Digging the hole

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Digging the hole

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:15 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:00 pm

Thanks, it's a family loss for sure. He used to growl and literally try to bite anyone who came near his food dish. They thought of getting rid of him more than once. But he learned to be secure about food and know that no person or dog would take it from him. He used to take off like a rocket out here and run off the property. He was so fast you couldn't keep up with him on foot. He eventually learned to stay around the people out here and became so obedient. Over the years he turned into such a good boy. We will all miss him.
I'm sorry to hear this also. I know my puppy is over 12 and beginning to seriously show signs of wear and tear and age. I fear that dreaded day coming up....
I just got back a bit ago from visiting him. He's 14 years old now and all I can say is that they are doing the right thing. It's amazing how much joy our fur babies bring to our lives and so sad when we face final decisions. His area is prepared on the hill for tomorrow. I'm thankful we have a place for our fur family members to be. Later in the afternoon I'll go run over to their house with some fresh baked tea bread and flowers. It's what we do around here. And cry, of course. Everyone will be okay. But not tomorrow.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

This was something I had to grapple with fairly recently as the family dog was getting old. She had encountered several health issues and we saw that her quality of life had severely diminished to the point where we knew it was best to put her to rest. It is so hard to describe the feeling of knowing that putting the dog to rest is the best idea, yet feeling that sense of guilt and even fear that the dog will pass because of your decision. I wasn't prepared to experience those complex emotions.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:34 pm
This was something I had to grapple with fairly recently as the family dog was getting old. She had encountered several health issues and we saw that her quality of life had severely diminished to the point where we knew it was best to put her to rest. It is so hard to describe the feeling of knowing that putting the dog to rest is the best idea, yet feeling that sense of guilt and even fear that the dog will pass because of your decision. I wasn't prepared to experience those complex emotions.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
And thank you for sharing yours. There are, as you say, many feelings and thoughts to contend with surrounding these events. We have had many pets euthanized over the years and without question, it is no less difficult with time and experience. Every time we've done it, I have always thought we should have made the decision earlier but the tug of parting is why we didn't. And so it is just that way.

I find myself feeling thankful that we have a place where we can provide a peaceful space where our animals can be buried for our family members who choose it, and make it easy for them. Little children and tough guys from Jersey can cry in private peace there, and myself as well.

Funny how my favorite spot has turned into something I never imagined it would be. But the sun filters through the tall trees on that little hill and casts long shadows of the trees on the grasses and compared to everything else around here, I think it's just so lovely.

And...I think I think too much.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I sympathize with you all. Sounds like a great place to lay the much-loved pet to rest. It will be a year in June since out cat, Jake, went missing. I still talk to the Lord about it.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7