NFL Playoffs

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Brack
Deacon

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post by Brack »

Josh Allen played virtually a perfect game and still lost. Only piece of strategy maybe his team could have executed better was to not kick into the end zone and give Mahomes the last 15 sec of regulation to get into field goal position from the 25. Mahomes is just too good and he plays smart.

It was only 13 seconds.

Bills vs. Chiefs Divisional Round Highlights
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dp2ZKi0cc
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

It seems I tend to pick my fav team on how whiney the Q-back is. With a perpetually frowning Eli being the base model and Jimmy G. being at the other end. Jimmy seems to be pretty good natured even when faced with stupid reporter questions.

Speaking of Eli, I just discovered (decided to take a look) him and his bro doing M-night football on ESPN 2. Now I like him again.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I guess I have to get this off my chest. The game I had emotional investment in was the Rams vs Brady. (rooting for the Rams) Through the first half it was all going better than hoped. They were on the edge of seeming to put the game away when the wheels started to fall off. I was shocked a few times but my, wordless, The Rams had the ball and suddenly I am watching the thing bouncing down the field all by it self in the wrong direction. Further and further it went we various folks chasing after the thing. My eyes were bugging out , could this be possible? I cannot remember such a thing before, game broadcast interrupted by a joke??

Am I exaggerating in thinking I have never seen such a botch before? Maybe in a high school game? Maybe somebodies nightmare.

This all time spectacular gaff was not the only or last. I was stunned in the end to see the Rams win. They did didn't they? It is hard to hold the idea in mind as real. How? I was in such a shock that I could not face the second game until the fourth quarter. Well that quarter had a game worth of action. Exhausted.

I have a faint memory of an old football story , college I believe, of a misdirected fellow who upon getting the handoff runs the wrong way to his own endzone. Move over famous negative plays.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 am
The shootout between Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen was one of the greatest quarterback duels I've ever seen. Schmo, I wanted Buffalo also. You figure with 13 seconds left they had a lock....but not this weekend.
Just before they kicked off, all I was thinking was, "Short squib kick and it's over..." and then I see it sailing into the endzone and thought, "Overtime."

It was one of the worst mistakes I've ever seen in a game. It was so obvious what to do there, and they didn't.
MeDotOrg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 am
I'm a 49'er fan, but this team is weird. Remember when the Ravens won the Superbowl with Trent Dilfer at Quarterback? The 49'ers remind me of a little of that team. Killer defense, good running game, hope the QB hangs in there. I think Garoppolo is better than Dilfer. This team is erratic but it has heart. Deebo Samuel has been incredible.
Yes to all of that, especially Garoppolo being better than Dilfer (I've always said Dilfer was the worst QB ever to win the Super Bowl, and I always bring up his name when people argue that QBs are measured by championships).

Jimmy is a little underrated. I'd put him in the same class as Eli Manning (in fact, he reminds me a lot of the way Eli plays). He can be wicked hot one minute and give the game away the next.

And what can you say about Samuel? That guy is balls to the wall awesome. The Niners are actually pretty stacked right now with talent, considering Kittle, Bosa, Warner, and Samuel. Those guys are all top three in their respective positions. The team is certainly good enough to win it all.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

dantana wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:57 am
It seems I tend to pick my fav team on how whiney the Q-back is. With a perpetually frowning Eli being the base model and Jimmy G. being at the other end. Jimmy seems to be pretty good natured even when faced with stupid reporter questions.

Speaking of Eli, I just discovered (decided to take a look) him and his bro doing M-night football on ESPN 2. Now I like him again.
I think Eli just has resting sad face.

The commercial with Eli and Payton talking about the helmet catch cracks me up every time. Payton Manning has serious comedic chops.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

And... this is what happen when you hit "Quote" rather than "Edit."

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:32 am
I guess I have to get this off my chest. The game I had emotional investment in was the Rams vs Brady. (rooting for the Rams)...
So, despite being a Niners fan and the Rams being a division rival, for some reason, I have an old soft spot for the Rams. If they aren't playing the Niners, I'm usually pulling for them, so I could relate to what you described. They have such a stacked, talented team, on paper they should win it all. But that is another team that, especially lately, has been making a ton of boneheaded errors. It's almost as if they all look around the locker room and think, "We're so stacked, we don't really have to play at 100%." They seemed to win a lot of games unconvincingly this season.

They better bring their best for the Niners, who were on borrowed time when they entered the playoffs and have nothing to lose.

MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 am
Just before they kicked off, all I was thinking was, "Short squib kick and it's over..." and then I see it sailing into the endzone and thought, "Overtime."

It was one of the worst mistakes I've ever seen in a game. It was so obvious what to do there, and they didn't.
Agreed. It would have taken 5 seconds off the clock. No time for a completion and a field goal in 7 seconds.

Funny, but it's virtually unanimous among the pundits that was the best playoff weekend in history. Another way to put it in perspective: 3 games won on the last play of regulation, coupled with an overtime game had never happened in an entire post season, let alone a single weekend.

Great games (like Buffalo-KC) stay in my head for a while.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:48 am
dantana wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:57 am

I think Eli just has resting sad face.

The commercial with Eli and Payton talking about the helmet catch cracks me up every time. Payton Manning has serious comedic chops.
Yeah, Eli was a bad choice for my whiney guy example. While his resting frown face can get animated when things don't go his way, it isn't directed at anyone but himself. As opposed to say, Cam N. with his eyerolls and antics when a receiver drops a pass. I just noticed 2 last weekends ago Kyler Murray carrying on a bit with the dramatics. I have also seen Matt Stafford show up his guys a few times. But, never Russ W. or Jimmy G.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 am
Funny, but it's virtually unanimous among the pundits that was the best playoff weekend in history. Another way to put it in perspective: 3 games won on the last play of regulation, coupled with an overtime game had never happened in an entire post season, let alone a single weekend.

Great games (like Buffalo-KC) stay in my head for a while.
After the Niner's game, I was walking around the house in a sort of daze, trying to wrap my head around what I'd just seen. That feeling carried over for the whole weekend.

I don't know about anyone else, but in the several decades I've been watching NFL, I've never seen a weekend of games like that, playoffs or otherwise. If you're a football fan, you've got to love the parity in the league right now.