Russian Invasion of Ukraine

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Jersey Girl »

This is so freaking funny I can't stand it. :lol:

Less than a minute run time.

Керченский мост #shorts #russia
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JjgR6GMDtsc
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:12 pm
This is so freaking funny I can't stand it. :lol:

Less than a minute run time.

Керченский мост #shorts #russia
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JjgR6GMDtsc
I laughed, too. Thanks.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Credit to jenny hatchet:
A Russian was driving in Moscow by the Kremlin when he got stuck in a huge traffic jam. He rolled down his window and asked a police officer what was happening.

The officer said "Putin is standing in the middle of Red Square, threatening to douse himself in gasoline and light himself on fire unless he gets donations for his war in Ukraine".

The driver asked, "how much have people donated"?

The police officer replied "about five gallons".
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What Russians think of Russians - The Romanian writer, Orlando Balaș, made a list of important Russian writers who expressed their opinions about their own people:

Mikhail Saltikov-Shchedrin - "If I fell asleep, waking up after a hundred years, and someone asked me what was happening in Russia, I would answer without blinking: drunkenness and robberies"

Aleksei Tolstoy - "Moscow - Russo-Mongolian taiga, wild, expanse of robbery"

F. M. Dostoevsky - "A nation that roams Europe and looks for something to destroy, to make dust, simply, everything out of mockery"

Mikhail Bulgakov - "We are not a people, but cattle, rats, a wild horde of scoundrels and murderers"

Maxim Gorky - "The most important sign of victory of the Russian people is its sadistic cruelty"

Serghei Aksakov - "Ah, how hard it is to live in Russia, in this center full of the stench of physical and moral depravity, a place of malice, lies and villainy"

Ivan S. Turgeniev - "The Russian is the biggest and most impudent liar in the whole world"

Ivan C. Shmeliov (Orthodox thinker) - "A people who hate freedom, adore slavery, love chains on their hands and feet, dirty physically and morally... ready at any moment to dirty everything and everywhere"

Aleksand Pushkin - "A nation indifferent to its smallest duty, to the smallest justice, to the most insignificant truth, a people that does not recognize the dignity of man, does not recognize, in general, neither human freedom nor free thought..."

Vasili Rozanov - "We are not a nation, but a crazy hell".

Alexandr Blok - "The tormented Russian soul has no strength to breathe and cannot fly."

Zinaida Ghippius (anti-Bolshevik poet) - "Russia, a huge psychiatric hospital"

Vladimir Sorokin - "In Russia, no one is surprised when an official takes a bribe, while the state is seen as a sacred entity to which citizens must worship. This seems absurd, but for Russians it is completely normal."

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Russian explains their motivations for this war:

https://Twitter.com/CommyB123/status/15 ... 0719977472

Hrm …

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:33 pm

Hrm …

- Doc
What the hell?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

It is ultimately a tragedy for the Russian Nation that the invasion took place. Putin has lost the future of Russia. A huge percentage of the population needed to propagate, populate and produce is leaving the country. Airlines are booked for months, people are paying $25,000 per seat for a chartered flight out. Russia is becoming dramatically older and poorer.

Why is this happening? Well, one aspect, to quote Stephen Colbert, "is potato". Or more accurately, the Vodka you can make from it. If religion is the opium of the people, it produces a dream. Vodka produces despair. Czars controlled the production and produced considerable revenue. Despite efforts from Khrushchev to Gorbachev, it is a deeply entrenched problem. I think it contributes greatly to the fatalism and pessimism that has permeated Russian society for generations.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
- Edwin Land
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Hrm …

- Doc
Ah. So the only reason for launching a war on Ukraine is to save the only "white" civilisation left in the whole world. Which is Russia.

Everywhere else, former white countries are full of <insulting word for Chinese people>, Arabs*, and <insulting word for black people>, and the white people suck the <word for a male organ> of <insulting word for black people>.

Reassuring to know that this war is being fought by some really stupid people; maybe that will give the Ukrainians a slightly easier job?

*A bit sad to know that Arab people don't get their own word. A lack of imagination there, I fear.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Hrm …

- Doc
To me, this video looks like it may have been staged. A Russian soldier just happens to capture the fascist Raison d'être for the war, stated succinctly enough to be Tweet-able AND sent it out to the world? This smacks of manufactured propaganda.
- Will Durant
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

A Jedi Master enters stage right...

Ukraine asks 'Star Wars' legend for help in fight against Putin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDEqM3-hQuQ

Link for U24: https://u24.gov.United Airlines/

Slava Ukraini!