What exactly is Ukraine trying to defend?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: What exactly is Ukraine trying to defend?

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:17 am

Isn't it the same thing when cops show up to someone's house? If cops wanted to arrest you, would you resist? We both know Russia could use bigger missiles at any moment, so it is probably best for Ukrainians to stop the resistance. I remember Russia wasn't attacking civilians during the first week of the invasion.
You know I think those hypersonic (?) missiles they just started using are actually the bigger missiles you are thinking of. But don't go by me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

DT, it's as if you are making excuses for an abusive, possessive boyfriend. What if Canada or Mexico become a satellite of Russia? Do you ever ask yourself how or why that could happen? The border between Canada and the U.S. is the longest unguarded border in the world. People from Mexico want to get IN to the United States. The relationships north and south have found ways to have ways to interconnect beneficially through strong trade.

If you were a Ukrainian, who would you want to align with?

The reality is that Putin is in the situation of a jilted partner. He broke up a while ago, but found out Ukraine was dating someone who makes a lot more money, doesn't demand as much, gives more respect and is more fun to be with. Putin has always hated this guy. But with his behavior, Putin has sealed his own fate with respect to other countries wanting to partner up with him.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Isn't it the same thing when cops show up to someone's house? If cops wanted to arrest you, would you resist?
You mean if the cops from Mexico showed up in America to arrest me? If I thought I could resist arrest, I would.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:04 pm
Isn't it the same thing when cops show up to someone's house? If cops wanted to arrest you, would you resist?
You mean if the cops from Mexico showed up in America to arrest me? If I thought I could resist arrest, I would.
It is pretty much an us vs them mentality.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:08 am

You know I think those hypersonic (?) missiles they just started using are actually the bigger missiles you are thinking of. But don't go by me.
Yes, because of all the resistance. Hopefully Russia doesn't use even bigger missiles.

It keeps getting worse.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:40 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:08 am

Yes, because of all the resistance. Hopefully Russia doesn't use even bigger missiles.

It keeps getting worse.

I actually listened to one broadcast last night (I listen to a lot) where the commentator said they are using those hypersonic missiles because they can launch them from inside Russia. I don't know a lot about military weapons nor do I know why they choose to launch them from Russia. Anyway, just more information.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:42 am

If you were a Ukrainian, who would you want to align with?
I wouldn't fight. Russia could use nuclear weapons at any moment. The sad truth is that Ukraine is at the mercy of Russia.
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm

I actually listened to one broadcast last night (I listen to a lot) where the commentator said they are using those hypersonic missiles because they can launch them from inside Russia. I don't know a lot about military weapons nor do I know why they choose to launch them from Russia. Anyway, just more information.
I guess they are testing them?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:49 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm

I guess they are testing them?
I think it's a military strategy of some kind that I don't understand. Maybe it's like sending an airborne sniper in?

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:01 am

By that logic, American colonists in favour of independence should never have started fighting, because King George's troops were in the country from the very start.
I don't think King George had nuclear weapons.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:51 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:01 am

By that logic, American colonists in favour of independence should never have started fighting, because King George's troops were in the country from the very start.
I don't think King George had nuclear weapons.
I get it. Your view is that if the troops of a country with nuclear weapons succeed in crossing your border, you have to surrender at once, amirite?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.