So I Don’t Derail the Derail with a Derail About Derails

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

So I Don’t Derail the Derail with a Derail About Derails

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I know that derails are generally seen as anathema (and in many cases, rightfully so), but the way they often develop and grow on this board is one of the reasons I love this community. There have been so many times that a derail has evolved into a conversation (or multiple) that I have enjoyed and learned from.

Organic conversations are one of the things I love so much about this joint.

Also, San Dimas High School football rules.
canpakes
God

Re: So I Don’t Derail the Derail with a Derail About Derails

Post by canpakes »

Pizza is awesome.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:05 pm
I know that derails are generally seen as anathema (and in many cases, rightfully so), but the way they often develop and grow on this board is one of the reasons I love this community. There have been so many times that a derail has evolved into a conversation (or multiple) that I have enjoyed and learned from.

It really depends on whether the original topic is still under active discussion. When it is, derails can get in the way of the conversation. Otherwise, the conversation may just meander all over the map. I'll likely split the energy discussion out of the "step down" thread, as it's taken on a life of its own. But I'll probably give it a substantive title instead of the usual "From" so folks interested in the topic can join in.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:17 pm
It really depends on whether the original topic is still under active discussion. When it is, derails can get in the way of the conversation. Otherwise, the conversation may just meander all over the map. I'll likely split the energy discussion out of the "step down" thread, as it's taken on a life of its own. But I'll probably give it a substantive title instead of the usual "From" so folks interested in the topic can join in.
Post did not contain derail, therefore it doesn't exist. Science.

Back on topic, pigeons can tell the difference between Picasso and Monet.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:01 pm
Now I am imagining a dimly lit room where a line of paintings are being brought in to show a pigeon sitting on a chair and giving a thumbs up or down as to its authenticity.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:04 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:01 pm
Now I am imagining a dimly lit room where a line of paintings are being brought in to show a pigeon sitting on a chair and giving a thumbs up or down as to its authenticity.
The Godpigeon approves of your contribution to the thread. Res Ipsa has been reported though.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Why, yes. I do know the muffin man.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Would Calvinball rules also be acceptable?

My favorite rule from there would surely help the mods with derailing decisions:

Rules cannot be used twice (except for the rule that rules cannot be used twice),
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:21 pm
Would Calvinball rules also be acceptable?

My favorite rule from there would surely help the mods with derailing decisions:

Rules cannot be used twice (except for the rule that rules cannot be used twice),
Sometimes when I read the word "sweet," my brain reads "sweat," and it ruins things like Italian sweet cream, and sweet pickles. But not sweet potatoes for some reason. Sweat potatoes and sweet potatoes both sound delicious.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:10 pm
Why, yes. I do know the muffin man.
I've personally never been to Guam.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Not to derail sweaty sweetnesses and pickled sweets (sorry!!!! :mrgreen: ) but I realized calvinball may work even better than I thought. Here’s one section I found, adapted only very slightly:

obscure queueing and banning System

The queueing and banning system in [DisMorm] is never made clear, and it's unlikely that there are consistent queueings and bannings across threads, forums, years or Cabals. The only detail that is known is that queues and bans can have non-numeric values. In one queue, the penalty was Q threads and in another, the ban lasted until oogy to boogy.