What It Means to be a Liberal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: What It Means to be a Liberal

Post by K Graham »

Aaaaaaand Mike's "wife" ignores all questions just like her "husband."

Im shocked.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 pm
Aaaaaaand Mike's "wife" ignores all questions just like her "husband."

Im shocked.
Ladies and gentlemen: we have seen this kind of poster before several times on this board.

To describe it, I long ago coined the term "output-only chatbot". I think that just about sums up what we have in the posters referred to.

(Of course, that may be because their only mode of reply allowed for in their software is insults and nonsense, which would I suspect get them disconnected by the mods ...)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Chap wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:31 pm
"output-only chatbot".
I like that. It does seem strange how we've built a tolerance for assertion only posters. People come here with no intention to discuss or debate anything, just to assert things, often incorrectly. And when you challenge them on the subject they either 1) disappear or 2) derail.

Markk and ajax are famous for the latter.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

By "dealt with" Mike in a skirt was talking about either the "final solution" or shipping them to Canada.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:01 am
By "dealt with" Mike in a skirt was talking about either the "final solution" or shipping them to Canada.
I hear Canada is nice….
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Black Moclips
Nursery

Post by Black Moclips »

I like that. It does seem strange how we've built a tolerance for assertion only posters. People come here with no intention to discuss or debate anything, just to assert things, often incorrectly. And when you challenge them on the subject they either 1) disappear or 2) derail.
No one else thinks this is hilarious coming from KG himself? Really? How many threads a day does he start, not to debate or discuss, but to just post link from [your choice of liberal news outlet] to say "look how dumb these people are" or "look how racist these people are", etc. I only ever pop in here once in a long while, but nothing changes from the last time. Just an echo chamber for certain people to get a confirmation that they are justified in looking down on the other half of America.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:01 am
:roll: Don’t insult the skirts.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Black Moclips wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:52 pm
No one else thinks this is hilarious coming from KG himself? Really? How many threads a day does he start, not to debate or discuss, but to just post link from [your choice of liberal news outlet] to say "look how dumb these people are" or "look how racist these people are", etc. I only ever pop in here once in a long while, but nothing changes from the last time. Just an echo chamber for certain people to get a confirmation that they are justified in looking down on the other half of America.
Nah there’s a qualitative difference between kg and the 2 mikes + bing. Read back a bit. It’s not even close.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:10 am
It helps the discussion to recognize that there is both content we see today in these arguments while also much that's been lost as we've "othered" to such incredible degrees.
This is incredibly important in my mind. I worries me to see such a deterioration of political relations both on the large scale and personal scale and how, as you mentioned, we've grown to increasingly 'otherize' those we disagree with politically. The basic premise of politics requires dialogue. It requires a transfer of ideas and solutions. I fear that exchange is going to continue to die off as we just write off our political opponents as the 'other'. I am always reminded of the story of Daryl Davis, a black man who deconverted KKK members by sitting with them and talking with them. His story is quite remarkable.
What I have come to find to be the greatest and most effective and successful weapon that we can use, known to man, to combat such adversaries as ignorance, racism, hatred, violence, is also the least expensive weapon, and the one that is the least used by Americans. That weapon is called communication.

-Daryl Davis
I long for THIS America. Maybe it is too idealistic, but damn does it sound good.
Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

-Obama
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kukulkan wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:23 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:10 am
It helps the discussion to recognize that there is both content we see today in these arguments while also much that's been lost as we've "othered" to such incredible degrees.
This is incredibly important in my mind. I worries me to see such a deterioration of political relations both on the large scale and personal scale and how, as you mentioned, we've grown to increasingly 'otherize' those we disagree with politically. The basic premise of politics requires dialogue. It requires a transfer of ideas and solutions. I fear that exchange is going to continue to die off as we just write off our political opponents as the 'other'. I am always reminded of the story of Daryl Davis, a black man who deconverted KKK members by sitting with them and talking with them. His story is quite remarkable.
What I have come to find to be the greatest and most effective and successful weapon that we can use, known to man, to combat such adversaries as ignorance, racism, hatred, violence, is also the least expensive weapon, and the one that is the least used by Americans. That weapon is called communication.

-Daryl Davis
I long for THIS America. Maybe it is too idealistic, but damn does it sound good.
Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

-Obama
Thanks for the reference to Daryl Davis. He accomplished amazing things by being willing to sit down and talk with people that he could have easily written off as his enemies.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.