The Radicalization of a Message Board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Mrs. Atlanticmike

The Radicalization of a Message Board

Post by Mrs. Atlanticmike »

It is not true what my husband says about DiscussMormonism being taken over by progressives. I have many Progressive friends who would never act as these radical leftist do. Despite my husband's presence, this board was radicalized before he arrived, and the radicals have been controlling the narrative for several years now. Any view that does not coincide with the radical narrative will be labeled as being "trollish." After that, the radicals will set up a hit squad to get rid of the dissenting opinion and the "troll."
As Dr. Shades called Mike, he is the canary in the coal mine that is DiscussMormonism. Anybody who will listen will hear him warning that the board is suffering from a leftist radicalization. There is no fault on the board founder, there is fault on the radical leftists who took advantage of UR#1. That, Mike guessed correctly. A progressive friend I asked to read through some of the Spirit Paradise threads said that, despite Mike acting like a jerk, which she's used to, she recognized the radical narrative that dominated the forum. She and I do not agree much except on how to raise our children, but now we both agree that this board is becoming what Mike likes to call an echo chamber because of its radicalization. My question is for the radicals Marcus, Jersey Girl, Kevin, Doc Cam and Schmo, why not respect Dr. Shade's wishes and start allowing posters to express their opinions without labeling them "trolls?"
Last edited by Mrs. Atlanticmike on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kishkumen
God

Re: The Radicalization of a Message Board

Post by Kishkumen »

MrsAtlanticmike,

I would invite you to read the posts of jpatterson in the Terrestrial Forum if you think this is an Echo Chamber run by radical leftists. There you will find arguments between jpatterson, clearly a leftist who fights the fight of gender politics, against other people, some who share his views and some who don’t. In any case, you will see actual arguments taking place. You will see that this is not a homogeneous group. Your claims about this board simply do not withstand scrutiny.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Define 'radical.'

by the way, how would you react if I said, "The Trump servants like Mrs. AM have taken over the board" and repeated that in 10 threads a day for six months? Would you be upset that I called you a Trump servant, or would you just think, This person is trying to troll me, because I'm clearly no servant of Trump? Would you even think it's worth talking to me?

If you answer that honestly, you will understand why most people regard you (I mean... your "husband") a troll.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there any doubt now who this is?

I cannot imagine any scenario where the wife of a banned troll would be doing this.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:51 pm
Define 'radical.'

by the way, how would you react if I said, "The Trump servants like Mrs. AM have taken over the board" and repeated that in 10 threads a day for six months? Would you be upset that I called you a Trump servant, or would you just think, This person is trying to troll me, because I'm clearly no servant of Trump? Would you even think it's worth talking to me?

If you answer that honestly, you will understand why most people regard you (I mean... your "husband") a troll.
LOL…Schmo, how many hundreds of times have you portrayed, said, or implied conservatives are this and that without adding nothing more to the conversation. It is funny. Many like you here “make a living,” so to speak doing that. in my opinion, using an old saying…”you can dish it out but you can’t take it.”

by the way…it is the 49ers turn to do something with Garoppolo?

Take care
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:54 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there any doubt now who this is?

I cannot imagine any scenario where the wife of a banned troll would be doing this.
I cannot imagine a scenario where an actual mature person would make a troll account for a nonexistent wife, but here we are...
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Mrs. Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:28 pm
I have many Progressive friends who would never act as these radical leftist do.
Ok, I’ll bite, because I’m always interested in how this label comes about.

Despite my husband's presence, this board was radicalized before he arrived, and the radicals have been controlling the narrative for several years now.
What is ‘the narrative’?

the radical narrative
the radicals
leftist radicalization.
radical leftists
the radical narrative
an echo chamber because of its radicalization.

One of the problems with some approaches by some folks in discussions, is the tendency to repeat simple labels over and over and over and over and over and over again, without any actual discussion being part of the discussion. I think you’d agree with that, right?

My question is for the radicals Marcus, Jersey Girl, Kevin, Doc Cam and Schmo, why not respect Dr. Shade's wishes and start allowing posters to express their opinions without labeling them "trolls?"
What makes these folks ‘radical’?

Mike acting like a jerk,
could be a large part of the problem, yes?

I have an idea. Check out this thread linked below, and discuss the radical ideas within it by any of the folks you’ve listed above. Consider that maybe broadly proclaiming to an entire subset of the population that the behavior they experience is imaginary is more radical than the alternative.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1086

I’ll bet that your own take on things might be more enlightened than the one presented here:
Attachments
816F5EFA-C3AC-4AE8-9458-0F79C0AF313C.jpeg
816F5EFA-C3AC-4AE8-9458-0F79C0AF313C.jpeg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

In what universe is Jersey a radical?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Father Francis wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:15 pm
In what universe is Jersey a radical?

Searching … please stand by.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:57 pm
[unconfirmed allegations of scheduled duels and/or accusations of alpha- or beta-ness are removed, but can be viewed within the original post that is now within the Spirit Prison version of this topic. -cp-]

The fact that you call people like Doc a "Progressive" who operates in an "echo chamber" is nothing short of hilarious to those of us who've been posting here for years. As I pointed out before, which you keep ignoring, Doc and I have butted heads many times over the years. Hell, he went so far as to claim I never really cared about the plight of American minorities because if I truly cared I'd be in the streets protesting (this was before the BLM protests began). During the BLM protests he went to great lengths to provide a counter to every example of social injustice I provided. He was a fan of Andy Ngo who is a creep that blames Antifa for just about everything, and for every comment I made pointing to Right Wing violence, Doc would provide some tweet from Ngo, suggesting the "Left" is just as bad as the Right when it comes to engaging in political violence. I've also disagreed with folks like Kishkumen and Res Ipsa even though none of us can stand Trump.
I think your last sentence hits on a key point: Trump was an extremely polarizing figure who worked very hard at being the center of attention. Lots of folks who otherwise has political disagreements among themselves were strongly opposed to Trump. But being anti-Trump doesn’t equate to being “progressive” or “radical leftist.” And no one who paid any attention to the actual politics of folks on this board would make the obvious mistake of applying either label to individuals that Mike and his wife have applied them to.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.