How do you feel about BLMs multimillionaire CEO

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

How do you feel about BLM CEO Patrice Cullor's fortune won through the nonprofit BLM

I agree with BLM's cause and gave money to help their cause but I don't agree with this money going to make millionaires out of the founders of this nonprofit social justice organization.
43%
I agree with BLM's cause and gave money to help their cause. I think Patrice Cullor's should be a multimillionaire for the work she's done for BLM. I'm glad my donations helped her purchase multiple million dollar homes in the white southern California suburbs and pocket many more millions in cash.
14%
I don't agree with BLM's premise that there is systemic racism in policing. Blacks have more trouble with law enforcement because they commit more crimes and resist arrest or get violent when they called out on it. I gave no money to their cause nor did I burn down any businesses in their marches. Those who donated money to this cause should have known what kind of people they were dealing with.
43%

Total votes: 7

dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: How do you feel about BLMs multimillionaire CEO

Post by dantana »

Chap wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:34 pm
dantana wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:11 pm
For me, even if she did make her money legit-ly off of her new found celebrity, living a life of conspicuous consumption isn't a very good look for someone who sets themselves up as a crusader for bringing a people out of poverty and oppression.
If you are going to count being wealthy as a reason for doubting someone's bona fides as an advocate for the poor, that would have eliminated quite a few past US politicians who did a lot for the poor and oppressed. I'm not sure that the poor and oppressed would have been delighted by that.
Yes, I agree. My post has some hypocrisy problems. I do stand by the "isn't a very good look" part though.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:28 pm
how about:
I agree with BLM's cause. I think Patrice Cullors made her millions off of individual private business and honest labor, not BLM donations. If anyone believes differently, having recycled a story about fraud from a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times without first having put any effort into verifying the claims, then racism is a strong candidate for a motive.
You also failed to offer any options for those of us who haven't donated to BLM but for reasons other than claims about fraud.
I'd put it up for you if I could edit it. But just a couple questions...

What exactly does Patrice Cullors do for a living that earned her so much money? And how exactly has her lack of white and male privilege still allowed her to make it into the top 5% income bracket in a systemically racist and oppressive country? I don't begrudge what most people honestly earn but when you're entire platform is that these kind of opportunities are not available to people of her gender and ethnic heritage doesn't her own success kind of undercut her entire platform?

Maybe this will help me answer Kulikhan's question

I agree with Make America Great Again's cause. I think Donald Trump made his millions off of individual private business, inheritance, and honest labor, not MAGA donations. If anyone believes differently, having recycled a story about fraud from a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times without first having put any effort into verifying the claims, then partisan political bigotry is a strong candidate for a motive.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Snazzip
Sunbeam

Post by Snazzip »

ajax18 wrote: If anyone believes differently, having recycled a story about fraud from a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times without first having put any effort into verifying the claims, then partisan political bigotry is a strong candidate for a motive.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:31 pm
I'd put it up for you if I could edit it. But just a couple questions...

What exactly does Patrice Cullors do for a living that earned her so much money? And how exactly has her lack of white and male privilege still allowed her to make it into the top 5% income bracket in a systemically racist and oppressive country? I don't begrudge what most people honestly earn but when you're entire platform is that these kind of opportunities are not available to people of her gender and ethnic heritage doesn't her own success kind of undercut her entire platform?
I'll take a stab at it. Think of it this way. You have two people. Person A and person B. They both are about to take a test. Person A was given 60 minutes to study for the test while person B was only given 15 minutes. Person A also has the ability to phone a friend 3 times during the duration of the test. Person B is only able to phone a friend once. Person A is also given a note card on some topics on the test to refer to while taking it. Person B is given a note card, but there is only half the information on their note card than person A's notecard.

I think a logical person would come to the conclusion that if this scenario was magically recreated 100 times with different sets of people, person A will most likely score much higher than person B. I am sure out of those 100 times the test is taken, there might be an occurrence where person B is able to score higher on the test. But we can safely assume that person A will more often than not score higher.

Try to apply this to the real world. Historically, black people have not had the ability to generate wealth (save money, buy property, pass that wealth onto the next generation) in the same way white people have. For the couple of centuries, they were legally restricted from doing so because of slavery and even after their emancipation they faced many legal hurdles that white people did not face. Think of the infamous Jim Crow laws that existed in the southern United States.

If you haven't picked up on it yet, person A is meant to represent someone who comes from a white background, and person B comes from a black background. Person A is able to tap into many resources that their ancestors were able to accumulate over time (inheritance, property passed down to next generation, investments). Historically, black people were not able to accumulate the same amount of wealth.

So to say that there isn't a degree of privilege that exists in the United States because Cullors is able to afford millions of dollars in homes is akin to saying that person B in my little thought experiment faces a fair shot at scoring the same or higher score than person A does. They clearly don't. It also doesn't mean we need to demean white people or take away their accomplishments. We are a very hard working country and should be proud of it. But we should also desire that everyone has a fair shot at the 'American Dream.'
ajax18 wrote:
Maybe this will help me answer Kulikhan's question

I agree with Make America Great Again's cause. I think Donald Trump made his millions off of individual private business, inheritance, and honest labor, not MAGA donations. If anyone believes differently, having recycled a story about fraud from a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times without first having put any effort into verifying the claims, then partisan political bigotry is a strong candidate for a motive.
I am really glad you pointed out the reasons by Donald Trump's success. All of the things you listed that contributed to his sucess, especially inheritance, were things that black people were barred from having access to for at least over a century. I think you would acknowledge that wealth accumulation requires time. Can we agree on that?
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
If anyone believes differently, having recycled a story about fraud from a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times without first having put any effort into verifying the claims, then partisan political bigotry is a strong candidate for a motive.

Does a confirmation of shenanigans from the Trump campaign itself qualify as “a source that is wrong 9 out of 10 times”?

https://kutv.com/amp/news/nation-world/ ... s-of-fraud

See also this story, about where some of those donation dollars have gone …

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexand ... a963e61528
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Kukulkan wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:52 pm
I think you would acknowledge that wealth accumulation requires time. Can we agree on that?

Sometimes it occurs more quickly, for reasons that no one can explain.
- Cushman & Wakefield valued Donald Trump's stake in 40 Wall Street at $220 million in 2012.

- Three years later, the real estate firm said the same stake had more than doubled in value, to $550 million.

- "Good question," a firm lawyer told the AG, when asked to name another building that had doubled in value.
https://www.businessinsider.com/donald- ... 2022-4?amp
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
What exactly does Patrice Cullors do for a living that earned her so much money?
I've already posted information on her income that plausibly covers her home purchases but as always, you're never interested in data that refutes your racist presuppositions.
ajax18 wrote:
And how exactly has her lack of white and male privilege still allowed her to make it into the top 5% income bracket in a systemically racist and oppressive country?
White privilege doesn't mean black people cannot be successful. [deleted, FR 2, RI]
ajax18 wrote:
I don't begrudge what most people honestly earn but when you're entire platform is that these kind of opportunities are not available to people of her gender and ethnic heritage doesn't her own success kind of undercut her entire platform?
That isn't her "platform" let alone her entire platform.

[deleted, FR 2, RI] But her "platform" is Black Lives Matter which is about black people being murdered by cops. It isn't about any of the idiotic straw man creations concocted by you or whatever Right Wing fake news site you're regurgitating.
ajax18 wrote:

Trump inherited his wealth, full stop. Without his privilege as the quintessential trust fund baby, he'd be as broke as all the businesses he tried starting on his own. He inherited not only hundreds of millions in liquidity, but also his father's Real Estate empire, which included the well known name "Trump" and all his daddy's business connections, including an army of lawyers led by a couple who were also hired by gangsters. Trump called himself the king of debt because in reality all his wealth is borrowed wealth. All his properties are losing money and he keeps getting more money from banks overseas, particularly Russian, because American banks will no longer do business with him.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I think you would acknowledge that wealth accumulation requires time. Can we agree on that?
It takes generations to create wealth. And it only takes one person in the family tree to piss it all away.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 am
Which option did you choose Moksha?
I'm upset with any leader taking an organization's money and using it for their own benefit, beyond a specified salary.

I feel furious when I hear of the TV preachers buying themselves multiple jets or making outrageous speculations on the real estate market. Can you imagine buying a 13,000-square-foot building in London for £103,000,000?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 am
Which option did you choose Moksha?
I'm upset with any leader taking an organization's money and using it for their own benefit, beyond a specified salary.

I feel furious when I hear of the TV preachers buying themselves multiple jets or making outrageous speculations on the real estate market. Can you imagine buying a 13,000-square-foot building in London for £103,000,000?
Have you seen The Gemstones?