Shifting U.S. to 100% Renewables

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Shifting U.S. to 100% Renewables

Post by Res Ipsa »

Just for reference, here is a chart of greenhouse gas emissions per capita in different regions:

Legend: solid=fossil fuels and industry; vertical lines=land use, land use changes, forestry; diagonal lines=other greenhouse cases

Not that it will keep Ajax from hopping to his next point of resentment, but it puts some perspective on Western Europe and the U.S. when it comes to per capita emissions.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Is it possible yes, is it practically possible in a short time frame…not even close.
Just tax the rich.

Oh wait that might not work, as it turns out Democrat oligarchs like Michael Bloomberg pay less than half the rate of income tax as average Americans. Even so Bloomberg probably pays a higher rate than Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangel, Jesse Jackson Jr., Maxine Waters, and Patrice Cullors.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Oh wait that might not work, as it turns out Democrat oligarchs like Michael Bloomberg pay less than half the rate of income tax as average Americans. Even so Bloomberg probably pays a higher rate than Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangel, Jesse Jackson Jr., Maxine Waters, and Patrice Cullors
why wouldn't it work? Isn't the point of "tax the rich" that the rich aren't paying their fair share?

I'm guessing you're thinking something like, rich Democrats should voluntarily pay double or triple taxes, otherwise they are hypocrites.

Let me just explain one thing. A lot of responsible adults out there are willing to take the hit on something, whether it's taxes or something else, but only if everyone else also must take the hit. And this makes sense. If Maxine Waters paid double taxes, it wouldn't make a difference. However, it everyone in that (alleged) income bracket has to pay, it does make a difference.

I just think it's funny how the top 1% have raised an army somewhere in the bottom 60% to protect their own vast wealth, as if it's sacred or something. You'd spend your time milking the bottom 20% for a few pennies that won't fix anything rather than inconveniencing the top .1 percent a little bit and thereby lightning your own burden.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Kevin do you plan to drive these electric cars and trucks until they die? You're paying $15k more for this vehicle than an ICE, then when you go to trade it in, you'll be getting $5k less for it than an ICE because you're electric vehicle will need a new battery.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:39 am
Is it possible yes, is it practically possible in a short time frame…not even close.
Just tax the rich.

Oh wait that might not work, as it turns out Democrat oligarchs like Michael Bloomberg pay less than half the rate of income tax as average Americans. Even so Bloomberg probably pays a higher rate than Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangel, Jesse Jackson Jr., Maxine Waters, and Patrice Cullors.
Five people you detest, all black. What are the chances?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:08 am
Kevin do you plan to drive these electric cars and trucks until they die? You're paying $15k more for this vehicle than an ICE, then when you go to trade it in, you'll be getting $5k less for it than an ICE because you're electric vehicle will need a new battery.
You don't know what you're talking about [deleted, FR 2, RI] Teslas go forever because there are fewer moving parts involved. Yes, the battery would likely need to be changed out at 280-300,000 miles, but how many people drive their ICE cars that far in the first place? They typically let the car die on them or trade it in on a newer car. I've never had an ICE above 110,000 miles and that was 30 years ago. Four years ago we had a Kia Sorento SUV that copped out on us at just 48,000 miles. It took them three months to get it fixed because the engine needed replacing. If it had happened just a few months later the warranty wouldn't have covered the cost and I would have had to spend money for a new engine. By the time our car needs a battery replacement the cost is likely going to be far less than what it is today as technology improves.

And I'm not paying "$15k more" for a Tesla. Not when you compare it to an ICE car that has comparable performance. Teslas are bargains.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I'm guessing you're thinking something like, rich Democrats should voluntarily pay double or triple taxes, otherwise they are hypocrites.
If the rich have found a way to get out of paying the taxes at the rate they should pay now, what makes you think they won't find a way to get out of paying the higher tax rate you legislate upon them? It's no different than gun control or illegal immigration. What good are more laws if you can't/won't enforce the laws that are already on the books? Guns are illegal in New York now. So how did the latest mass shooting suspect manage to get a gun on the subway and unload it on his victims? Well, the police aren't allowed to stop and frisk black men to check for an illegal firearm because that would be considered racial profiling. So exactly what good is more gun control legislation?
Let me just explain one thing. A lot of responsible adults out there are willing to take the hit on something, whether it's taxes or something else, but only if everyone else also must take the hit. And this makes sense. If Maxine Waters paid double taxes, it wouldn't make a difference. However, it everyone in that (alleged) income bracket has to pay, it does make a difference.
That's kind of why nonglobal environmental regulations don't work, isn't it?
Last edited by ajax18 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Here is America's top selling Truck decked out with all the bells and whistles. The Cybertruck is infinitely better and started at $39,000. A top of the line Cybertruck is probably around $70,000 and instead of spending $80 on a tank of gas every week, you're spending only about $10.

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:55 pm
K Graham wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:53 pm
The Cybertruck is now going to be fitted with four electric motors (one for each wheel) giving it similar performance numbers as the S Plaid with a range of over 600 miles per charge.
This is one of the key hurdles for us - range.

Both of our vehicles have around 200K miles on them, but if one of them needs to be replaced any time soon, we’ll need to do so with something that can give significant range through tank size or fuel availability. And there simply isn’t the same sort of charging infrastructure where we drive as may exist in your own more-urban setting.

Next week, I’ll need to check on two projects that are both at least 4 hours driving time away (and with a same-day out and back schedule); both are through areas largely devoid of charging stations along the way, and my schedule won’t allow for any extended time between stops devoted to a slow charge. So, an ICE car is really the only option for this, at the moment.

The other issue is that we’ve always opted for reliable, used cars at reasonable cost. The used car market doesn’t see many choices like that from EV’s yet.

We’d have loved to have been part of the ‘early adopter’ gang, but practically and economically, it doesn’t work out, yet. And for many Americans, the ‘economic’ part of that is still a deal-killer. As example, we like the Rivian’s quirky and handsome look; it would be a very functional replacement for at least one of our decades-old vehicles … but there’s no way that we can even begin to make that price tag work for us.
This true for most people. The company I work for runs a fleet of P/U truck, and foremen and managment drive all over Southern California at any given day. The technology is just not there yet for practical construction fillet use…not to mention trades like concrete, plumbing, electrical etc is critical , and utility beds are a must, and payload is critical.

Could you, if required, afford to re-roof your house, buy all new appliances and pay for new wiring etc. plus buy new electric cars in the span of lets say 8-10 years, or even 20 years? My point is the very most of people just can’t.

Then a lot of folks love their boats, big trucks, and RV’s…they are not want to give them up until technology is practical.

Most folks would have as you wrote…deal killers. I am with you in that I just paid off my house, my cars are all paid for…while I am going to get solar…I don’t want a bunch of payments on cars right now, I’m over nice cars depreciating to nothing, or I don’t want to dip into retirement funds and pay cash…and I have that right to say no.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

what makes you think they won't find a way to get out of paying the higher tax rate you legislate upon them?
if it's too easy to get around, then you're right, it won't work. What makes you think that taxes can't be increased in a way that isn't easy to get around?
So exactly what good is more gun control legislation?
That's kind of why nonglobal environmental regulations don't work, isn't it?
Interesting that taxes don't work at all, environmental regulations don't work at all, gun control doesn't work at all, but bans on abortion are super effective. eh?