January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

For the second time, the committee played leaked audio first reported by Mother Jones in which Trump adviser Steve Bannon, during an October 31, 2020, meeting, said that Trump had a “strategy” to prematurely assert he had won on Election Day. Explaining the so-called “red mirage,” in which Trump would show early leads in key states before mail-in ballots favoring Joe Biden were counted, Bannon said: “Trump’s going to take advantage of it. That’s our strategy. He’s gonna declare himself a winner.

“He’s gonna declare victory,” Bannon said. “But that doesn’t mean he’s a winner. He’s just gonna say he’s a winner.”
^ Bannon

Xanax,

Are you going to admit the ‘stolen election’ angle was cynical fraud?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:51 pm
NBC wrote:WASHINGTON — The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol voted unanimously Thursday to subpoena former President Donald Trump.

Members of the panel, which held what was expected to be its final hearing before the midterm elections Thursday, had previously said that they were still considering seeking an interview with Trump or former Vice President Mike Pence. Sources familiar with the committee's plans told NBC News of the subpoena earlier Thursday.

The panel's chair, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said the panel had an "obligation" to hear from Trump.

"This is a question about accountability to the American people. He must be accountable. He is required to answer for his actions," Thompson said, acknowledging the move as a "serious and extraordinary action."

The resolution to subpoena Trump passed with the support of all members, 9-0.

The resolution was introduced by Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., who called Trump the riot's "central player."

The subpoena comes more than a year after the committee began investigating the insurrection and despite multiple members of Congress previously acknowledging that it was unlikely Trump would comply.

It won't matter. He'll plead the fifth to every question or say he doesn't remember. That's what he's done under every questioning I've seen him engage in. He'll claim the committee is rigged just like the election.

Meanwhile he can run in 2024.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:24 am
It won't matter. He'll plead the fifth to every question or say he doesn't remember.
He'll claim Lucy Harris took 116 pages of his memory and the angel sequestered the rest to Kolob.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl wrote:

It won't matter. He'll plead the fifth to every question or say he doesn't remember. That's what he's done under every questioning I've seen him engage in. He'll claim the committee is rigged just like the election.

As much as the narcissist in him would love to do so...you are right. He will probably make a stab at 'negotiating' his attendance, but he'll say the Committee is being totally unreasonable.

As far as running in 2024, he has legal problems that could end in massive fines and possible jail time. If he is convicted of sedition, he is prohibited from holding public office.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:07 am
As much as the narcissist in him would love to do so...you are right. He will probably make a stab at 'negotiating' his attendance, but he'll say the Committee is being totally unreasonable.
Stephen Colbert tried to goad him into testifying last night by mentioning that it would have the largest TV audience in history. Wish he would have added plenty of KFC chicken and a bucket of gravy.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:07 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

As far as running in 2024, he has legal problems that could end in massive fines and possible jail time. If he is convicted of sedition, he is prohibited from holding public office.
Do you really think he'll be convicted by 2024? I don't. He'll drag it out all over hell's half acre like he does every legal problem. He can stall on the current subpoena and when he actually gets there to testify under oath he'll do what he's always done. Shut his mouth or speak without committing himself to anything.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here's the transcript of Trump's response to the Jan 6th committee vote to subpoena him. Scroll down. I haven't read through it yet myself.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/trump-respo ... e-subpoena

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 pm
Here's the transcript of Trump's response to the Jan 6th committee vote to subpoena him. Scroll down. I haven't read through it yet myself.

Trump being Trump, responded with 14 pages of proven lies. I think he was citing the pillow guy, Mike Lindell. If Trump were to testify, it would be 500-600 answers of "The Fifth" or else perjured testimony.

Given that Trump is a pathological liar, every sentence he uttered could result in a perjury charge unless he took the 5th on every single question other than his name.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 pm

Almost everything he claimed in that letter consisted of easily debunked lies, debunked numerous times already even by many of his own carefully chosen appointees and staff members. As already noted by Moksha, if he repeats any of them under oath, he will be massively guilty of perjury. I don't think he really cares, as he knows that his MAGA sycophants will uncritically believe anything he claims, no matter how abundant and incontrovertible the evidence against it. The more abundant and incontrovertible the evidence against him, the more his supporters will claim the mere existence of the cited evidence as proof of the scale and effectiveness of the "witch hunt" conspiracies against him.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Joseph Goebbells said if you tell a lie often enough people will believe it. A fundamentalist Christian friend of my wife said Obama was a Moslem. I told her of he video showing Obama at a funeral singing Amazing Grace. by the way what did you think of Pelosi? A lady on the View called her a badass. Contrary to what Scalise said she was on the phone trying to get help. The film proves Scalise was lying or deaf.