What exactly is Ukraine trying to defend?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: What exactly is Ukraine trying to defend?

Post by honorentheos »

Chap wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:15 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:51 pm

I don't think King George had nuclear weapons.
I get it. Your view is that if the troops of a country with nuclear weapons succeed in crossing your border, you have to surrender at once, amirite?
Or, if there is any chance the conflict could somehow result in DT dying, it needs to end, full stop. Nuclear war? Scary because DT might die. Russian occupation? Not scary because DT won't die if the Ukrainians give up their national sovereignty.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:49 pm
I guess they are testing them?
I think it's a military strategy of some kind that I don't understand. Maybe it's like sending an airborne sniper in?
My admitted guess is it has to do with the ability of Ukraine to stop them. The hypersonic missiles are supposed to be too fast to successfully intercept in flight. And keeping the launch locations out of range of Ukrainian drones and air defenses would make them unlikely to be stopped prior to launch, too.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:19 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm

I think it's a military strategy of some kind that I don't understand. Maybe it's like sending an airborne sniper in?
My admitted guess is it has to do with the ability of Ukraine to stop them. The hypersonic missiles are supposed to be too fast to successfully intercept in flight. And keeping the launch locations out of range of Ukrainian drones and air defenses would make them unlikely to be stopped prior to launch, too.
I was thinking that, too, honor. It protects their (what the heck are those) jets that launch them and there's no stopping any of it because the missiles are too fast. I am not now nor have I ever been a military strategist that is for sure.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cam where are you man????
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

As time goes on and Russia continues to incompetently flounder and fail to conquer, Putin is going to feel more boxed in and start resorting to even more brutal measures. That's a really bad thing. I don't see Putin being overthrown by his own people. Zelensky needs to be a little more flexible in his peace terms, not because Putin deserves it but because his alternative at best is a long guerilla war that benefits nobody and at worst nuclear anihilation.

We need an off ramp for both sides not an ultimatum.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:14 pm

Or, if there is any chance the conflict could somehow result in DT dying, it needs to end, full stop. Nuclear war? Scary because DT might die.
A nuclear world war is very unlikely.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:14 am
I don't see Putin being overthrown by his own people. Zelensky needs to be a little more flexible in his peace terms, not because Putin deserves it but because his alternative at best is a long guerilla war that benefits nobody and at worst nuclear anihilation.
Oh my god! Perhaps the world is going to end after all.

Are you really the same ajax18?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:26 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:19 pm

I was thinking that, too, honor. It protects their (what the heck are those) jets that launch them and there's no stopping any of it because the missiles are too fast. I am not now nor have I ever been a military strategist that is for sure.
Sounds like that was the reason.

Biden said, “It's, as you all know, it's a consequential weapon, and, but with the same warhead on it as any other launch missile, it doesn't make that much difference, except it's almost impossible to stop it. There's a reason they’re using it.”
Last edited by honorentheos on Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:14 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:26 pm

Biden said. “It's, as you all know, it's a consequential weapon, and, but with the same warhead on it as any other launch missile, it doesn't make that much difference, except it's almost impossible to stop it. There's a reason they’re using it.”
Omg I'm just watching a video about it. I time stamped it for you. These can be launched from 1K miles away.

https://youtu.be/U-heJ9tnh30?t=171

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:16 am
honorentheos wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:14 am

Biden said. “It's, as you all know, it's a consequential weapon, and, but with the same warhead on it as any other launch missile, it doesn't make that much difference, except it's almost impossible to stop it. There's a reason they’re using it.”
Omg I'm just watching a video about it. I time stamped it for you. These can be launched from 1K miles away.

https://youtu.be/U-heJ9tnh30?t=171
Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting.