable, a figment of his deranged imagination. And that there is no debate on the matter, no contrary position even to be considered. Case closed.

I’m struck, and mystified, by their certitude. I personally judge the evidence — chiefly provided by Joseph Smith, the eleven official Book of Mormon witnesses, and the half dozen or so unofficial witnesses (e.g., Emma Smith, William Smith, Katharine Smith Salisbury, Lucy Harris, Josiah Stowell, Mary Musselman Whitmer, and, indirectly, Lucy Mack Smith) — for the literal, physical existence of some sort of metallic plates in the possession of Joseph Smith in the late 1820s to be extremely strong, indeed nearly if not altogether conclusive. Whatever one thinks of their nature or provenance, their flat existence seems to me difficult to plausibly deny.

And yet these folks deny it, and seem to have no real problem denying it. For them, or so they say, the issue is unambiguous. There just weren’t any plates, and (they sometimes add) it’s simply ridiculous to imagine that there were.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Well done, thou good and faithful servant. :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 pm
Well done, thou good and faithful servant. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can you please change it to the Terrestrial Forum?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 pm
Change what to the Terrestrial Forum, and why?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 pm
Change what to the Terrestrial Forum, and why?
I'm assuming it's because the OP is using Bigfoot as a parallel to DCP's post, which is a Mormon topic. I'd defer to drumdude on his choice of forum. Moving it to the Mormon Discussions side of the board would spoil the effect he has set up. Kind of like spoiling the punch line.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Repost:
I love stories about the The 3 Nephites & Cain! On a related note my wife and I were at Lowes to get a thing, but she stayed in the car while I got the thing. I came out of the store to see her talking to Daryl Wilson “Big Foot Enthusiast” who recently spoke at one of those paranormal larp-conferences in my area. He really was a Big Foot enthusiast and regaled us with stories about Big Foot whether or not we appeared interested in Big Foot stories. I guess years ago he was in Alaska doing whatever and he spotted Big Foot eating salmon and berries next to a river.

-_-

When he learned I grew up in the Pacific Northwest he was hoping I had my own experience with a Big Foot. Alas, much to his disappointment, I did not. The disappointment on his face was so apparent I felt it in my soul, so I told him my ‘black triangle’ story which perked him right up. He wanted to film me telling him my story, but I declined.

He was disappointed again.

- Doc
I actually have a big foot story. When my wife and I were hiking in Vermont we crested a small hill on a service road. There, plain as day, was a black big foot on all fours sniffing around. We were within 30 yards or so, and when it saw us it literally jumped straight into the air, did a sort of pirouette, and took off into the woods on all fours.

I’m just glad we weren’t packing a picanic basket.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’ve had very similar encounters with a big foot researcher and the big for you encountered. When it dawned on me that I shouldn’t wait for the bear to discover me by running into me, I waved my hiking pole and yelled “hey bear”! I scared the hell out of it. It jumped in the air, executed a triple toe loop in pike position with three and a half twists, and shot off into the forest like a rocket.
he/him