After 1 month: Russia, Ukraine, NATO, sanctions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: After 1 month: Russia, Ukraine, NATO, sanctions

Post by Gadianton »

Just a few days ago Ajax was inspired by the Ukrainian will to fight. He was ready to go to battle himself. Then he turns on Fox news and realizes he's supposed to be on Putin's side and regains composure.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:05 pm
... Russia (a nation that exists due to revolutions)
Ummm ... the what was that?

I think you may be equating Russia and the old Soviet Union.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Chap wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:23 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:05 pm
... Russia (a nation that exists due to revolutions)
Ummm ... the what was that?

I think you may be equating Russia and the old Soviet Union.
You don't view the events leading to the dissolution of communism and the formation of what currently constitutes the Russian Federation as revolutionary? Ok.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Manetho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Although I won't argue that Biden isn't senile, and I've never been an admirer of his, he may not be as senile as he looks. He has struggled with a stutter his entire life, which is one of the reasons he is awkward when speaking. And having been on the Senate foreign policy committee for years and years, and having put together an experienced State Department, he is probably better suited to handling foreign policy than any other aspect of his job. Since Putin started beating the war drums, I think the administration has handled the situation about as well the US could handle it, given the circumstances.
I essentially agree with all of this. Moreover, Trump could have never united the West against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine the way Biden has. It is true that his speech impediment has become more difficult to keep in check as advanced old age does its work. This makes him look worse than he is, but cognitive decline is cognitive decline. Moreover, he has never been the sharpest of our pols.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:16 pm
Manetho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Although I won't argue that Biden isn't senile, and I've never been an admirer of his, he may not be as senile as he looks. He has struggled with a stutter his entire life, which is one of the reasons he is awkward when speaking. And having been on the Senate foreign policy committee for years and years, and having put together an experienced State Department, he is probably better suited to handling foreign policy than any other aspect of his job. Since Putin started beating the war drums, I think the administration has handled the situation about as well the US could handle it, given the circumstances.
I essentially agree with all of this. Moreover, Trump could have never united the West against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine the way Biden has. It is true that his speech impediment has become more difficult to keep in check as advanced old age does its work. This makes him look worse than he is, but cognitive decline is cognitive decline. Moreover, he has never been the sharpest of our pols.
I could be talking out of turn here but I don't think Biden is in a state of cognitive decline. I think what we see is his stuttering and he gaffes when he is fatigued as he was on this latest trip. I'm purely amazed that a man his age can fly over the Pond and make any sense at all the next day. I sure cannot do that. :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

If you want to evidence of cognitive decline, check out Trump’s rally speech where he tried to talk about the high cost of gas. The guy couldn’t complete a sentence and completely confused the price of gas per gallon (which he thought was at 2 or 3 dollars per gallon) with the price of oil per barrel (which he said that people were saying was heading for $250 per barrel) But you could see the cognitive decline by comparing his speech and movement while President with that ten years before.

Biden has never been a strong speaker, especially when not giving a prepared speech. I don’t see obvious cognitive decline. He sounds to me like he’s always sounded.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:44 pm
I could be talking out of turn here but I don't think Biden is in a state of cognitive decline. I think what we see is his stuttering and he gaffes when he is fatigued as he was on this latest trip. I'm purely amazed that a man his age can fly over the Pond and make any sense at all the next day. I sure cannot do that. :shock:
When I compare the Biden of today with the Biden of a couple of decades ago, the differences are very striking. I see what appears to me to be clear evidence of decline.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:13 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:44 pm
When I compare the Biden of today with the Biden of a couple of decades ago, the differences are very striking. I see what appears to me to be clear evidence of decline.
Well. I could easily be wrong.

But I'm not wrong. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I don’t see why people are so defensive about Biden’s cognitive state, as though a person of that age does not experience the natural impact of aging on the brain. I find it baffling to see “no decline here” entertained as a real possibility, let alone vociferously insisted upon.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:16 pm
I don’t see why people are so defensive about Biden’s cognitive state, as though a person of that age does not experience the natural impact of aging on the brain. I find it baffling to see “no decline here” entertained as a real possibility, let alone vociferously insisted upon.
I don't see why you think that making an observation based assessment is defensiveness. I don't see anyone saying there is no decline here either.

Go figure.

Slava Ukraini!