I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

Post by Marcus »

Markk wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:48 am
canpakes wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:34 pm

The US dollar as the world’s primary reserve currency is a super-interesting topic - and you’re correct inasmuch that it allows us to ‘print money’ with supposedly less consequence to our own economy. It’s also what allows us to organize sanctions against Russia that are more effective than could ever be if the dollar was not the world’s reserve currency choice. This is something that may become a challenge down the road as China’s economy continues to grow.

But, I probably shouldn’t add yet another derail to the derail’s derail. : )

If you find a “oil money” for dummies link let me know? Controlling sanctions makes sense.

As far as derailing a topic…derailing a thread is what makes this interesting…if you just call DP, Joseph Smith, Trump-and Biden dumb ass’s over and over on a thread it gets old.
What gets old are reading your scattershot and uber-panicked nonsense posts. Thankfully there are plenty here who keep the information and the conversation on track. Thanks for that, guys.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:50 am
What this means is, increasing US production of oil requires high, sustained prices in order to make it profitable to tap shale oil reserves. We’ll keep pumping our conventional reserves, but higher US production requires the price of gas to stay high.
I think that the last figure that I saw was that oil needs to be trading a bit north of $60 - $65 a barrel to incentivize shale oil producers to operate consistently or to even begin to consider increasing production resources.

The US industry has seen some wild boom-to-bust swings because this level is easily breached downward if OPEC nations manage to agree to pump just a wee bit more than what the market requires, which can then lead to quick shutdowns and unemployment wth the US producers.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think fracking break-even points have fallen quite a bit, but why would anyone work just to break even? Given the general state of inflation, I could probably make a profit putting ads on Craigslist and cutting hair in my garage. Since it's possible, then surely I must be motivated to spend my weekends chipping away and rising salon prices, right? That makes about as much sense as oil companies sacrificing themselves to satisfy angry right-wingers demanding cheap gas.

And as for the general state of inflation, why is the price of gas more special than the prices of everything else from wood to nickel? It's all part of the same phenomena, so really what right-wingers are asking is that government somehow mask the problem of inflation by artificially lowering the price of one of a thousand commodities that are soaring right now. It's not just that you have to outproduce OPEC, which Res and others show is impossible as all they have to do is shove a garden hose in the ground and oil spills out, but somehow satisfy yourself that once you've artificially lowered the price of one commodity that you've made a difference when a thousand other commodities are bearing down on you.

inflation right now is a general problem, not an oil specific problem. Oil is relatively easy to solve from a technical standpoint. OPEC could bring meaningful relief if they were self-sacrificing. Transportation is another afflicted industry, and the worst is probably ocean shipping. Clogged ports and too-few ships aren't a matter of a self-serving cartel out there refusing to push a button. In fact, that oil cartel probably gauges its button pushing by what they observe in the broader market, by industries that are subject to actual market forces. If there ever was a beaten down industry, it's container shipping. It's been down for years and years. I guess for Trump mania regular guys, a broke-ass shipping market and rock bottom prices were a marvelous thing. But that makes it even harder to facilitate the demand surge after pandemic lockdowns and shifting consumption preferences that sent charter rates through the roof. It takes 2-3 years to build a container ship.

And what about trucking? Too few trucks on the road are also adding to our inflation problem. The right-wing answer to this problem has been to pretend that the government manufactured the pandemic and vaccines are laced with microchips and then park their trucks in the middle of somebody's home town and protest, making the supply chain problem even worse.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:24 am
I think fracking break-even points have fallen quite a bit, but why would anyone work just to break even? Given the general state of inflation, I could probably make a profit putting ads on Craigslist and cutting hair in my garage. Since it's possible, then surely I must be motivated to spend my weekends chipping away and rising salon prices, right? That makes about as much sense as oil companies sacrificing themselves to satisfy angry right-wingers demanding cheap gas.

And as for the general state of inflation, why is the price of gas more special than the prices of everything else from wood to nickel? It's all part of the same phenomena, so really what right-wingers are asking is that government somehow mask the problem of inflation by artificially lowering the price of one of a thousand commodities that are soaring right now. It's not just that you have to outproduce OPEC, which Res and others show is impossible as all they have to do is shove a garden hose in the ground and oil spills out, but somehow satisfy yourself that once you've artificially lowered the price of one commodity that you've made a difference when a thousand other commodities are bearing down on you.

inflation right now is a general problem, not an oil specific problem. Oil is relatively easy to solve from a technical standpoint. OPEC could bring meaningful relief if they were self-sacrificing. Transportation is another afflicted industry, and the worst is probably ocean shipping. Clogged ports and too-few ships aren't a matter of a self-serving cartel out there refusing to push a button. In fact, that oil cartel probably gauges its button pushing by what they observe in the broader market, by industries that are subject to actual market forces. If there ever was a beaten down industry, it's container shipping. It's been down for years and years. I guess for Trump mania regular guys, a broke-ass shipping market and rock bottom prices were a marvelous thing. But that makes it even harder to facilitate the demand surge after pandemic lockdowns and shifting consumption preferences that sent charter rates through the roof. It takes 2-3 years to build a container ship.

And what about trucking? Too few trucks on the road are also adding to our inflation problem. The right-wing answer to this problem has been to pretend that the government manufactured the pandemic and vaccines are laced with microchips and then park their trucks in the middle of somebody's home town and protest, making the supply chain problem even worse.
I listened to a podcast series about the changes in trucking a few years back. Changes in the industry have almost eliminated independent trucking as a decent career. It sounds like lots of the independent truckers who loved being on the road called it quits, and there isn’t much there to attract new blood. It’s something that will probably take higher wages to fix. That’s the kind of thing markets should be able to handle.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res wrote:I listened to a podcast series about the changes in trucking a few years back. Changes in the industry have almost eliminated independent trucking as a decent career. It sounds like lots of the independent truckers who loved being on the road called it quits, and there isn’t much there to attract new blood. It’s something that will probably take higher wages to fix. That’s the kind of thing markets should be able to handle.
And what's happened to trucking as a career is happening to last-mile delivery. It's an interesting problem. I've by no means done the deep dive here, but markets seem to be having a heck of a time figuring these problems out.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Markk wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 pm

Energy independence means that we export more energy than we import. So your assertion is baseless. We were energy independent under Trump.
That's not what it means at all. Energy independence means you're entirely self sufficient. The USA has never been entirely self sufficient. As RI already pointed out, our refineries are designed to refine a type of crude that isn't pumped domestically. You seem to believe that all types of crude are created equal as "energy."

This is perhaps the dumbest comment I've seen you make lately. All you're doing is burying your head in Right Wing talking points without thinking any of this through. You just take for granted anything they tell you.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

LOL coming from someone who just claimed there is a solar plant being built in North Africa that will supply ALL of Europe with power. That a solar plant built in the Mohave desert will supply the US and all its homes, and I assume businesses, with power for 20 dollars a month, I would hardly accuse others of dumb posts. Not even remotely.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 am
LOL coming from someone who just claimed there is a solar plant being built in North Africa that will supply ALL of Europe with power. That a solar plant built in the Mohave desert will supply the US and all its homes, and I assume businesses, with power for 20 dollars a month, I would hardly accuse others of dumb posts. Not even remotely.
My claims are backed up by facts, and if not, then I accept being wrong and change my views accordingly. By contrast, you just double down on stupid and regurgitate some other Right Wing hit piece and claim, "See, there is another side you're not seeing!" Wash, rinse, repeat.

The goal is to eventually power all of Europe is what I said, and now you're just desperately trying to find ways to excuse your own stupidity by manufacturing examples from me that aren't even close to being comparable. It is just a scientific fact that we could power the entire country from the empty, unused land in our deserts. Your problem is with accepting any facts that disrupt your narrative of worshipping oil as the "life blood" of our economy.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Were you wrong Kevin?
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Kevin,

Yes we could use the desert and solar power…some day, it will take first getting better technology, and years to plans and years to change just about every house, commercial building, and manufacturing to renewables…and that is Good, but it will take a decades upon decades.

You were stating about turning a big profit in electric investments, which I applaud as a capitalist…so I assume you went out with those profits and bought a electric car and converted to solar or wind at your house (if you have not already before that). Do you own a all electric house, if so…good for you.