January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

Post by Moksha »

hauslern wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:56 pm
The film proves Scalise was lying or deaf.
No, Scalise can hear. He was simply demonstrating how Trump has made almost all Republicans into full-fledged liars. Not because lying is necessary, but because lying is just something Republicans now do as second nature.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Hvae the LDS leadership come out in their position on Jan 6th?
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:23 am
Hvae the LDS leadership come out in their position on Jan 6th?
January 15, 2021 wrote:Principles of government that allow God’s children to maintain human dignity and freedom belong to all mankind. (see Doctrine and Covenants 98:5).

With great concern we observe the political and cultural divisions in the United States and around the world. We condemn violence and lawless behavior, including the recent violence in Washington, D.C. and any suggestion of further violence. While The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is neutral in matters of party politics, we remind our members—whatever their individual political views—to be united in our commitment to the Savior Jesus Christ and His teachings. As His followers, we should treat one another and all of God’s children with respect, dignity, and love. No political or other affiliation should supersede that covenant and sacred responsibility.

We urge all people to remember the precious and fragile nature of freedom and peace. As citizens of the United States look ahead to the inauguration of a new president, we urge our members to honor democratic institutions and processes, and to obey, honor, and sustain the law (see Articles of Faith 1:12).
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -of-unrest
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I think that this makes a double bottom truckload of sense. An entire convoy even. Bolded the crux of what he's forwarding.

CNN

Chris Christie knows what makes Donald Trump tick.

Which is why it’s worth listening to the former New Jersey governor – and onetime Trump ally – when he explains why he thinks the former President kept classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago home after leaving the White House.

“I think it’s much more likely that they’re a trophy, that he walks around and says, ‘Look, I’ve got this, I’ve got this classified document or that,’” Christie said during an appearance on ABC’s “This Week.” “Because, remember something, he can’t believe he’s not president. He can’t believe he still doesn’t get these documents. And he needs to display to everybody down at Mar-a-Lago, or up in Bedminster during the summer, that he still has some of those trappings.”

Which is super interesting!

I think for many people – especially some Democrats – the guiding belief is that Trump kept all sorts of classified documents because he was (or is) up to something nefarious.

What Christie is proposing seems to me to be much more plausible.

Consider that so much of what Trump does is for the sake of appearances. What matters to him is how people perceive things, not how they actually are.

Put another way: He has spent a lifetime playing the role of “Donald Trump.” And his four years as president was the crowning moment in that lifetime role. He simply won’t – or can’t – accept that he no longer has that power and influence.

It’s why he continues to push debunked election fraud conspiracies. And it’s why he continues to act – for his base – like he is still president. Being able to, in the course of a conversation, to say to someone (using Christie’s words) “I’ve got this classified document” helps preserve the illusion that Trump remains, at some level, still in power. He still (at least his own mind) has the trappings of being president, which allows him to act (and more importantly be regarded) as president.

To be clear: The reasons why Trump decided to keep classified materials at Mar-a-Lago to is largely irrelevant as part of the ongoing Department of Justice investigation into his retention of those documents. Trump did what he did and the DOJ investigation is less interested in the “why” than the “what.”

But as a way to understand Trump’s psyche, Christie’s observation is invaluable. Trump is deeply invested in continuing to appear as though he is president. The retention of classified documents just make him sound and seem like he is still important.

Again, how things LOOK matters much more to Trump than how things ARE. Always has, always will.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/17/politics ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:32 pm
I think that this makes a double bottom truckload of sense. An entire convoy even. Bolded the crux of what he's forwarding.
CNN

Chris Christie knows what makes Donald Trump tick....

But as a way to understand Trump’s psyche, Christie’s observation is invaluable. Trump is deeply invested in continuing to appear as though he is president. The retention of classified documents just make him sound and seem like he is still important.

Again, how things LOOK matters much more to Trump than how things ARE. Always has, always will.
I don't know... is he carrying classified documents around with him so he can show them off when he gets a chance?

That seems like an exceptionally weak explanation to me. I think Christy is trying to downplay Trump's motivation, leveraging the fact that Trump's a narcissist. Sure, on the surface, it's believable (I mean, yeah, Trump is that stupid), but I think it's more likely he thought he could gain financially from the docs somehow. Remember, he's not above selling out the US for his own gain. He loves doing that, in fact.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Maggie Haberman in an interview with Trevor Noah that Trumps father was the reason for some of Trump's cruelty and support of violence.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:52 pm
I don't know... is he carrying classified documents around with him so he can show them off when he gets a chance?
Like Herschel Walker carrying a fake badge? Herschel Walker would be unable to sell the fake badge to foreign powers, unlike the stolen nuclear secrets Trump was hiding.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:52 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:32 pm
Um....kinda sorta. Yeah. But only if you believe Bob Woodward or Trump's voice on tape.

Trump showed classified Kim Jong Un letter to journalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsMe26ydsZY
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Judge Carter orders Eastman emails to January 6th committee under the crime-fraud exception to attorney client privilege.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .372.0.pdf

Trump signed under oath a verification on numbers he knew were not accurate for voter fraud after being made aware they were not accurate.

Edited to fix the URL as noted below
Last edited by Dwight on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:52 pm
Judge Carter orders Eastman emails to January 6th committee under the crime-fraud exception to attorney client privilege.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 0.372.0.pd

Trump signed under oath a verification on numbers he knew were not accurate for voter fraud after being made aware they were not accurate.
The correct address is

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .372.0.pdf
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land