Clinton campaign spied on Pres. Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Clinton campaign spied on Pres. Trump

Post by ajax18 »

You’re the bogeyman Heartlander that Mike Parker would use to justify his mistreatment of Neville.

You’re that guy.
I'm not up on the drama going on there. One of my hangups with the literal interpretation of the Bible is evolution. Maybe it was because of my medical training but to me evolution explains a lot of things. Now I'm more in the who knows camp, and all things are possible to God, even a young earth. I still don't believe the Bible was meant to be scrutinized as a scientific account on how the creation happened, but rather a moral account of why God created the earth.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

So, according to the Bible, why did God create the earth?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:21 pm
So, according to the Bible, why did God create the earth?
That's a good point. I'm not sure that's even in the Bible. I believe it's in the Pearl of Great Price, which like you I learned alongside the Bible in my LDS seminary classes. I guess I was trying to say that the Bible is more concerned with moral questions rather than physical science questions, and I kind of made a mess of it. Does that make sense?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:42 pm
Yeah, but it doesn't say why.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:18 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:42 pm
Yeah, but it doesn't say why.
Doesn't it say further down in Chapter 1 that He creates man and woman to dominate the other creations? Isn't that the "why?"
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:09 am
Doesn't it say further down in Chapter 1 that He creates man and woman to dominate the other creations? Isn't that the "why?"
It appears that God eventually got bored of watching dinosaurs dominate the other creatures for 150 million years, and figured to mix things up in favor of the comparatively softer, squishier mammals by smacking the planet with that oversized rock.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr Exiled wrote:
No. That still doesn't explain why He created the heavens and the earth.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
No. That still doesn't explain why He created the heavens and the earth.
Agreed. Further reading just lists additional edicts.

We are not to know the mind of the Bible god, apparently. It's amazing how many of Bible god's attributes are convenient to it staying hidden from anyone not ballsy/outrageous enough to claim to have seen Bible god.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.