Rabbits (Review)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God

Re: Rabbits (Review)

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:34 pm
Morley,

My apologies for taking so long to respond. Here are the production companies and story telling podcasts that I really enjoy:

Minnow Beats Whale is the website for the Terry Miles podcasts I discussed above.

Fool and Scholar Productions produces several that I really enjoy. My favorite is The White Vault -- It's an adventure/horror story told in the style of found footage by a narrator that has compiled written and audio records of an expedition to a remote outpost in the arctic. The horror is Lovecraftian in style. Vast Horizon is a science fiction drama that begins with a scientist awakening from cryosleep on a colony ship where things have gone very wrong. Liberty is a collection of stories set in a colony called Atrius on a planet cut off from earth. Atrius is a civilized, authoritarian city with lots of plots and conflicts going on beneath the surface. It is surrounded by a lawless, kind of wild west area called the Fringe, which is the enemy of the colony.

The Penumbra produces two story podcasts. Juno Steel is a cynical, private detective who investigates crimes in the sleazier areas of Mars. It's starts as noir and becomes weird and wonderful. His assistant Rita is one of my favorite characters. The Second Citadel is a series of fantasy stories based on the same set of characters. Both include several non-binary characters.

Radiotopia is my all-time favorite podcast network. It has several story podcasts. The Truth is an anthology podcast with no real theme. Just interesting stories. Passenger List is a mystery/thriller. A plane explodes over the ocean, killing all aboard. Who dunnit? Why dunnit? Lots of suspects and motives. The Polybius Conspiracy is an investigation into a mysterious video game that appeared for a short time in and around Portland, Oregon. It is rumored to have had odd effects in the players.

Night Vale Presents has produced several story podcasts that I really like. Their flagship is Welcome to Nightvale, a public radio show set in a small desert town where the ordinary is bizarre. The Orbiting Human Circus is a wonderful story about a radio variety show broadcast from the top of the Eiffel Tower, and the lowly janitor who wants to be part of the show. Alice Isn't Dead is a story told by a woman who takes up long haul trucking to search for her wife that she had believed was dead. Jasika Nicole does a wonderful job telling a story of mysteries, monsters, and conspiracies. Dreamboy is about a young gay man who works at an odd zoo/amusement park. Great storytelling.

Other scattered recommendations:

The Palimpsest Stories about people haunted by someone or something.
The Dark Tome A unique book that functions as a doorway to other worlds
Homecoming A thriller about a special program for traumatized veterans. Adapted for TV by Amazon.
Janus Descending Science fiction told by a young couple. She tells it from first to last, while he tells it from last to first. Interesting concept.
Limetown A small town in Tennessee vanishes after an episode of chaos and madness
Memory Lane A mother and daughter take a road trip after some of the mothers memories are implanted into the daughter. An intended bonding experience becomes a psychological thriller.
Midnight BurgerThe diner opens every night at 6. But not at the same place or time. Or in the same universe.
Point Mystic An odd town you've probably never heard of. A nice blend of magical realism and investigative journalism.
The Horror of Delores Roach Probably the most horrific of the horror podcasts I've listened to. Not recommended for weak stomachs.

I hope there's something in there to your liking.
Thank you, Res! I'm saving this for future reference!

I'm going to enjoy this.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:53 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Morley,

My apologies for taking so long to respond. Here are the production companies and story telling podcasts that I really enjoy:

Minnow Beats Whale is the website for the Terry Miles podcasts I discussed above.

Fool and Scholar Productions produces several that I really enjoy. My favorite is The White Vault -- It's an adventure/horror story told in the style of found footage by a narrator that has compiled written and audio records of an expedition to a remote outpost in the arctic. The horror is Lovecraftian in style. Vast Horizon is a science fiction drama that begins with a scientist awakening from cryosleep on a colony ship where things have gone very wrong. Liberty is a collection of stories set in a colony called Atrius on a planet cut off from earth. Atrius is a civilized, authoritarian city with lots of plots and conflicts going on beneath the surface. It is surrounded by a lawless, kind of wild west area called the Fringe, which is the enemy of the colony.

The Penumbra produces two story podcasts. Juno Steel is a cynical, private detective who investigates crimes in the sleazier areas of Mars. It's starts as noir and becomes weird and wonderful. His assistant Rita is one of my favorite characters. The Second Citadel is a series of fantasy stories based on the same set of characters. Both include several non-binary characters.

Radiotopia is my all-time favorite podcast network. It has several story podcasts. The Truth is an anthology podcast with no real theme. Just interesting stories. Passenger List is a mystery/thriller. A plane explodes over the ocean, killing all aboard. Who dunnit? Why dunnit? Lots of suspects and motives. The Polybius Conspiracy is an investigation into a mysterious video game that appeared for a short time in and around Portland, Oregon. It is rumored to have had odd effects in the players.

Night Vale Presents has produced several story podcasts that I really like. Their flagship is Welcome to Nightvale, a public radio show set in a small desert town where the ordinary is bizarre. The Orbiting Human Circus is a wonderful story about a radio variety show broadcast from the top of the Eiffel Tower, and the lowly janitor who wants to be part of the show. Alice Isn't Dead is a story told by a woman who takes up long haul trucking to search for her wife that she had believed was dead. Jasika Nicole does a wonderful job telling a story of mysteries, monsters, and conspiracies. Dreamboy is about a young gay man who works at an odd zoo/amusement park. Great storytelling.

Other scattered recommendations:

The Palimpsest Stories about people haunted by someone or something.
The Dark Tome A unique book that functions as a doorway to other worlds
Homecoming A thriller about a special program for traumatized veterans. Adapted for TV by Amazon.
Janus Descending Science fiction told by a young couple. She tells it from first to last, while he tells it from last to first. Interesting concept.
Limetown A small town in Tennessee vanishes after an episode of chaos and madness
Memory Lane A mother and daughter take a road trip after some of the mothers memories are implanted into the daughter. An intended bonding experience becomes a psychological thriller.
Midnight BurgerThe diner opens every night at 6. But not at the same place or time. Or in the same universe.
Point Mystic An odd town you've probably never heard of. A nice blend of magical realism and investigative journalism.
The Horror of Delores Roach Probably the most horrific of the horror podcasts I've listened to. Not recommended for weak stomachs.

Thank you, Res! I'm saving this for future reference!

I'm going to enjoy this.
just got reminded of this, thanks for the references.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Morley,

<snip>

Sampling your list was a fun and interesting gaze into one of the back rooms of your mind. It's probably just me, but everywhere I looked, I saw René Magritte. Thank you for sharing these, Res.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. I only knew Magritte from the pipe, so it was fun reading up on him and looking at some of his work. I think your image fits. I liked it enough to change my siggy.

The Geocaching folks started a new thing called Adventure Labs. They are more like walking tours than treasure hunting. A friend and I did one Sunday on a local University Campus. Being trained to always read the plaque, we found this art installation: https://www.arts.Washington.gov/artwork/?reques ... 4;type=101

If you click to the image of the plaque, you'll see what we found (site number 1). One of my kids graduated from this school and the other is attending. Both knew the little plaza was named the Codex, but neither knew why. Being us, my friend and I decided to find the other portions of the installation. The problem is that, since the installation, two new buildings have been built in the area of sites marked 2 and 3. We managed to find the small bronze sculpture at site 2 north (on the right side of the plaque). But try as we might, we couldn't find the other three.

We finally gave up, and I plan to e-mail the school and/or the artist to find out what happened to the other three sculptures. I thought the events dovetails nicely with my new siggy.

So, thanks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My podcast listening has taken a turn into horror over the last few months. I most enjoy Lovecraftian Horror -- the kind that involves Gods or Godlike creatures that care nothing for humanity except as a tool to perform some task of interest only to themselves. Three podcasts that I've enjoyed lately are:

Unwell: A Midwestern Gothic Mystery
Lillian Harper moves to the small town of Mt. Absalom, Ohio, to care for her estranged mother Dorothy after an injury. Living in the town's boarding house which has been run by her family for generations, she discovers conspiracies, ghosts, and a new family in the house's strange assortment of residents.
This one is less Lovecraftian than the other two, and also is less horrific. It starts as the story of how Lillian handles her mother's quirkiness and works through her resentment. But Lillian discovers that the town she lived in as a child isn't ordinary. At all. Interesting story and fascinating characters.

Old Gods of Appalachia
Welcome, family...

Old Gods of Appalachia is an eldritch horror fiction podcast set in an Alternate Appalachia, a world where these mountains were never meant to be inhabited. This world feels eerily similar to the hills and hollers we’ve grown up with, but there are some tell-tale differences. Names of towns and counties may be altered. Historical events slide forward or backward in time. And then, of course, there are the monsters...
I think this is my favorite of the three. The setting is perfect for the storytelling, with the small towns, backwoods hollers, and ravenous coal mines. The combination of the writing and the storyteller's voice brings to mind the image of telling stories deep in the woods around a campfire. Humans are clearly in a place they were never intended to be, and are used by the gods in horrific ways for reasons of their own. It's best to treat the witches kindly -- you will certainly need their help from time to time.

The Magnus Archives
The Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast examining what lurks in the archives of the Magnus Institute, an organisation dedicated to researching the esoteric and the weird. Join new head archivist Jonathan Sims as he attempts to bring a seemingly neglected collection of supernatural statements up to date, converting them to audio and supplementing them with follow-up work from his small but dedicated team.

Individually, they are unsettling. Together they begin to form a picture that is truly horrifying because as they look into the depths of the archives, something starts to look back…
This is most well known of the three. My kids have been nagging me to listen for a few years, and I finally got around to it. It is certainly the most Lovecraftian and horrific of the three. If you have triggers, they'll be triggered. If you are squeamish about something, be prepared to be squeamish. Weak stomach? Be forewarned.

200 Episodes over five seasons. The writing, voice acting, and production quality are all excellent. And the original author and producer are kickstarting a multi-season sequel: The Magnus Archives 2.

If you've ever wanted to create one of those red string and post it cork board things, this would be the perfect show to do it for. (The hard core fans call themselves the Red String Brigade). I may listen again and do just that. Beyond that, there's not much to be said without entering into spoiler territory.

Enjoy!
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm
Old Gods of Appalachia
Welcome, family...

Old Gods of Appalachia is an eldritch horror fiction podcast set in an Alternate Appalachia, a world where these mountains were never meant to be inhabited. This world feels eerily similar to the hills and hollers we’ve grown up with, but there are some tell-tale differences. Names of towns and counties may be altered. Historical events slide forward or backward in time. And then, of course, there are the monsters...
I think this is my favorite of the three. The setting is perfect for the storytelling, with the small towns, backwoods hollers, and ravenous coal mines. The combination of the writing and the storyteller's voice brings to mind the image of telling stories deep in the woods around a campfire. Humans are clearly in a place they were never intended to be, and are used by the gods in horrific ways for reasons of their own. It's best to treat the witches kindly -- you will certainly need their help from time to time.
Ah! I'd heard someone reference Monty Cook as kick-starting a game by this name that sounded really interesting but was in early stages at the time. Just checked this out and see they are intertwined. This is delicious to the taste and very desirable. Thanks for sharing!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:34 am
I must be off to the Police Station, looking for a young girl holding a copy of that book by Nabokov.
Is that the one where Humbert Humbert begins an arduous trek that leads him to a basement storage area at Mar-a-Lago to face off against an even more ruthless deviant?
Last edited by Moksha on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:59 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
I must be off to the Police Station, looking for a young girl holding a copy of that book by Nabokov.
Is that the one where Humbert Humbert begins are arduous trek that leads him to a basement storage area at Mar-a-Lago to face off against an even more ruthless deviant?
It was the scored sequel to the David Lynch Dune movie, oddly recast as a schoolroom drama.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm
Old Gods of Appalachia

Ah! I'd heard someone reference Monty Cook as kick-starting a game by this name that sounded really interesting but was in early stages at the time. Just checked this out and see they are intertwined. This is delicious to the taste and very desirable. Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome. I’m going to buy the PDF and see if it lies me into DMing. If it doesn’t, I backed the newest edition of Paranoia, which I’ve been wanting to play for quite a while.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:59 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Is that the one where Humbert Humbert begins are arduous trek that leads him to a basement storage area at Mar-a-Lago to face off against an even more ruthless deviant?
My lips are sealed.
he/him