Rabbits (Review)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Rabbits (Review)

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:27 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Ah! I'd heard someone reference Monty Cook as kick-starting a game by this name that sounded really interesting but was in early stages at the time. Just checked this out and see they are intertwined. This is delicious to the taste and very desirable. Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome. I’m going to buy the PDF and see if it lies me into DMing. If it doesn’t, I backed the newest edition of Paranoia, which I’ve been wanting to play for quite a while.
Love Paranoia. I'd say it's probably my favorite one shot game, hands down. But I haven't seen the newest edition. I'll have to check it out.

Finished season one of Old Gods. Damn. I love the production, the story, the vibe. Everything about it hits all the right buttons for me. Again, many many thanks for the suggestion.

It's been a while since we talked about True Detective, Season 1. Very similar feel. If you still haven't gotten around to it I'd suggest it even more strongly knowing you like Old Gods of Appalachia.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:31 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
You’re welcome. I’m going to buy the PDF and see if it lies me into DMing. If it doesn’t, I backed the newest edition of Paranoia, which I’ve been wanting to play for quite a while.
Love Paranoia. I'd say it's probably my favorite one shot game, hands down. But I haven't seen the newest edition. I'll have to check it out.

Finished season one of Old Gods. Damn. I love the production, the story, the vibe. Everything about it hits all the right buttons for me. Again, many many thanks for the suggestion.

It's been a while since we talked about True Detective, Season 1. Very similar feel. If you still haven't gotten around to it I'd suggest it even more strongly knowing you like Old Gods of Appalachia.
I'm just about done with Magnus and am halfway through Season 2 of Old Gods. I'll start True Detective after that. I'm glad you're enjoying Old Gods.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Honor, I joined the Old Gods Patreon to get the additional stories. Build Momma a Coffin, Black Mouthed Dog, and some of the shorter stories were well worth the membership. I’ve just started Season 3 and have one more episode of Black Mouthed Dog to go.

Oh Polly, pretty Polly!
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pm
Honor, I joined the Old Gods Patreon to get the additional stories. Build Momma a Coffin, Black Mouthed Dog, and some of the shorter stories were well worth the membership. I’ve just started Season 3 and have one more episode of Black Mouthed Dog to go.

Oh Polly, pretty Polly!
I've been pondering doing the same so you may have sold me. I am just finishing season 2 plus the shorts and it hasn't dipped for me even as it builds on the lore from the earlier podcasts. Thanks again for the recommendation!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Current Podcasts I've been enjoying:

Dirt. The founder of a successful tech startup gets a letter from his grandfather, who has been dead 20 years. Grandpa leads him on a treasure hunt though locations across Washington State. Including Pe Ell and Wapato.

The Book of Constellations. An old man crippled with pain from his cancer decides to end his pain with a double barreled shotgun. But both barrels fail to fire. He looks up to see Rael, who claims to be a being from another planet who is here to save the earth from the darkness -- an insidious force that destroyed his planet. A science fictiony morality play.

First Episode Of: A non-fiction podcast about fiction podcasts. The author and narrator of The Book of Constellations listens to the first episode of a podcast and then interviews the author.

Strange Air: Film student making a documentary about a radio show host that vanished while on the air. Oh, and he's the film student's father.

Two Flat Earthers Kidnap a Freemason: A conspiracy theorist with a struggling youtube show decides that he really, really needs to know the secrets of Freemasonry. A send up of all things conspiracist.

Bridgewater: A place of mysterious disappearances and reappearances. A hiker finds the police badge of an officer who went missing 30 years ago while investigating a cult. The badge looks as good as new.

Stories to Keep You Up at Night: An anthology by Realm (podcasting company) of short stories. One of the narrators sounded really familiar. Turns out it was a good friend who narrates audiobooks for a living. She's branched out into the podcast world.

Mayfair Watchers Society: Mayfair is a small town where odd things happen. The Neighborhood Watch keeps tabs on oddities and tries to keep them from getting out of hand.

The SCP Archives. SCP was a collection of stories published on the internet. My kids read them regularly some years ago. The acronym stands for Secure, Control, Protect. It's a Foundation devoted to the handling of "anomalies." Like Warehouse 13, only darker. Much darker.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Commuting means more podcast time!

Breathing Space: a SCI-FI Western

Just like the title says. Ride your ship to the Belt and wrangle a string of asteroids. But watch out for rustlers... Much like the universes of The Expanse and Firefly. No FTL. No Time Travel. No magic weapons. Great characters and storytelling, though. And one of the best podcast theme songs ever.
Ain't got no place to go to.
Ain't got nothin' to sell.
But my stars will never leave me even when I'm dragged to hell.

I was born under a blue sky
And I'll die out in the black.
When I'm dead don't no one morn me
Cuz my debts will drag me back.
And the director is a guy named Scott Paladin, who also acts in the series. With a name like that, what's not to like?

Solar

A joint private-public mission to the Sun. Disaster strikes in the form of a Coronal Mass Ejection which, among other more serious things, knocks the ship's A.I.'s chronometer out of whack. So the episodes come out of order. Lots of skullduggery and intrigue. Heavily produced. Helen Hunt plays a major role.

The Mistholme Museum of Mystery, Morbidity and Mortality

You are a visitor in a strange museum equipped with an audio guide that explains the exhibits and tells stories about them. It starts as an anthology, but soon you'll start to wonder: where are the other guests? Where are the employees? What's with this glitchy audio guide? And who the hell am I anyway? First season is done in second person, with the next two seasons told in third person.

The Patron Saint of Suicides

Haven is a survivor of a brutal massacre on a BART train during which the shooters wore Lucha Libre masks. After five years, she still meets regularly with a group for PTSD therapy and support. She also frequents the Golden Gate Bridge at night, talking people out of jumping. And she's talked a lot of people out of jumping.

When police investigate a suicide by train and find a discarded Lucha Libre mask in the bushes, they begin to look for connections between the massacre and the suicide.

No horror. No sci-fi. Just a straight up who done it thriller. Noir adjacent.

Leaving Corvat

Terminally bored fast-food hamburger flipper steals his boss's car to escape stultifying small desert town. Turns out his boss can turn into a giant crow to chase him down on the fly. And it gets weirder. I'm only 4 episodes in, and it keeps getting weirder and weirder. I'm hooked.
he/him

Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

I'm glad I found this thread. I started doing hospice admissions a little over a year ago. Most of my time is taken up by charting, which I do at home. I started listening to podcasts not long after I started the job. Welcome to Night Vale was my first one, so I'm glad to see it on the list. I'm almost at the end of it, so I'm grateful to see other similar suggestions.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Ta-Daaa! Honor, I have watched seasons 1, 2 and 4 of True Detective, and have one more episode to finish season 3. I loved season one -- you were absolutely right that the show is right up my alley. My only nitpick was that it was strange that no one ever thought of pursuing the literary origins of Carcosa and The King in Yellow as literary leads. But that's a pretty small nitpick.

Season 2 didn't grab me the way the others did. I thought the plot was overly complex and got in the way of the characters sucking me in the way they did in the other three seasons.

I love the story line and the pairing of the two detectives own Season 3. The transitions among the different time periods are very well done, in my opinion. Nice plot twists, too.

Season 4 was just fun. Jodi Foster did an amazing job with the police chief. The way the supernatural elements finally spun out was handled really well. At the end, I was a little out of breath.

So, thanks for the recommendation. I was slow in getting to it, but the payoff was great.
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:36 pm
honorentheos wrote:

Ta-Daaa! Honor, I have watched seasons 1, 2 and 4 of True Detective, and have one more episode to finish season 3. I loved season one -- you were absolutely right that the show is right up my alley. My only nitpick was that it was strange that no one ever thought of pursuing the literary origins of Carcosa and The King in Yellow as literary leads. But that's a pretty small nitpick.

Season 2 didn't grab me the way the others did. I thought the plot was overly complex and got in the way of the characters sucking me in the way they did in the other three seasons.

I love the story line and the pairing of the two detectives own Season 3. The transitions among the different time periods are very well done, in my opinion. Nice plot twists, too.

Season 4 was just fun. Jodi Foster did an amazing job with the police chief. The way the supernatural elements finally spun out was handled really well. At the end, I was a little out of breath.

So, thanks for the recommendation. I was slow in getting to it, but the payoff was great.
Hey Res,

Glad you enjoyed it. :) The 1st season remains my favorite single season of television, or at least is my answer when asked. Like you, I was disappointed in the 2nd season, liked the 3rd, and find the 4th fun if a different vibe. In fact, my wife and talked quite a bit about season 4. Mainly over how it may be the first media I recall that I felt invested in while also being acutely aware it was from a different perspective that left me wondering if was how "good" media made from a distinctive male gaze might leave a woman feeling about it. Hard to say but that's the best way I can describe my take on it. Glad to see the same director is going to be leading the writing and directing of season 5.