Inflation be Damned

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Inflation be Damned

Post by ajax18 »

Gasoline (and by extension everything) is expensive in western countries and it should be because this is somehow going to save the planet, right?
Absolutely.

At least you're honest about this. I was comiserating with a patient about gas prices. I said, "Well I guess people got what they voted for." Then he gets mad, says he's a liberal and tries to tell me that high gas prices have nothing to do with environmentalism and are only because oil companies are price gouging. The fact that he was on disability should have tipped me off. It still amazes me how he doesn't realize that environmentalism has disproportionately expensive to working class Americans and Western Europeans.

And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 pm
I was comiserating with a patient about gas prices. I said, "Well I guess people got what they voted for." Then he gets mad, says he's a liberal and tries to tell me that high gas prices have nothing to do with environmentalism and are only because oil companies are price gouging. The fact that he was on disability should have tipped me off. It still amazes me how he doesn't realize that environmentalism has disproportionately expensive to working class Americans and Western Europeans.

Please explain which environmental policies are causing these wild swings in the price of European Brent crude.

From what I can see, the frequency of your posting directly correlates with the rise in oil prices. Why do you keep making oil prices rise, ajax? : )
Attachments
D6A484C0-FCFE-4A06-8611-C5778D47917A.png
D6A484C0-FCFE-4A06-8611-C5778D47917A.png (229.94 KiB) Viewed 592 times
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 pm

At least you're honest about this.
But you're never honest about anything and whenever I ask questions that would expose your hypocrisy you just ignore them. The fact is we will never be free from the fluctuating oil prices that are so easily triggered by global forces unless we make the conscious decision to move on from oil. Democrats have been pushing for this for decades. Republicans can't even conceive of the possibility, thinking fossil fuels are a infinite resource that requires nothing more than digging deeper holes. "Drill baby drill."
I was comiserating with a patient about gas prices.
Commiserating. And people who come into your little shop to upgrade their bifocals aren't in any sense "patients."
I said, "Well I guess people got what they voted for." Then he gets mad, says he's a liberal and tries to tell me that high gas prices have nothing to do with environmentalism and are only because oil companies are price gouging.
Sounds like a smart person. Hope he comes to his senses and stops doing business with you.
The fact that he was on disability should have tipped me off.
So you're dumb enough to think those on disability are overwhelmingly Democrats.
Using a scale composed of 10 political values questions (discussed in more detail in Pew Research Center’s 2014 report “Political Polarization in the American Public”), fully four-in-ten Americans with disabilities express a mix of conservative and liberal political values, 31% take more liberal than conservative positions across these 10 questions and 26% are more conservative than liberal in their values. That closely matches those without disabilities, with Americans without disabilities being slightly more likely to hold consistently liberal positions.
It still amazes me how he doesn't realize that environmentalism has disproportionately expensive to working class Americans and Western Europeans.
Why would it amaze you that there are actually educated people walking into your shop who don't let Brietbart brain wash them?
Last edited by K Graham on Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax, have you ever heard of OPEC?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

It is sad that this has to be reiterated to America's peanut gallery every time gas prices spike. It always tracks with the GLOBAL price of crude. Has nothing to do with whether or not Keystone is only 3% built or 30% built. It has nothing to do with a President's "environmental policies." It has everything to do with supply and demand.
crude-gas.jpg
crude-gas.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 584 times
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:42 pm
It is sad that this has to be reiterated to America's peanut gallery every time gas prices spike. It always tracks with the GLOBAL price of crude. Has nothing to do with whether or not Keystone is only 3% built or 30% built. It has nothing to do with a President's "environmental policies." It has everything to do with supply and demand.

crude-gas.jpg
Why do you start digressing like this? I thought we had established that in your view gas prices need to be high or even higher than now so that green energy can be more competitive. Now you want to claim that environmental regulations don't reduce the supply of gasoline in the same breath. Do you not realize that you're contradicting yourself or do you just not care at this point? I guess winning in politics is just a matter of stating whatever line sounds best to the voters at the time. And I will hand that to you, the Democrats do win a lot in spite of upholding very unpopular policies. I guess that's because the media, big, tech, and the deep state are all there pulling the strings for you.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I thought we had established that in your view gas prices need to be high or even higher
In other words, Those in favor of green energy need gas prices to be higher in order to compete -- the same goes for those in favor of fracking. However, just because frackers and green advocates need gas prices to be higher doesn't mean that gas prices magically go higher. For that, you need the blessing of Saudi Arabia. Maybe if you weren't an infidel Allah would hear your pleas and put in a word for you.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:01 pm
K Graham wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:42 pm

crude-gas.jpg
Why do you start digressing like this? I thought we had established that in your view gas prices need to be high or even higher than now so that green energy can be more competitive. Now you want to claim that environmental regulations don't reduce the supply of gasoline in the same breath. Do you not realize that you're contradicting yourself or do you just not care at this point? I guess winning in politics is just a matter of stating whatever line sounds best to the voters at the time. And I will hand that to you, the Democrats do win a lot in spite of upholding very unpopular policies. I guess that's because the media, big, tech, and the deep state are all there pulling the strings for you.

One thing is certain: oil pricing must be on the higher end, worldwide, for US-sourced production to be profitable enough to operate.

As for renewables, the tide has turned, in many ways.
According to a joint 2020 report from the International Energy Agency (IEA, Paris, France) and Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA, Paris), levelized costs of generating electricity (LCOE) for “low-carbon” generation technologies like wind and nuclear power is increasingly falling, making these technologies cost-competitive with fossil fuel power generation.

The report, which is ninth in a series of studies on electricity generating costs to inform policymakers and other decisionmakers, is based on expected 2025 plant-level costs reported by 243 plants in 24 countries, ranging in energy source from coal and natural gas to solar and wind to nuclear energy.

The report acknowledges that costs vary by country and within countries, and that variable electricity generated by solar and wind power, and policy regulations related to carbon emissions and climate change, all will have effects on electricity generation costs.

Still, through its survey responses, the reporting agencies found that, in most of the represented countries, LCOE for renewable or nuclear energy plants is expected to be lower than that of coal- or gas-powered plants. In the United States, for example (which contributed the highest number of participant plants from one country, at 64), onshore wind and solar power are expected to be, at an assumed emissions cost of $30 per ton of CO2, the least expensive to operate, followed by natural gas, offshore wind, nuclear and coal. In China and India, utility-scale solar power is reported as the least-cost option, followed by onshore wind and solar.

Notably, the report says that onshore wind is expected to have, on average, the lowest levelized costs of electricity in 2025. Nuclear energy is predicted to continue growing as well, and, the report says, will be key to meeting global decarbonization objectives cost-effectively. Offshore wind costs, too, are decreasing, though are not quite at the level of onshore wind yet.
https://www.compositesworld.com/amp/new ... onal-power
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:24 pm
One thing is certain: oil pricing must be on the higher end, worldwide, for US-sourced production to be profitable enough to operate.
Which is something they won't tell you at FOX. In fact this is the reason why Keystone construction was halted. Because the corporations behind it were watching oil prices drop so low they had to regroup to decide if it was going to even be profitable to build it.
Last edited by K Graham on Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:01 pm

Why do you start digressing like this?
It isn't digression by simply pointing out you don't understand what drives gasoline prices up and down. Saying higher gas prices makes Green Energy more appealing to energy producers/consumers shouldn't be an earth shattering revelation. But you're constantly trying to engage in correlation = causation by blaming Democrats every time the price goes up and then giving them zero credit when the prices plummet under their watch. You keep asserting this nonsense that gas prices are driven up and down based on "policies" but you cannot name a single policy despite being asked four times now, and even if you could you cannot draw any direct causation from it.