Attachment Quota?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: Attachment Quota?

Post by K Graham »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:08 am
K Graham wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Last week I tried posting an attachment and I got a message saying I had already met my quota for attachments.

When did this happen?

And what number of attachments are we allowed to post?

I tried again today and it says I'm still at my quota and it doesn't tell me when I can post again.
can you show exactly what you were doing? There are a number of default attachment related settings, I've never touched those, I doubt Shades has either but he can speak up if otherwise. I don't know what the use case of attachments are aside from an AV, to be honest.
Well I could show you a screenshot if I were allowed to provide an attachment. :lol:

That's how I post all of my images, straight from my desktop.

Normally I'd click on the "attachment" tab, then click on "add files" and then there would be a tab that says something like "place inline" which effectively adds the image to the post. But now the "place inline" option is gone and when I look over to the far right under "Status" there is a yellow triangle symbol like an upside down yield sign, and when I click on that, this window message pops up:

"Error

Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Whatever this attachment limit is, you can still post images using a free image hosting service like imgbb or imgr.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Normally I'd click on the "attachment" tab, then click on "add files" and then there would be a tab that says something like "place inline"
Were you doing it like this on the old board? Shades, if you're around, how has this historically worked?

As Res said, for now you can use imgbb etc., the vast majority of material is put up that way because if everybody here used our server space for images it would add up fast. Text is cheap, and the same storage required for decades of ldsfaqs-length posts would go fast with images. If it's not that bad maybe we can expand some space for it, but I'll need to review it, I honestly don't even have a ball-park guess right now.

The settings available limit in several different ways, including a universal limit, which is what I'm assuming has been exceeded.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:57 am
Normally I'd click on the "attachment" tab, then click on "add files" and then there would be a tab that says something like "place inline"
Were you doing it like this on the old board? Shades, if you're around, how has this historically worked?

As Res said, for now you can use imgbb etc., the vast majority of material is put up that way because if everybody here used our server space for images it would add up fast. Text is cheap, and the same storage required for decades of ldsfaqs-length posts would go fast with images. If it's not that bad maybe we can expand some space for it, but I'll need to review it, I honestly don't even have a ball-park guess right now.

The settings available limit in several different ways, including a universal limit, which is what I'm assuming has been exceeded.
The problem is that if you try to hyperlink an image from another site it doesn't always work because the image is usually too big. I think it has to be 720 x 720 pixels at most. So typically I download an image and then I have to resize and then upload it as an attachment. To answer your question, the answer is yes, this is how I've always done it on the other board too.

The only way I can do it with hyperlinking it as you said, is to download the image, resize it and then upload it to a free hosting service like photobucket. I used to have a free photobucket account but it must have changed to pay service over time because all the images now have "PHOTOBUCKET" written across the images.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I increased the universal limit -- curious if that fixes the problem.

Will review viability later.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Maybe Gad fixed your attachment disorder. :lol:
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:18 am
Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:57 am

The problem is that if you try to hyperlink an image from another site it doesn't always work because the image is usually too big. I think it has to be 720 x 720 pixels at most. So typically I download an image and then I have to resize and then upload it as an attachment. To answer your question, the answer is yes, this is how I've always done it on the other board too.

The only way I can do it with hyperlinking it as you said, is to download the image, resize it and then upload it to a free hosting service like photobucket. I used to have a free photobucket account but it must have changed to pay service over time because all the images now have "PHOTOBUCKET" written across the images.
The attachment services I've used allow you to resize the uploaded photo. So, you upload the photo, resize the uploaded photo if necessary, generate the link, and paste the link into your post.

Yes, it might be a couple steps more than attaching, but it uses up lots less of our available storage, which we have to pay for.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.