The Boys

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Schreech
CTR A

Re: The Boys

Post by Schreech »

Chap wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:03 pm
Schreech wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:37 pm
"don't look up" was painful after about 30 minutes.
I watched it all the way through, and enjoyed it, as did my wife. Maybe we just have longer attention spans?

Obviously it was not a docudrama, but for me it did a good job as a broadly topical satirical comedy. However, tastes may differ.
I definitely don’t have the attention span of most and I liked the premise and even enjoyed many aspects of the movie. It felt, to me, that it crossed from a clever satire to not so subtle preachy parody. Almost like the director didn’t give the audience enough credit to catch on to what he was trying to say so he threw subtlety out the door and went full on caricature which probably alienated the people he was trying to reach most. It got to the point that I felt like I was stuck listening to a smug relative rant on and on about about their pet political issue. Eh, I was mostly entertained but the 5-10 minute long tirades started dragging.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Schreech wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:05 pm
... the director didn’t give the audience enough credit to catch on to what he was trying to say so he threw subtlety out the door and went full on caricature which probably alienated the people he was trying to reach most.
I really don't think the director was thinking "Gosh, maybe if I can show a lot of people from the President down ignoring obvious evidence of coming disaster, that will persuade people to take this kind of thing more seriously, and then maybe they will react to the climate crisis more sensibly".

I think he was out to make a film in which those of us who are near despair about the current state of political and public discussion of climate issues were given a chance to have a good laugh and cheer ourselves up somewhat. That certainly worked for me!

Similarly, Chaplin's marvellous "The Great Dictator" was not made in the hope of stopping people following Hitler, but to enable the rest of us to have a much needed laugh at Hitler's expense with a film that "went full on caricature".
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

Chap wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:28 pm

I really don't think the director was thinking "Gosh, maybe if I can show a lot of people from the President down ignoring obvious evidence of coming disaster, that will persuade people to take this kind of thing more seriously, and then maybe they will react to the climate crisis more sensibly".
From the director:

"My sweaty fever dream of a situation would be Joe Manchin sitting down with his family, thinking, “Let’s watch this, it’s supposed to be a comedy, my kids like Leonardo DiCaprio, my grandkids like Ariana Grande.” And then that ending comes. My dream would be that for one second, Joe Manchin feels it in his bones. For even a second!"
Chap wrote:
I think he was out to make a film in which those of us who are near despair about the current state of political and public discussion of climate issues were given a chance to have a good laugh and cheer ourselves up somewhat. That certainly worked for me!
Cool. I, like many who agree with the premise of the film (and were even excited to watch it), felt like we were stuck in a sermon that lasted about an hour and a half too long...
Chap wrote:
Similarly, Chaplin's marvellous "The Great Dictator" was not made in the hope of stopping people following Hitler, but to enable the rest of us to have a much needed laugh at Hitler's expense with a film that "went full on caricature".
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...Im glad you liked it - i really wanted to enjoy it. This reviewer, like many, felt much the same way I did:

"McKay has little trust in his audience or his characters. The film bellows its argument at us: the world is terrible, and we are doomed if we do not change. Few would dispute this. But a good argument isn't enough to make a good movie."
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I still have to get around to Don't Look Up, and I'm happy to have my expectations lowered. That seems to be another factor contributing to how much I enjoy something. Some of my best times watching movies came after expecting them to disappoint.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

viewtopic.php?p=2759972#p2759972

We talked briefly about it in the thread above. My take is linked but there are others. My one sentence review: A "Kick Me" sign with a 2 hour and 25 minute run time.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 pm
I still have to get around to Don't Look Up, and I'm happy to have my expectations lowered. That seems to be another factor contributing to how much I enjoy something. Some of my best times watching movies came after expecting them to disappoint.
Ignore the reviews and treat it as pure amusement.

There are times when even people so intellectually austere as you and me need to simply watch something to have fun.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I watched 1.5 seasons. Need to get around to finishing the second season.

Husband and I are watching Peacemaker right now and loving it.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:51 pm
I watched 1.5 seasons. Need to get around to finishing the second season.

Husband and I are watching Peacemaker right now and loving it.
Peacemaker is the best “superhero” show on right now. Even the opening credits are awesome.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Schreech wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 pm
Peacemaker is the best “superhero” show on right now. Even the opening credits are awesome.
When I need a pick-me-up I cue up the Peacemaker opening and watch it again.

True story.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:38 pm
Schreech wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 pm
When I need a pick-me-up I cue up the Peacemaker opening and watch it again.

True story.
Do you join in the dance?