Rapamycin

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Rapamycin

Post by doubtingthomas »

"We are delighted to announce that we are working with Dr. Brad Stanfield to launch human trials of rapamycin to see if it can slow down aging in a meaningful way.

The trial will include low-dose rapamycin combined with exercise to see if there is synergy between the two. When we are young, exercise alone is enough to trigger a cellular waste disposal system called autophagy. However, as we age, and our metabolisms become dysfunctional, we struggle to trigger autophagy.

This is where Dr. Stanfield believes that rapamycin can help. Evidence from multiple studies has suggested that rapamycin in low periodic doses may help get our metabolism back on track and restore the benefits of exercise when we are older"
https://www.lifespan.io/news/brad-stanf ... cin-trial/

Some of you might need it. Rapamycin looks promising.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Rapamycin

Post by MeDotOrg »

What were we talking about?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Interesting compound. The discovery/isolation of it is like something from a movie. Bacteria in soil samples on Easter Island (*cue music*).

TNFs (one of the families of proteins in our innards that it decreases) are responsible for a lot of different things in the body -- most of which help keep us safe from nasties. This stuff as a purely anti-aging compound might be like drinking an antidote to a poison, only the antidote is also a poison.

Looks like it's been proposed as a potential COVID drug from extreme cases, to help simmer down the body's inflammatory dominos in severe cases:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7536130/
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:21 pm
Interesting compound. The discovery/isolation of it is like something from a movie. Bacteria in soil samples on Easter Island (*cue music*).

TNFs (one of the families of proteins in our innards that it decreases) are responsible for a lot of different things in the body -- most of which help keep us safe from nasties. This stuff as a purely anti-aging compound might be like drinking an antidote to a poison, only the antidote is also a poison.

Looks like it's been proposed as a potential COVID drug from extreme cases, to help simmer down the body's inflammatory dominos in severe cases:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7536130/
Hey Doc Steuss. No need to disclose anything personal here. I think I should know the answer to my question but, I do not. Do you have access to original research information on these drugs, vaccines and therapeutics? Meaning, are you getting raw data and applying your expertise or training to make sense of it all? Most of us get our news from machines that filter the news and then we have to join clubs that filter the machines that filter the news that filtered the data to make our club fanatical and stuff like that. You seem to be on a different wavelength here.

And.... stepping aside for you to tell me ain't nunnuma business, but, asked anyways.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Binger wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm
Hey Doc Steuss. No need to disclose anything personal here. I think I should know the answer to my question but, I do not. Do you have access to original research information on these drugs, vaccines and therapeutics? Meaning, are you getting raw data and applying your expertise or training to make sense of it all? Most of us get our news from machines that filter the news and then we have to join clubs that filter the machines that filter the news that filtered the data to make our club fanatical and stuff like that. You seem to be on a different wavelength here.

And.... stepping aside for you to tell me ain't nunnuma business, but, asked anyways.
Hi Binger,
I am sincerely flattered. I'm pretty much just like everyone else -- only with some added quasi-unique tools when it comes to research on compounds and drugs and the human body that are left over from one of my previous walks of life.

I might start a separate thread a bit later to chat about that fun decade of my life a little, so as to not derail this one. Might be moderately interesting to some, given the Olympics.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:39 pm
Binger wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi Binger,
I am sincerely flattered. I'm pretty much just like everyone else -- only with some added quasi-unique tools when it comes to research on compounds and drugs and the human body that are left over from one of my previous walks of life.

I might start a separate thread a bit later to chat about that fun decade of my life a little, so as to not derail this one. Might be moderately interesting to some, given the Olympics.
I am interested. Do it.

Gosh, this triggered a flashback in me.

I got roped into a legal fundraiser for Floyd Landis. I did not donate, but I was at the event working with the organizers and saw the presentation. It was, to put it mildly, a train wreck of epic proportions. There was an auction as part of the event, and it flopped as bad as anything I have ever seen. Obviously, he failed in his quest. And, he should have failed based on the legal defense he was preparing in the two courts (Court Court and Public Opinion Court).

There is, however, a very interesting part of the Landis case that was the most obvious winner from the get-go. He prevailed in a qui tam case as the relator. Now THAT was something to behold for so, so, so many reasons. And that should, or could rather, be an interesting parallel conversation alongside any doping/endorsement in the Olympics if there is federal interest in an athlete or event.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am
What were we talking about?
:lol: good one.

Rapamycin may be a miracle drug.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Hello! Possible miracle drug here
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:34 pm
Hello! Possible miracle drug here
Ya but we might have to exercise. ;)
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:38 am
"We are delighted to announce that we are working with Dr. Brad Stanfield to launch human trials of rapamycin to see if it can slow down aging in a meaningful way.

The trial will include low-dose rapamycin combined with exercise to see if there is synergy between the two. When we are young, exercise alone is enough to trigger a cellular waste disposal system called autophagy. However, as we age, and our metabolisms become dysfunctional, we struggle to trigger autophagy.

This is where Dr. Stanfield believes that rapamycin can help. Evidence from multiple studies has suggested that rapamycin in low periodic doses may help get our metabolism back on track and restore the benefits of exercise when we are older"
https://www.lifespan.io/news/brad-stanf ... cin-trial/
OK. It's a drug trial.

It will take a good while before any results, and even then they are unlikely to be conclusive. Over-excitement is not advised. Meanwhile, keep taking exercise anyway. You really don't need a lot to keep (more) healthy, so long as you do it right.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.