After 1 month: Russia, Ukraine, NATO, sanctions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

After 1 month: Russia, Ukraine, NATO, sanctions

Post by MeDotOrg »

On the first day of the invasion, if you asked me what the battlefield after 30 days, I would have imagined pockets of fierce Ukrainian resistance, but Kiev and the majority of the cities in Russian hands, and the war, for all intents and purposes, would be over.

I think even those who suspected that the Russian army was more show than go have been surprised by its lackluster performance. I've been surprised by the West's willingness to impose sanctions both deep and broad as well as providing substantial arms to the Ukrainians.

Democracy seemed to have lost ground in the 21st Century. We live in a blizzard of data in the information age, and sometimes it can be hard to see in a blizzard. But in the West's response to the Russian invasion, I can see a bit of Churchill's observation that democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried. Seeing Putin try to extinguish a democracy by brute force has awakened a response that has surprised us all. There is human suffering on a scale not seen in Europe since World War II, but out of that darkness has come a coordinated and effective response.

A lot of the response to this crisis has given me some hope. Not just for the fate of Ukraine, but for the West re-defining a sense of purpose.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Manetho
Valiant B

Re: After 1 month: Russia, Ukraine, NATO, sanctions

Post by Manetho »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:04 am
There is human suffering on a scale not seen in Europe since World War II…
I think you're forgetting the Balkan genocides of the 1990s. But the US and its allies in Western Europe did eventually intervene to stop those, too. Europeans really, really don't want this kind of thing happening in Europe again.

What's really unusual in the Ukraine situation is that an authoritarian state is invading and trying to overthrow a democratic one. I'm not sure if we've seen that anywhere in the world since the Cold War ended.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The hope that you speak of is what I think about every night before I go to sleep and it is in my prayer. After the divisive nature of the reactions to the pandemic (fighting over a thin piece of paper that goes over the mouth and nose, as well as what I think is a no-brainer solution--vaccines) I never expected to see this country unite much less the world.

You would have thought the pandemic would have united us, but no. It took this war flashing across our screens every day and the impressive leadership of Zelensky and the fierce determination, courage, resourcefulness, and righteous indignation of the Ukrainian citizens. I'll never forget early on seeing that older woman (babushka) walking up to Russian soldiers and telling them to take her sunflower seeds so that something beautiful would grow when they lie down there (die), or a video of a Ukrainian man with a cigarette in his mouth gingerly carrying a land mine to the side of the road. And that was only the beginning.

One night I viewed images of women of all ages training with weapons. Holding AR's with polished nails and even children holding practice rifles. I didn't even mind that children were involved because they were playing at being equipped and witnessing empowerment. It humbled me to tears. Could I do that? Would I do that? Or would I flee? I still don't know the answer.

The worldwide response in the form of sanctions, protests, humanitarian efforts and weapons assistance has restored my faith in the soul of humankind. That is something I never expected to feel or think ever again in my life time. I absolutely thought we humans were done for. I thought we were destined to suffer the consequences of our own greed and self interest.

It took one man.

Just one man with a lust for power, control, and self glory and consumed by evil influences to change everything about we humans. Suddenly we've been faced with the spirit and passion of Zelensky for his people. We have seen their suffering and realized a strong desire to relieve it. We have found our hearts again.

Gas prices going up? I think we're collectively willing to make our donation to the effort to relieve Ukraine at the pump.

Hope this isn't considered a wall of text. Like I said, this is the time of day when I really reflect having viewed the days' events and praise my God for this change in human hearts. I'm only sorry that it took vicious brutality to make it happen. The world saw it and the world made a choice.

I am proud of us as a global community. I am proud of us as a country. And I am proud that my husband and children are part Ukrainian.

Slava Ukraini!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Manetho wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:40 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
There is human suffering on a scale not seen in Europe since World War II…
I think you're forgetting the Balkan genocides of the 1990s. But the US and its allies in Western Europe did eventually intervene to stop those, too. Europeans really, really don't want this kind of thing happening in Europe again.

What's really unusual in the Ukraine situation is that an authoritarian state is invading and trying to overthrow a democratic one. I'm not sure if we've seen that anywhere in the world since the Cold War ended.
There are great similarities between the breakup of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union. Both were confederations held together by strong leaders and ideologies. When the mantle of Communism was removed, dormant nationalist grievances awoke.

I'm not forgetting or dismissing what happened in Bosnia. My statement was about the scale of the suffering. Bosnia and Herzegovina had a combined population of a little more that 3 million in the 90's. Ukraine's population was over 44 million. Over 10 million Ukrainians have been displaced. Again, just a matter of scale.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gas prices going up? I think we're collectively willing to make our donation to the effort to relieve Ukraine at the pump.
Gas prices were going up long before the Russian invasion of Ukraine and even longer before acutal sanctions on Russia oil were placed. Gas prices are high because of climate change policy, which turned out to not be as popular as Democrats thought. I must hand it to the Democrats. They do a great job using global events like COVID or the Russian invasion to turn around a what would have been disastrous elections for them.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm
... climate change policy, which turned out to not be as popular as Democrats thought.
Newsflash: Responsible politicians do not decide what policies to bring forward on the basis of whether they are popular or not. Responsible politicians bring forward policies that they judge are in the long-term national interest.

It is essential for the future of life and living standards in the US (as elsewhere) that global temperatures should not continue to rise towards levels that will see the number of incidents of drought, heatwaves wildfires and and highly damaging intense weather events increase faster and faster, as they inevitably will if nothing is done.

If that happens, current difficulties caused by rising gasoline prices will be looked back on as trivial economic blips compared to what will hit the productive economy. and the physical circumstances of everyday life.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:25 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm
... climate change policy, which turned out to not be as popular as Democrats thought.
Newsflash: Responsible politicians do not decide what policies to bring forward on the basis of whether they are popular or not. Responsible politicians bring forward policies that they judge are in the long-term national interest.

It is essential for the future of life and living standards in the US (as elsewhere) that global temperatures should not continue to rise towards levels that will see the number of incidents of drought, heatwaves wildfires and and highly damaging intense weather events increase faster and faster, as they inevitably will if nothing is done.

If that happens, current difficulties caused by rising gasoline prices will be looked back on as trivial economic blips compared to what will hit the productive economy. and the physical circumstances of everyday life.
Ok, but for Biden to say gas prices are Putin's fault is a lie.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

MeDotOrg wrote:
On the first day of the invasion, if you asked me what the battlefield after 30 days, I would have imagined pockets of fierce Ukrainian resistance, but Kiev and the majority of the cities in Russian hands, and the war, for all intents and purposes, would be over.

I think even those who suspected that the Russian army was more show than go have been surprised by its lackluster performance. I've been surprised by the West's willingness to impose sanctions both deep and broad as well as providing substantial arms to the Ukrainians.

Democracy seemed to have lost ground in the 21st Century. We live in a blizzard of data in the information age, and sometimes it can be hard to see in a blizzard. But in the West's response to the Russian invasion, I can see a bit of Churchill's observation that democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried. Seeing Putin try to extinguish a democracy by brute force has awakened a response that has surprised us all. There is human suffering on a scale not seen in Europe since World War II, but out of that darkness has come a coordinated and effective response.

A lot of the response to this crisis has given me some hope. Not just for the fate of Ukraine, but for the West re-defining a sense of purpose.
Democracy is what allowed Putin to mount this attack. When Mitt Romney cited Russia as the biggest threat in the world he was mocked by Obama during the debate. "The 1980s called and asked for their foreign policy back." That line along with isolationist, anti defense spending rhetoric, won the hearts and minds of the American and Western public and propelled Obama and this policy of "flexibility with Russia" to victory because voters are uninformed and foolish.

It's only now that Germany has decided to contribute the 2% of their GDP to NATO that Trump demanded they contribute years ago. Once again the west is late and now we've got a much bigger problem on our hands because of it. And the only person that the American and European voter has to blame for this is himself.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:52 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:

Democracy is what allowed Putin to mount this attack. When Mitt Romney cited Russia as the biggest threat in the world he was mocked by Obama during the debate. "The 1980s called and asked for their foreign policy back." That line along with isolationist, anti defense spending rhetoric, won the hearts and minds of the American and Western public and propelled Obama and this policy of "flexibility with Russia" to victory because voters are uninformed and foolish.

It's only now that Germany has decided to contribute the 2% of their GDP to NATO that Trump demanded they contribute years ago. Once again the west is late and now we've got a much bigger problem on our hands because of it. And the only person that the American and European voter has to blame for this is himself.
Bitter, bitter, bitter. ;)

Nobody "allowed" Putin to attack Ukraine, and the partisan blame game has gone beyond parody at this point. Your post is actually carrying Putin's water, as it is contrary to the unified action needed to address Putin's war.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Bitter, bitter, bitter. ;)

Nobody "allowed" Putin to attack Ukraine, and the partisan blame game has gone beyond parody at this point. Your post is actually carrying Putin's water, as it is contrary to the unified action needed to address Putin's war.
Maybe Hannity is right. I do blame the Democrats for getting us into this situation. I tended to agree with Tulsi Gabbard that it was in the best interest of the world that Ukraine not attempt to fight a battle they can't win. Maybe it's best for the US to fight Russia on this. Maybe this war in the Ukraine is the foundation for deterrence going forward. But this is going to be very expensive and cause incredible hardship in so many ways. Imagine if this had happened during Trump's term. There would have been no talk of unity only an effort to undo the results of the election through any means possible.