Kotkin on Authoritarianism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Kotkin on Authoritarianism

Post by Gadianton »

My favorite Russia commentator so far, out of all those who have something to say about Russia that YouTube's algorithm recommends to me, is Steven Kotkin. Kotkin is a historian who has spent his entire career at Princeton, and probably most notable for his three-volume biography of Stalin. I don't buy books very often, but he got my curiosity up so I bought the first volume of that series (volume 3 is still forthcoming). He's a fellow at the Hoover Institute and clearly libertarian / conservative leaning even though he tries really hard to paint himself as a bystander. He's in high demand from Conservative groups like Hoover and Cato, but I watched one appearance where he discussed his book with the (quite popular) unhinged left-wing postmodernist Slavoj Zizek. I'd say if you ever needed to see an example that shows the virtues of traditional research over postmodern-style theorizing, that's a must-see as opposed to Zizek's "debate" with Jordan Peterson.

Anyway, Kotkin is part Eurasian historian, part geopolitical theorist, and part authoritarian theorist. He's really interested in questions such as, what actually does make America great, if anything.

here's an example of a lecture on authoritarianism. He put a lot of context to what authoritarianism is that I've been missing. He introduces the topic by way of the first theorist on the subject, Juan Linz, who put forth a 4-point model in 1963. Kotkin counters with his own 5-point model that's a loose approximation. I haven't exactly taken notes, but I think I've got the basic framework right:

1) Aristocracy vs. Authoritarianism. Aristocracy is the rule of the few in the name of the few, where authoritarianism is rule of the few in the name in the many (for all you populist suckers out there). Authoritarianism is a 20th century + thing.

2) Authoritarian regimes tend to be oil economies. It's easy, it's lucrative, and you don't need your people, the state just needs the oil companies.

3) control of information and jails. You've got to keep your people in line, but there's a split here between authoritarian regimes that are totalitarian, and those that aren't. Totalitarian regimes must be excessively brutal to maintain control, and doing so is quite costly.

4) the party narrative. Regimes that are authoritarian without being totalitarian have the narrative nailed down. The story about the party, how the party has been wronged, how the party is justified, and so on. You can avoid the costs of being draconian (and totalitarian) if you have a great story. This where many regimes end up that are democracies helmed by an authoritarian leader.

5) corrosive / conducive. How does the outside world respond to the regime? corrosive (sanctions) vs. conducive (we buy their oil and gas).

this one is a little long and I watched it over several days. This regards Putin and Tump, it's a lecture to the William F. Buckley club at Yale and again, conservative oriented. So you can see his thoughts about Putin, Trump, and Russia in 2017 before Trump really got going, and before Putin tried to sack Ukraine.

You have to wonder about kids these days. Yale is like that hardest school to get into and here is a student suggesting that the US partner with Russia on the basis of shared Christian values and anti-Islam bias. He had listened to a speech by Steve Bannon at the Vatican, and thought it was a great idea. That's at ~minute 35.
Morley
God

Re: Kotkin on Authoritarianism

Post by Morley »

Thanks for this, Dean. Kotkin is new and interesting to me.

Here's a transcript of David Remnick's 14 March 2022 interview with him from The New Yorker, if anyone is interested.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/polit ... of-ukraine

Politics and More Podcast

Stephen Kotkin: Don’t Blame the West for Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine

With David Remnick

March 14, 2022

David Remnick:
This is the Politics and More Podcast. I'm David Remnick. It's impossible to understand the destruction and slaughter that Vladimir Putin is unleashing in Ukraine without understanding his most basic conviction that the breakup of the Soviet Empire was a catastrophe that Russia has yet to recover from. No one I know understands this history more intimately than Stephen Kotkin. Kotkin is a professor of history and international affairs at Princeton University. And he's a research scholar at the Hoover Institution at Stanford. He's written two volumes so far on the life of Stalin with one more to come, as well as books on the Soviet Union in its last years. We've been hearing from voices both from the past and the present telling us that the reason for what has happened is, as George Kenan said, the great blunder of eastward expansion of NATO, a modern [realistist 00:01:00] story, like John Mearsheimer tells us that a great deal of the blame for what we're witnessing now must go to the United States. So I thought we'd begin by your analysis of that argument.

Stephen Kotkin:
I have only the greatest respect for George Kenan, whom I knew. John Mearsheimer is a giant of a scholar, but I respectfully disagree. The problem with their argument is that it assumes that had NATO not expanded Russia wouldn't be exactly the same, or very likely close to what it is today. What we have today in Russia is not some deviation from a historical pattern. Way before NATO existed in the 19th century, Russia looked like this. It had an autocrat, it had repression, it had militarism. It had suspicion of foreigners and the West. This is a Russia we know, and it's not a Russia that arrived yesterday or arrived in the 1990s. It's not a response to actions of the West. There are internal processes in Russia that account for where we are today. I would even go farther. I would say that NATO expansion has put us in a better place to deal with this historical pattern in Russia that we're seeing again today. George Kenan was the greatest Russia expert who ever lived, but I just don't think blaming the West is the right analysis for where we are today.

David Remnick:
When you talk about the internal dynamics of Russia, historically, it reminds me of a piece that you wrote and was published in Foreign Affairs six years ago, and it began like this, for half a millennium , Russian foreign policy has been characterized by soaring ambitions that have exceeded the country's capabilities, beginning with the reign of Ivan the Terrible in the 16th century, Russia managed to expand at an average rate of 50 square miles per day for hundreds of years, eventually covering one sixth of the Earth's land mass. And you go on to describe three fleeting moments of remarkable Russian ascendancy during Peter, the great, and then Alexander I victory over Napoleon. And then, of course, Stalin's victory over Adolf Hitler. And then say these high water marks aside, Russia has almost always been a relatively weak, great power. So, if you could expand on that and talk about how the internal dynamics of Russia have gone on to describe it both historically and in the present day under Putin, that would be, I think, very helpful.

Stephen Kotkin:
So with Russia, what you've got is a remarkable civilization. You know it, you know it in the arts, in music, in literature, in dance, in film, in science, it's just the de-profound remarkable place, a whole civilization more than just a country. Its problem has always been not that sense of self, not that sense of identity, but the fact that it's in a struggle to live up to this aspiration that it has for itself, which it can't because the West has always been more powerful. Russia is a great power, but not the great power, except for those few moments in history that you just enumerated. And so in trying to match the West, or at least manage the differential between Russia and the West, they resort to coercion, they use a very heavy state centric approach to try to beat the country forward and upwards. And that works for a time ostensibly, very superficially it works, and Russia has a spurt of economic growth and it builds up its military. And then, of course, it hits a wall.
It then has a period, a long period of stagnation where the problem gets worse. The worst part of this dynamic in Russian history is the conflation of the Russian state with some personal ruler. So instead of getting the long state that they want to manage the gulf with the west, they instead get a personalist regime, they get a dictatorship, which usually becomes a despotism. So Putin is what he is, he's ruling in Russia. And he's got these circumstances, almost the syndrome, where geopolitics is trying to make up for a power differential that it can't make up for.

David Remnick:
Well, let's describe Putin and Putinism. What kind of regime is it? It's not exactly the same as Stalinism. It's certainly not the same as Xi Jinping, or the regime in Iran. What are its special characteristics and why would those special characteristics lead it to want to invade? Or why would Putin want to invade Ukraine? Which seems at least from this distance, singularly stupid.

Stephen Kotkin:
Yes. While war usually is a miscalculation. It's based upon assumptions that don't pan out, things that you believed to be true, or wanted to be true, but let's back up for a second. So, of course, this isn't the same regime as Stalin. Of course, there's been tremendous change. The shock is that so much has changed, and yet we're this pattern that they can't really escape from where you have an autocrat, or even now a despot making decisions completely by himself. Does he get input from others, perhaps? Do they bring him information he doesn't want to hear? That seems unlikely. Does he think he knows better than everybody else? That seems highly likely. So he believed, it seems, that Ukraine was not a real country. He believed that the Ukrainian people were not a real people, that they were one people with the Russians. He believed that the Ukrainian government was a pushover.
He believed what he was likely told, or wanted to believe about his own military, that it had been modernized, to the point where it could organize not a military invasion, but a lightning coup to take Kyiv in one, two, four, five days, and either install a puppet government or force the current government and president to sign some paperwork. One other example we might allude to is what happened in Afghanistan in 1979, very, very similar situation in some ways. The Soviet Union did not invade Afghanistan. It did a coup in Afghanistan. It sent special forces into the capital of Kabul. It murdered the Afghan leadership and it installed a puppet, Babrak Karmal. But of course they decided they might need some security in Afghanistan for the new regime. And so they sent in all sorts of regimens, army regimens to provide security. And they ended up with an insurgency against their rule. And they ended up with a 10 year war that they lost.
And so we have here the assumption that it could be a successful version of that, and it wasn't, and it turned out the Ukrainian people are brave and they're willing to resist and die for their country. And it turned out that the television president Zelenskyy who had a 25% approval rating before the war, which was fully deserved, because he couldn't govern. Now he has a 91% approval rating, but the biggest surprise, of course, was the West. All the nonsense about how the West is decadent. The West is over. The West is in decline. It's a multi-polar world, the rise of China, et cetera, et cetera. All of that turned out to be bunk. The courage of the Ukrainian people and the bravery and smarts of the Ukrainian government and its president, Zelenskyy, galvanized the West to remember who it was.

David Remnick:
Let's discuss the nature of the regime, because it seems to me that the Putin regime changed somewhat. What actually is the nature of the regime and the people who are loyal to it and the people who are important in it?

Stephen Kotkin:
So it's a military police dictatorship. It, in addition, has a brilliant coterie of people who run macroeconomics. And so, for example, your central bank, your finance ministry are all on the highest professional level. And that's why Russia had this fortress, this macroeconomic fortress, these foreign currency reserves, the rainy day fund, reasonable inflation. For the macroeconomic stability, for the economic growth, you need decent relations with the West, but for the military security part of the regime, which is the dominant part, the West is your enemy. The West is trying to undermine you. It's trying to overthrow your regime in some type of so-called color revolution. And so what happens, the balance of those groups shifted more in favor of the military security. Let's call it the thuggish part of the regime. And, of course, that's where Putin himself comes from. And so the regime became more and more corrupt, less and less sophisticated, less and less trustworthy, less and less popular, it hollowed out. But that's what happens with dictatorships. Once again, they hollow themselves out.

David Remnick:
But such a regime, it seems to me would care above all, about wealth, about the high life, about power. Why would they care about Ukraine?

Stephen Kotkin:
It's not clear that they do. We're talking about one person here. So this is the thing about authoritarian regimes. They're terrible at everything. They can't feed their people. They can't provide security for their people. They can't educate their people, but they only have to be good at one thing to survive, the suppression of alternatives. If they can force all opposition into exile or prison, they can survive no matter how incompetent, no matter how corrupt, no matter how terrible they are. If money just gushes out of the ground in the form of hydrocarbons or diamonds or other minerals, the oppressors can emancipate themselves from the oppressed. The oppressors can say, we don't need you. We don't need your taxes. We don't need you to vote. We don't rely on you for anything because we have oil and gas, palladium and titanium and fill in the blank. All the minerals that they have, that they extract, which is all just cash flow.

David Remnick:
Now, the West has decided, for obvious reasons, not only not to go to war with Russia, but not to have a no-fly zone for all the reasons we know. And the greatest exertion it showed is in economic sanctions, which in fact, have proved to be more comprehensive and more powerful than maybe people had anticipated some weeks ago. But in the scheme that you are sketching out, it seems to me that at least for a good while the people these are most aimed at will be able to absorb sanctions. Would you think I'm wrong?

Stephen Kotkin:
Oh yes. The financial sanctions are very impressive, but they'll take a while to affect the calculus of those people around Putin and Putin himself. The biggest sanctions and the most important sanctions are always technology transfer. It's always starving them of the high tech. So if you deny them over time through the commerce department, American made software and American made equipment in products, you can hurt this regime and create a technology desert. And the Chinese cannot come in and substitute because they need that same technology that we're denying to the Russians. And so that's the biggest [crosstalk 00:14:00].

David Remnick:
Yeah. But in the meantime, as we saw in Grozny in 99, 2000, as we saw in Aleppo, Russia is perfectly willing, if precision doesn't work, they're perfectly happy to use decimation. And that is what we're seeing in Kharkiv, we've seen it in other parts of Ukraine. And to my mind, it's only just begun potentially.

Stephen Kotkin:
Russia has a lot of weapons that they haven't used yet, but there are a couple of factors here. First of all, Ukraine is winning this war only on Twitter, on the battlefield they're not winning this war. Russia is advancing very well. What's failed was the attempt to take Kiev in a lightning advance, but otherwise their war is unfolding well. Moreover, the largest and most important consideration is that Russia cannot successfully occupy Ukraine. They do not have the scale of forces. They do not have the number of administrators. And they do not have the cooperation of the population. They don't even have a quisling yet. We're waiting for Viktor Yanukovych to reappear. Viktor Yanukovych was the duly elected president in 2010, in free and fair elections, who was unbelievably corrupt and was chased out of power by protests and he fled to Russia and Yanukovych is still in Russia, but let's think about him.
He's a psychologically unimpressive character. He was incompetent. Could he actually have the willpower? Would he even agree to run Ukraine on behalf of Russia? And if not him, who else? And moreover, think about all those Ukrainians who would continue to resist. And if you're an administrator or a military officer in occupied Ukraine, and you order a cup of tea, you're going to drink that cup of tea? You want to turn the ignition on in your car, you're going to turn that ignition on? You're going to turn the light switch on in your office? And all it takes is a handful of them being assassinated to unsettle the whole occupation.

David Remnick:
Finally, you've been very quick to give credit where credit is due to the Biden administration for reading out its intelligence about the coming invasion, for sanctions and for a mature response to what's happening. What, if anything, have they gotten wrong in this?

Stephen Kotkin:
They've done much better than we anticipated based upon what we saw in Afghanistan withdrawal, in the [Alkis 00:16:50] rollout, the rollout of the deal to sell nuclear sub-Marines to the Australians, but they've learned from their mistakes. That's the thing about the United States and the West. We have corrective mechanisms. We have a political system that punishes mistakes. We have strong institutions, we have powerful and free media. And so administrations that perform badly can learn and get better, which is not the case in Russia. And it's an advantage we can't forget. The problem now, David, is not that the Biden administration made mistakes. It's that it's really hard to figure out how to deescalate.
We keep raising the stakes with more and more sanctions and cancellations, because that's where the pressure is on our side to "do something," because the Ukrainians are dying on television every day. But the more you corner, the more there's nothing to lose for Putin, the more he can raise the stakes. We need a deescalation from the maximalist spiral, and we need a little bit of luck and fortune here, perhaps in Moscow, perhaps in Helsinki or Jerusalem, perhaps in Beijing, but certainly in Kyiv.

David Remnick:
Steph Kotkin, I'm very grateful to you. Thank you.

Stephen Kotkin:
Thank you.

David Remnick:
Stephen Kotkin is a professor of history and international affairs at Princeton University. This was an edited version of my conversation with him and you can read much more and also watch the video at Newyorker.com.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

This interview was six weeks ago. The Russian army may well still eventually overrun much of Ukraine, but it doesn't look now as though they have really been "advancing very well" all this time.

Otherwise Kotkin seems insightful.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing this.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

From the book: So, if Stalin were to register on this forum as his 20-year-old self, he'd call himself "Koba", the "avenger of injustice". He was a mama's boy and a seminary dropout. He was poor, but it's just that mom was able to get him some chances he otherwise wouldn't have had. He was a very good student and quite idealistic; an avid reader. That political idealism clashed with seminary. He'd go around agitating workers, helping the underground presses, and so on. He sounds a lot like a troll, in today's terms, going from forum to forum bullying for the "regular guy" and making enemies.
Stalin(book) wrote:"He spoke without an orator's refinement," a hostile fellow Georgian later recalled. "His words were imbued with power, determination. He spoke with sarcasm, irony, hammering away with crude severities", but then, "apologized, explaining that he was speaking the language of the proletariat who were not taught subtle manners or aristocratic eloquence."
He was a man of the truck convoy, eh Binger?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bumping since it is relevant. I highly recommend the Stanford discussion as being worth the 1-1/2 to 2 hours of time. I believe I had listened to all the links shared in the thread and viewed that one as having the most memorable value. The five policy dimensions of authoritarian regimes is alone worth the price of admission, in my opinion.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 pm
Bumping since it is relevant. I highly recommend the Stanford discussion as being worth the 1-1/2 to 2 hours of time. I believe I had listened to all the links shared in the thread and viewed that one as having the most memorable value. The five policy dimensions of authoritarian regimes is alone worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

Thanks, honor. I missed this thread when it was first posted, so it’s a nice surprise for me.