Russian Invasion of Ukraine

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ajax18 »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:45 am
Could potentially lead to WWIII.

Seems like a pretty big deal. I'm surprised no one else here is already talking about it.
Perhaps nobody is talking about it because you'd have to admit what a failure Democrat foreign policy has been.

And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:10 pm
Perhaps nobody is talking about it because you'd have to admit what a failure Democrat foreign policy has been.
Um,we are already on the fourth page of this very recently launched thread ... are all the posters Republicans, do you think?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

The biggest crisis is global warming. We can't let little things like the fact that Russia controls the natural gas pipelines interfere with the urgent need to move to natural gas and away from oil. It's a good thing Biden was elected and able to shut down that Keystone Pipeline and make sure we were dependent on foreign oil. Otherwise we'd be under water right now due to climate change. Now we've got a real chance to spread communism around the world again!!! Bernie and Ocasio Cortez must be ecstatic.

And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:22 am
To me, there are two options. Option 1) is the water issue and/or securing a little more territory. Under this option, he's creating a huge spectacle to push the West to see what they are really prepared to do, what can he get away with? This will inform future operations as he keeps pressure on low and slow. Option 2) he's really lost it. He's He's gained so much power and wealth, there is nothing left but go all in and put his name up there in history with Lenin, and at his age, time is running out to MRGA.
One doesn't exclude the other, but I kind of go with number two. Xi Jinping is watching and learning.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:27 pm
The biggest crisis is global warming. We can't let little things like the fact that Russia controls the natural gas pipelines interfere with the urgent need to move to natural gas and away from oil. It's a good thing Biden was elected and able to shut down that Keystone Pipeline and make sure we were dependent on foreign oil. Otherwise we'd be under water right now due to climate change. Now we've got a real chance to spread communism around the world again!!! Bernie and Ocasio Cortez must be ecstatic.

Are you implying that we weren’t really ‘energy independent’, as Trump claimed, when that leg of the pipeline was canceled long before proposed completion?
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Let’s all have a silent moment for Taiwan.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

we've never been "energy independent." We've always been importing oil from elsewhere. There was a brief time in 2019 when America consumed less oil than it produced but that didn't mean we stopped importing oil. Ajax and Republicans in general are astonishingly ignorant on this issue.

Ajax is responding exactly how I described those faux patriots who can't get their story straight. If Putin is taking over Ukraine because he thinks Biden is "weak" then what, pray tell, would Trump have done differently to stop him? They won't answer that question for the same reason they wont explain what they'd do differently to fight inflation. According to Trump, he'd do absolutely nothing. So why claim Putin is picking on Biden when this us Putin attacking Ukraine not the USA? Trump thinks Georgia, Crimea and Ukraine are all part of Russia simply because the people there speak Russian. He said that. This is the same incompetent prick who thought Colorado was on the southern border, he manipulated an offucial weather map and then he couldn't properly pronounce the country of Thailand in three trues. Trump isn't someone you want to consult on matters of geography.

If the GOP really cared about energy independence they'd support Progressive initiatives to push wind and solar. That's free energy. Just three square miles of solar panels in the Mojave desert would produce enough electricity to power the entire country for free. But Republicans are beholden to fossil fuel interests.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:20 pm
Just three square miles of solar panels in the Mojave desert would produce enough electricity to power the entire country for free.
Oh, cute. Super. We don't know what Trump would have done because it didn't happen when Trump was there. I think that is what you said. But anyways. I came for the live show.

Three square miles of solar panels in the desert would produce enough electricity to power the entire country?

So, if Gavin can shut down the entire state and cancel voting for real forever, why hasn't he done that? What keeps it from happening?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:45 am
Could potentially lead to WWIII.

Seems like a pretty big deal. I'm surprised no one else here is already talking about it.
Eh. What are we gonna do about it? It’s not like we have pointed out the Foundations thing a million times. This goes to show you, though, if our country is going to waste trillions on stupid damned adventures in questionable wars, throw trillions away in nonsensical handouts, and have an egregious tax structure where we can’t build our treasury, but instead run up our credit cards because iNfLaTiOn iS aGoOd tHiNg, when the time comes where we should actually get involved in a truly meaningful geopolitical cause we don’t have the social, political, and economic will to do so, bad actors will do what they do. I wouldn’t doubt the Chinese are mulling their options with regard to Taiwan right now.

Anyway. As the White Supremacists are fond of saying, “No more brother wars.” I don’t believe we should get sucked into this thing, but I can’t see how we’re not going to unless we just let the Russians have their cordon sanitaire.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Ajax is responding exactly how I described those faux patriots who can't get their story straight. If Putin is taking over Ukraine because he thinks Biden is "weak" then what, pray tell, would Trump have done differently to stop him?
Putin took land during the 3 of the 4 prior presidential administrations. That was GWB, BHO, and JRB. Who's missing in that list? DJT is who. Putin took over no land during Trump's four years.

What are you worried about? Putin is giving you the higher gas prices and global communism you seek?
If the GOP really cared about energy independence they'd support Progressive initiatives to push wind and solar. That's free energy.

Yeah, how is solar and wind energy working out for Western Europe right now? I guess you just have to feign being worried about it for political reasons.