NBC news story on Hunter Biden

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: NBC news story on Hunter Biden

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Markk,

Did you not understand how lobbyists function and what they do? What was it about that site you found illuminating?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:28 pm
What favor would the unions/Sloan and Becker receive from this, and if Hunter was “lobbying this”…what would he receive in return? Was Hunter receiving a salary from the trade union? Was this a freebie?
Do you see how you immediately jumped to the language of corruption, speaking of favors and hinting at kickbacks?

Remove the names and just list the positions/organizations involved.

Vice President Biden’s assistant for intergovernmental affairs and public liaison received a request from the Director of Government Relations for the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades advocating that a union lawyer be nominated to the National Labor Relations Board.

So a major labor union reached out through the assistant to the VP responsible for public relations and intergovernmental affairs with their preferred rep on the National Labor Board.

The scandal of it all.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:56 pm
While reading I came across this…

In one email from February 18, 2010, Ryan received a request from Chris Sloan, Director of Government Relations for the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades advocating that union lawyer Craig Becker be nominated to the National Labor Relations Board. Sloan asked that Vice President Biden press Obama on the issue. Hunter was CCed.

Interesting phrasing from your source. ; )

Not to bust your theory here, but Becker was nominated well before this date, and a Senate panel vote on Feb 4, 2010 allowed his nomination to be considered on the floor.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100208225 ... ecker.html
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:37 pm
Markk,

Did you not understand how lobbyists function and what they do? What was it about that site you found illuminating?

- Doc
Well…No I do not understand everything a lobbyist does and all the loop holes and how they use them. And equally i do not pretend to do so. I guess I am not a expert in all this like yourself.

That said I fully understood and understand that lobbyists grease politicians pockets, in one way or another. I didn’t know about, or at least put together how they get around direct contributions via the fundraiser “strategy.” I didn’t tie those as th e groups putting together many of these fundraisers as hired lobbyists by special interest groups. I think a good study on “special interest groups” is in the queue for me.

What I found as a interesting perspective is what Abramoff is quoted as saying…

“ I would say to [the Member], ‘When you’re done working on the Hill, we’d very much like you to consider coming to work for us.’ The moment I said that, we owned them. And what does that mean? Every request from our office, every request of our clients, everything that we want, they’re gonna do.” – Former lobbyist Jack Abramoff “

It brings into perspective ex-politians and high level aid and position holders who build up “respect”…say Newt, or Psaki, and countless others. They work their way up and then cash out. Newt certainly has with Fox, especially promoting his books. Psaki is going to NBC is another…was she lobbied for this and when did it start, and how does that effect, if any, her answer from NBC reporters, who will be her confederates when she finally signs the deal.

So Doc, I am still looking and learning and don’t know everything, not even remotely close to that, like you must know.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:59 pm
Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:56 pm
While reading I came across this…

In one email from February 18, 2010, Ryan received a request from Chris Sloan, Director of Government Relations for the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades advocating that union lawyer Craig Becker be nominated to the National Labor Relations Board. Sloan asked that Vice President Biden press Obama on the issue. Hunter was CCed.

Not to bust your theory here, but Becker was nominated well before this date, and a Senate panel vote on Feb 4, 2010 allowed his nomination to be considered on the floor.

Why does that bust my theory…was Hunter CC’d on the e-mail? That was my point, go back and read what I wrote.

This is what I wrote. “ If this is true…Aside from the politics…why would Hunter be cc’d on this? The only reason I can think of is that Hunter was indeed lobbying in regards to his fathers position. This lends to the Rosemont/White House connection.”

If the e-mail is in fact real, and the dates correct, then it just shows that Ryan was not up to speed on the appointment…but again Hunter was CC’d…why?
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:03 pm
Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:28 pm
What favor would the unions/Sloan and Becker receive from this, and if Hunter was “lobbying this”…what would he receive in return? Was Hunter receiving a salary from the trade union? Was this a freebie?
Do you see how you immediately jumped to the language of corruption, speaking of favors and hinting at kickbacks?

Remove the names and just list the positions/organizations involved.

Vice President Biden’s assistant for intergovernmental affairs and public liaison received a request from the Director of Government Relations for the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades advocating that a union lawyer be nominated to the National Labor Relations Board.

So a major labor union reached out through the assistant to the VP responsible for public relations and intergovernmental affairs with their preferred rep on the National Labor Board.

The scandal of it all.
Why was Hunter CC’d on the e-mail…?

This is what I wrote…” If this is true…Aside from the politics…why would Hunter be cc’d on this? The only reason I can think of is that Hunter was indeed lobbying in regards to his fathers position. This lends to the Rosemont/White House connection.”

There is one name on the list, and “the subject” of my question you must have missed… Hunter Biden, the VP’s son. Remember Joes denies in asking Hunter about his business dealings…yet he is cc’d on an e-mail by JB’s assistant? I it just foreign business dealings he said that about, or domestic also…I will have to go back and see the quote. Does it make a difference?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:33 pm
Why was Hunter CC’d on the e-mail…?
You seem to imagine this question is the lynch pin to the scandal you believe is hidden here, then?

Ok, lay out the scandal. Worst case scenario what do you imagine is going on here?
The only reason I can think of is that Hunter was indeed lobbying in regards to his fathers position.

In early 2009? Yeah, could be that Hunter made the introduction to Evans. If you go all the way back to somewhere around page 26 of this thread you'll find a post I made regarding Hunter being a lobbyist up to when Joe was sworn in as VP and Rosemont Seneca was established when he left the lobbying firm. He had contacts on both sides. Kinda what that entails. Being a lobbyist for a labor union isn't a crime or even distasteful. Suggesting a contact at a labor union reach out to the public relations assistant to make contact isn't a crime or even distasteful. Unless you believe that Joe was getting kickbacks for picking the guy recommended you aren't arguing anything here.
This lends to the Rosemont/White House connection
No it doesn't.
There is one name on the list, and “the subject” of my question you must have missed… Hunter Biden, the VP’s son.
Ok, then explain what the issue is here involving Hunter Biden besides his being cc'd on the email. Explain the scandal you believe is revealed in this.
Remember Joes denies in asking Hunter about his business dealings…yet he is cc’d on an e-mail by JB’s assistant? I it just foreign business dealings he said that about, or domestic also…I will have to go back and see the quote. Does it make a difference?
sigh.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Markk wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:18 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Why does that bust my theory…was Hunter CC’d on the e-mail? That was my point, go back and read what I wrote.

This is what I wrote. “ If this is true…Aside from the politics…why would Hunter be cc’d on this? The only reason I can think of is that Hunter was indeed lobbying in regards to his fathers position. This lends to the Rosemont/White House connection.”

If the e-mail is in fact real, and the dates correct, then it just shows that Ryan was not up to speed on the appointment…but again Hunter was CC’d…why?

I'll go with, 'business associate shows support for nominee and cc's partner as a courtesy', but ...

Your argument is that senior White House staff was unaware of its own nomination before the Senate, even after the Senate had already discussed Becker's nomination ... and that VP Biden needed to be reminded to support the nomination that was made by the White House ... by Schwerin emailing White House VP staff directly and cc'ing Hunter Biden, because there's no way that the White House would become aware of their own support for their own nominee if not directly reminded by someone else who just happened to cc the VP's son while directly addressing VP staff of the candidade that they forgot that they had nominated and were supporting ..?

Sure, you can run with that. ; )
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:31 pm
Your argument is that senior White House staff was unaware of its own nomination before the Senate, even after the Senate had already discussed Becker's nomination ... and that VP Biden needed to be reminded to support the nomination that was made by the White House ... by Schwerin emailing White House VP staff directly and cc'ing Hunter Biden, because there's no way that the White House would become aware of their own support for their own nominee if not directly reminded by someone else who just happened to cc the VP's son while directly addressing VP staff of the candidate that they forgot that they had nominated and were supporting ..?
Worse, it wasn't Schwerin doing the emailing. The Schwerin tie-in is he met with Ryan the year before so who knows what kind of devilish schemes they were cooking up. Just look at this situation involving a labor union lawyer!!! It could go all the way to Satan if you embrace any conjecture and tidbit of circumstantial evidence that even kinda supports a conspiracy mindset.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Something that occurred to me during the discussion is that the apparent distaste for leveraging connections that underlays Markk's conjectures sits side-by-side with the belief everyone is playing on a level field where wealth and success is earned. There's a serious naïvété regarding the advantages and effects of being connected at high levels that, when glimpsed at work among folks like Hunter Biden, causes a realization of unfairness but it can't comprehend it as systemic unfairness. So it has to be individual corruption and criminality at play. This outrage about the injustice involved makes for easy manipulation and direction for political purposes.

It's revealing how broken the GOP ideology has become where it is based on culture war issues rather than economic ones. It can't see the world as it exists and maintain coherence. So, Satan!!!!