January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: January 6th Committee alleges Trump 'criminal conspiracy'

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Who is the the source of this information?
NBC's white house correspondent tweeted this. https://mercercountyoutlook.net/2022/06 ... testimony/
I think that’s fair. Hearsay is terrible for this kind of venue, and if first-hand witnesses set the record straight (assuming they’re not fibbing) then it’s an overall positive. It was a big misstep to allow hearsay into the record, and Trumpers will reeeeee over this ignoring all the facts that have heretofore been presented.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Who is the the source of this information?
NBC's white house correspondent tweeted this. https://mercercountyoutlook.net/2022/06 ... testimony/
Thanks, Dr. Exiled. That's all that I'd been able to find as well -- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So, anonymous source that is not either of the agents who were parties to the conversation and who is not in the Secret Service. I'm pretty sure Engle gave a deposition to the committee. The other party to the conversation may have as well. Given the obvious motives of Trumps supporters to discredit a pretty devastating witness, I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt until the other parties to the conversation weigh in on the record.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:13 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:04 pm
Does the construction have a scheduled completion date or are you just "prepared to" build it?
It's shovel ready.
***frantically thinks of ways he can suck up to Steuss***
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Quick note. Engel has already testified previously to the J6 committee. A Newsweek article I read last night says his testimony is consistent with that of Hutchinson though he didn't mention the physical advances made by Trump. It's not much of an article but here it is...

https://www.newsweek.com/cassidy-hutchi ... el-1720148
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:13 pm
Quick note. Engel has already testified previously to the J6 committee. A Newsweek article I read last night says his testimony is consistent with that of Hutchinson though he didn't mention the physical advances made by Trump. It's not much of an article but here it is...

https://www.newsweek.com/cassidy-hutchi ... el-1720148
Thanks, Jersey Girl. That's what I was remembering, but I didn't have a source.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:

I think that’s fair. Hearsay is terrible for this kind of venue, and if first-hand witnesses set the record straight (assuming they’re not fibbing) then it’s an overall positive. It was a big misstep to allow hearsay into the record, and Trumpers will reeeeee over this ignoring all the facts that have heretofore been presented.

- Doc

Oh you can bank on that. In fact last night out of curiosity I checked out the FOX News website just to see if they were even covering it, and way down at the bottom of the page they only mentioned that Hutchinson's testimony was negated by two secret servicemen.

But let's wait and see if this was a misstep. They may not be denying her account or maybe they'll deny only some aspects of it.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm

- Doc

Oh you can bank on that. In fact last night out of curiosity I checked out the FOX News website just to see if they were even covering it, and way down at the bottom of the page they only mentioned that Hutchinson's testimony was negated by two secret servicemen.

But let's wait and see if this was a misstep. They may not be denying her account or maybe they'll deny only some aspects of it.
Trumpers gonna Trump, not matter what you do. If there are any criminal prosecutions, lots of folks are going to learn they don't understand what hearsay is or that the hearsay rule is riddled with exceptions.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 pm

Trumpers gonna Trump, not matter what you do. If there are any criminal prosecutions, lots of folks are going to learn they don't understand what hearsay is or that the hearsay rule is riddled with exceptions.
Yeah, I mean it was obviously hearsay just the way she told it. Not sure why it was included other than maybe it was just an interesting sidebar that pertained to Trump's desire to get to the capitol for "his people." But there was already enough evidence to establish that that is what he wanted to do.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:22 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Yeah, I mean it was obviously hearsay just the way she told it. Not sure why it was included other than maybe it was just an interesting sidebar that pertained to Trump's desire to get to the capitol for "his people." But there was already enough evidence to establish that that is what he wanted to do.
I don't know why it was, either. Or what happened that caused the committee to schedule the hearing on short notice. It's hard to know when we're not privy to all the evidence.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Trump, Secret Service agent confirmed main elements of bombshell Jan. 6 fight over driving to Capitol
Washington Post reporter and Secret Service expert Carol Leonnig told MSNBC on Tuesday night that Trump physically could have reached for Engel and the steering wheel of the Secret Service SUV he was riding in on Jan. 6 — not the presidential limo, or Beast — and that Engel and especially Ornato "were very, very close to President Trump, and some people accused them of at times being enablers and yes men of the president."

Leonnig reported that her unidentified sources said the Secret Service agents "dispute that Donald Trump assaulted any agent or tried to grab the steering wheel on Jan. 6" but "agree Trump was furious about not being able to go to Capitol with his supporters."

Trump and Engel have also both corroborated the thrust of Hutchinson's testimony.

Trump told The Washington Post in April that he had wanted to accompany his supporters to the Capitol on Jan. 6, but the "Secret Service said I couldn't go. I would have gone there in a minute." Engel testified to the Jan. 6 committee that he and Trump had disagreed about going to the Capitol and he had steered them to the White House instead, Politico reported earlier this month.