Joe Biden identifies as a 'Full Professor' so now I'm a Harvard Professor.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Joe Biden identifies as a 'Full Professor' so now I'm a Harvard Professor.

Post by Physics Guy »

I’m a bit surprised by that, but I’d be a lot more surprised if anyone was officially titled Full Professor Smith. Does your place go that far? If not, it might not be a counterexample to my assertion that “Full Professor” is not a rank, and that full is just an adjective.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:12 pm
I’m a bit surprised by that, but I’d be a lot more surprised if anyone was officially titled Full Professor Smith. Does your place go that far? If not, it might not be a counterexample to my assertion that “Full Professor” is not a rank, and that full is just an adjective.
Why is this a problem? The rank of full professor is standard terminology. It is not used as a title, however. There is a difference between the rank "full professor" and the title "professor." There is likewise a rank in the US military of five-star general, but a five-star general is addressed by the title, "general," not, "Hey, five-star general Jones! Yeah, I'm talking to you!"
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

The insignia of the rank “General of the Army” is a ring of five stars, but the rank itself is not “five-star general”. The rank “General” gets four stars, and is often referred to as “four-star general” or “full general” to emphasize that we’re not talking about a mere Lieutenant, Major, or Brigadier General. “Full General” is an unambiguous reference to the rank of “General”, but is not the proper name of the rank. I think of “full Professor” as the same kind of term.

Associate Professors are commonly addressed simply as Professor, but in sufficiently formal or precise contexts you do see “Associate Professor Smith”. I’ve never seen “Full Professor Smith” in such contexts. This seems just like the way a Major General will be called “General Smith”, but will always be “Major General Smith” on official documents, lest (full) General Jones (with four stars) become peeved at the two-star Smith for gettin’ uppity.

Perhaps my understanding of American academic titles is outdated, or perhaps it was always more varied than I thought.

As far as Biden’s status goes, I think I have occasionally seen endowed chairs held at Associate rank, the holder being something like “Cookie Monster Associate Professor of Crumbology”. I don’t believe one uses a full title like that, with no qualification on the Professor rank, unless the holder is indeed a full Professor.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:29 pm
The insignia of the rank “General of the Army” is a ring of five stars, but the rank itself is not “five-star general”. The rank “General” gets four stars, and is often referred to as “four-star general” or “full general” to emphasize that we’re not talking about a mere Lieutenant, Major, or Brigadier General. “Full General” is an unambiguous reference to the rank of “General”, but is not the proper name of the rank. I think of “full Professor” as the same kind of term.
OK, so you point out the difference between the official name of a rank in comparison with its name in common parlance as though one is legitimate and one is not. To get back to the original topic, full professor is a term used in official documents at some American universities. I have heard the term used in discussion of rank and promotion my entire career, and that is reflected in the bylaws of my department.
Associate Professors are commonly addressed simply as Professor, but in sufficiently formal or precise contexts you do see “Associate Professor Smith”. I’ve never seen “Full Professor Smith” in such contexts. This seems just like the way a Major General will be called “General Smith”, but will always be “Major General Smith” on official documents, lest (full) General Jones (with four stars) become peeved at the two-star Smith for gettin’ uppity.

Perhaps my understanding of American academic titles is outdated, or perhaps it was always more varied than I thought.
I was told that it was improper to call anyone but a full professor “professor” because an associate professor is not a “professor.” The professor title is reserved for full professors, in this schema, and associate professors are called “Dr.” Students in the US tend to call any teacher in college or university professor, even if the teacher is working toward a Master’s degree.
As far as Biden’s status goes, I think I have occasionally seen endowed chairs held at Associate rank, the holder being something like “Cookie Monster Associate Professor of Crumbology”. I don’t believe one uses a full title like that, with no qualification on the Professor rank, unless the holder is indeed a full Professor.
Huh. I don’t know. My wife, a law school “full professor,” would refer to such a person as a “professor of practice.” There are professors of practice at law schools. These are people who are hired from outside of academia for their special expertise and experience. Usually they teach, but they can have primarily administrative roles.

In short, I find this video to be stupid garbage. Joe Biden definitely is a mediocrity with an interesting relationship with the truth. He is no great statesman, but, by damn, he is a lot less scary than Donald Trump, and that is what most sane Americans wanted at the very least.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I grew up in a military family, so probably my thinking about academic titles takes the analogy with military ranks a bit too seriously and also carries the pedantry of military stickling over technical terms. Plus I just don't like the sound of "full professor". It makes me think the individual must be overstuffed.

I do know that law and medicine faculties often bring in people with some kind of valuable experience, give them professor titles and get them to hold seminars or something. I expect that in many cases these people really are academically expert on their subjects. Sometimes not; law faculties in particular do often drag in ex-politicians, ostensibly for their insights into the legislative process but I wonder sometimes if it's more just for their celebrity.

Biden may well be such a dubious case. As a non-American I barely even knew his name until he became President. It still seems to me, though, that if a genuine university gave him the title of Professor then he is technically correct to call himself a full Professor. If it's really kind of bogus, that's on the university in question, not on Biden.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:58 pm
"Full professor" isn't an academic rank, any more than "full general" or "full colonel" are military ranks.
If this is Atlantic Mike, then he is entitled to be full of it. As a matter of fact, it would take a determined moderator with a plunger to keep him from overflowing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here’s the Snopes’ breakdown:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden ... nsylvania/

As a newly minted “common sense” Conservative, I give SLEEPY JOE’s fib a 1 out of 5 stars. The only legitimate degree an American could earn these days is a degree in BUSINESS from TRUMP (2024!) university. Unfortunately it’s been shut down by the DEEP STATE and LIBERALS. :(

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:41 pm
If this is Atlantic Mike ...
It is indeed the great I AM himself. Of that there can be no doubt.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

While the Republicans are still held in thrall to Trump (and they care little for accuracy or truth), it would behoove the Democrats to find a younger candidate.

Speaking of which, I am dubious that free and impartial elections can occur in some red states with their new balloting laws. Sounds like Texas and Florida will have elections similar to Russia or possibly North Korea.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It seems to me that if Biden was ever a professor, he was a full professor. He hasn't had any limbs amputated, has he? He's never gone hungry, has he?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.