NFL Playoffs

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

NFL Playoffs

Post by Some Schmo »

I'm not sure how many people here are watching the playoffs, but I just have to say that yesterday's Niners win over the Packers feels like karmic justice. It could have been any team to knock the Pack out early, but it's extra special for me as a Niners fan.

Rogers is pure QB talent, but he seems to have a Payton Manning-like block when it comes to the playoffs, or at least, whenever he lines up against the Niners in the playoffs. Sweet.

After finding out this year that Rogers is an anti-vaxxer and clearly listens to too much right-wing nonsense, and even worse, that he put all the people around him at risk of COVID, seeing his disappointed face after the loss was the greatest gift ever. I've never enjoyed a playoff win this much.

Oh, and by the way, the playoffs so far this year have been generally great. Niners are hot at the right time. Even if they don't win it all, they've done far more than I'd have asked of them coming into these playoffs.

And congrats to the Bengals! I'm enjoying their success too.

Today's game between the Bills and the Chiefs should be epic. Go Bills! To be honest, the Bills look like the scariest team so far. We'll see if it continues tonight.

As for the Rams and Bucs, I don't really care that much. Niners beat the Rams twice this year, but it's hard to beat a team thrice in one season. Really though, I don't think it matters much. I believe the Niners have a fairly equal chance against either team in the conference championship.

If you'd like to make predictions here, go for it. I'm avoiding predictions this year, because in the 35+ years or so that I've been watching the NFL, I honestly can't remember a year with this level of parity. Literally anyone still in the contest could win this year.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post by Dr Exiled »

Go Niners! They are my second favorite team after the Raiders. Although Garoppolo isn't the QB to take them much further. Also, the guy on the Packers, No. 46, should be cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHk-stBnoIo

It looks like he wasn't even trying on that play. He stood straight up losing all his leverage. And what the hell was No. 41 doing? His job is supposed to block first, anyone coming up the middle. Maybe he should lose his job as well? No wonder the Packers special teams were so terrible all year long. Makes one wonder why the Packers' coach didn't shuffle the line-up around, perhaps inserting some starters who know how to block? Earlier, I think it was Aikman who said the Packers coach confided that he hoped his special teams wouldn't be a problem in the game. I wouldn't be happy if I were the Packers owners. Coaches are supposed to fix these problems. Anyway, luck shined on the 49ers last night.

I see the Rams winning and maybe Buffalo too.

Here is my prediction: Rams v. Buffalo in the superbowl and Rams winning it.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:48 pm
That wouldn't hurt my feelings. In fact, I wouldn't mind anyone still in the playoffs winning except Tampa Bay.

If it's not the Niners, I'm pulling for the Bills, then the Bengals. I always like seeing a franchise get their first championship or end a long drought.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:48 pm
That wouldn't hurt my feelings. In fact, I wouldn't mind anyone still in the playoffs winning except Tampa Bay.

If it's not the Niners, I'm pulling for the Bills, then the Bengals. I always like seeing a franchise get their first championship or end a long drought.
The Niners game was absolutely bananas. I’m watching the Rams/Bucs game right now, and I can’t figure out the latter’s game plan because it’s just flat. Let Brady throw it, man. Also, Suh picking up that taunting penalty is rage inducing.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Good Lord this game is amazing.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 am
Good Lord this game is amazing.

- Doc
Ikr? Good grief I'm getting whiplash.
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Josh Allen played virtually a perfect game and still lost. Only piece of strategy maybe his team could have executed better was to not kick into the end zone and give Mahomes the last 15 sec of regulation to get into field goal position from the 25. Mahomes is just too good and he plays smart. Kind of like a less sluggish Brady. :D speaking of non-sluggishness, what about Mahomes' 49 rushing yards and TD on very first possession? But someone told me that Josh Allen still has almost twice Mahomes' record in rushing yards this year. 880 I think, to 440. Unbelievable.
Tweet @StatsBySTATS

Tonight Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes both:

-passed for 300+ yards
-passed for 3+ TD
-completed 70% of their passes
-had 0 INT
-rushed for 65+ yards
-led their team in rushing

No other QB in NFL history has accomplished all of those feats in a game (regular season or postseason)

https://Twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status ... gr%5Etweet
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Marcus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 am
Josh Allen played virtually a perfect game and still lost. Only piece of strategy maybe his team could have executed better was to not kick into the end zone and give Mahomes the last 15 sec of regulation to get into field goal position from the 25. Mahomes is just too good and he plays smart. Kind of like a less sluggish Brady. :D speaking of non-sluggishness, what about Mahomes' 49 rushing yards and TD on very first possession? But someone told me that Josh Allen still has almost twice Mahomes' record in rushing yards this year. 880 I think, to 440. Unbelievable.
Tweet @StatsBySTATS

Tonight Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes both:

-passed for 300+ yards
-passed for 3+ TD
-completed 70% of their passes
-had 0 INT
-rushed for 65+ yards
-led their team in rushing

No other QB in NFL history has accomplished all of those feats in a game (regular season or postseason)

https://Twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status ... gr%5Etweet
I got a sick feeling in my stomach when Buffalo didn’t squib kick the ball. I told my wife maybe they’d rush three, drop three into the middle and keep four on coverage. The defense play calling at the end wasn’t well thought out. Oh, well. Fun weekend.

- Doc
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I don't ever remember a division round this good. Not even close. All four games were unbelievable.

I'm a little heartbroken for the Bills. They literally lost it on a coin toss (well... and the culmination of all the plays leading up to the coin toss, but you know what I mean).

MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:09 am
I don't ever remember a division round this good. Not even close. All four games were unbelievable.

I'm a little heartbroken for the Bills. They literally lost it on a coin toss (well... and the culmination of all the plays leading up to the coin toss, but you know what I mean).
I've always thought of the Divisional round weekend as the High Holy Days of the NFL. This weekend was THE BEST divisional weekend I have ever seen, hands down.
  • Three games won by the visiting team kicking a field goal with 4 seconds left. In three straight games.Unfrinckin' believable.
  • The shootout between Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen was one of the greatest quarterback duels I've ever seen. Schmo, I wanted Buffalo also. You figure with 13 seconds left they had a lock....but not this weekend.

I'm a 49'er fan, but this team is weird. Remember when the Ravens won the Superbowl with Trent Dilfer at Quarterback? The 49'ers remind me of a little of that team. Killer defense, good running game, hope the QB hangs in there. I think Garoppolo is better than Dilfer. This team is erratic but it has heart. Deebo Samuel has been incredible.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land