My pronoun is 'Your Majesty',

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

My pronoun is 'Your Majesty',

Post by High Spy »

Perfect for aspiring Davidic Type Servants. :lol:
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Some Schmo
God

Re: My pronoun is 'Your Majesty',

Post by Some Schmo »

I've given this topic a lot of thought lately, and here is where I've landed (at least for now). I think it's a mistake to think of this as a gender issue, rather than a communication issue.

It is easy for me to recognize that people think of themselves in unique ways, and I have no problem with people expressing those thoughts. I understand that the way people think of their own gender and sexuality in general is varied and complex. I really understand people wanting to be accepted for exactly who they are. All of that stuff has, over time, become a no-brainer.

The problem with expecting people to use a particular pronoun for your unique way of thinking of yourself is that the people I'm talking to, in my own private conversations, may not clearly understand what I am saying. After all, when I speak, I'm conveying my perception of things. I'm communicating my take, not anyone else's.

What I find particularly weird about this whole phenomenon is that we're talking about third-person pronouns. Those are the pronouns you use when you're talking about someone not present, so the referenced folks won't hear people use them. How does that make a difference to them? Unless you're talking about someone in front of them as though they aren't there, they won't hear it. So what's worse, no acknowledgement of how you see your own gender, or no acknowledgement that you're even there?

I think the biggest elephant in the room, however, is the question, how is everyone to know which pronoun you prefer? Unless you start walking around with a sign advertising your pronoun, how are we to know?

And there's something extremely self-centered about it all as well. I mean, I'd love to imagine all kinds of things about who I am, like as a good golfer, or a good piano player, and as harmless as that kind of rumination is, asking others to start referring to me as Tiger when I'm not there is a crazy request.

Unless the language is naturally adopted by society at large, I'm going to stick with trying to be as clear with my communication as possible. I don't consider that disrespectful toward people with this request. I find succumbing to it disrespectful of clear communication, and subsequently, humanity at large. If it organically changes over the years, however (and I'm not sure how), I will go with it, because at that point, sticking with the old usage would make it unclear.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lots of good thoughts there, Schmo.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think the biggest elephant in the room, however, is the question, how is everyone to know which pronoun you prefer? Unless you start walking around with a sign advertising your pronoun, how are we to know?
The sign is an option. I've been cc'd on emails by an individual in a related work organization who has a sig-line talking about pronouns, including their pronoun, and asking which pronouns we prefer to use for ourselves? "hey! let's get to know each other by talking about our pronouns!"

I've adapted to the potential work hazard by avoiding using pronouns altogether, and just use the person's name. Funny enough, I started doing this long before it was a political thing. For years, its been a thing in the corporate world to have everyone connected by these mega-chat applications. If you're in a global org, then you might be regularly reaching out to people you don't know anywhere on the planet, and I have no idea sometimes which is the first or last name and if it's really long, do I risk an abbreviation, let alone if it's a man or woman's name, and chatting via keyboard for a few lines doesn't help answer these questions. So I just refer to that person by that person's name even to others because I really have no idea.

This issue comes up now in the yearly pc training, and according to the world experts in the HR department, if you aren't sure then you should ask the person what pronouns to use when referring to them. So, take a screenshot, and then do what your company handbook says and you never have to worry, if it comes to that.

In a work situation, why wouldn't you want to refer to the person in the way they wish to be referred to? Chances are, if you're reaching out to that person for something, you need their help with something, and they are more likely to help you if you don't offend them. If "your majesty" would cut turnaround time on a request by 20% with someone, I'd have no problem using it.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:37 pm
In a work situation, why wouldn't you want to refer to the person in the way they wish to be referred to? Chances are, if you're reaching out to that person for something, you need their help with something, and they are more likely to help you if you don't offend them. If "your majesty" would cut turnaround time on a request by 20% with someone, I'd have no problem using it.
Yeah, if I'm aware of what a person wants to be called, I would certainly use it if I had a reason to, given any conversation. The only time I can think of in conversation when you respectfully use third-person pronouns in front of the people you're referring to is when you're telling others a story about them (perhaps to honor or compliment them), and if that's respectful, your word usage will be respectful (and you're telling the story because, well, you know about that person). I'm not going to go out of my way to alienate someone. And of course, it should go without saying that you shouldn't mistreat someone for making this kind of request, and certainly not for the way they view their gender/sexuality.

My comments were more about the general expectation itself.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Like Dean Robbers, I avoid using third person pronouns anymore. I think that’s the most economical solution.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

it's a weird situation for sure, and I'm more interested in avoiding an issue for myself than I am helping anyone's self-esteem, generally speaking.

For me, the weirdest thing about it is that the gospel of CNN gravitates towards gender neutrality, right? I have less experience with trans here, my only direct experience is a couple of work situations and one friend whose teenager identifies as a 'he' --- in that situation the child is more asexual but identified as 'he' for whatever reason, as of several years ago. But the other two: bio male / gender female, are all about everything CNN is against in terms of gender roles. They are hyper-sexual "she". She's that wear ultra-high heels, carry a purse, walk with a swagger, and would absolutely relish a sincere catcall. There is no problem with the 1950's view of things, that might even be great, in fact, but they are Barbie not Ken.

To each there own, for me, but, there is a curve ball here and to say it's only the rigidity of Christian norms that's holding society back from everyone accepting everyone for who they are is hardly the case, and society has a whole lot to figure out still.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:48 pm
it's a weird situation for sure, and I'm more interested in avoiding an issue for myself than I am helping anyone's self-esteem, generally speaking.

For me, the weirdest thing about it is that the gospel of CNN gravitates towards gender neutrality, right? I have less experience with trans here, my only direct experience is a couple of work situations and one friend whose teenager identifies as a 'he' --- in that situation the child is more asexual but identified as 'he' for whatever reason, as of several years ago. But the other two: bio male / gender female, are all about everything CNN is against in terms of gender roles. They are hyper-sexual "she". She's that wear ultra-high heels, carry a purse, walk with a swagger, and would absolutely relish a sincere catcall. There is no problem with the 1950's view of things, that might even be great, in fact, but they are Barbie not Ken.

To each there own, for me, but, there is a curve ball here and to say it's only the rigidity of Christian norms that's holding society back from everyone accepting everyone for who they are is hardly the case, and society has a whole lot to figure out still.
Speaking of CNN, I recently read this expose on Janelle Monae where she came out as non-binary, and as SS noted I was disoriented by their use of the third-person pronoun:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/22/entertai ... index.html
(CNN)Janelle Monáe, the Grammy-nominated performer, actor and author, has confirmed that they identify as nonbinary in interviews tied to their new book.

"I'm nonbinary," Monáe said in an appearance this week on "Red Table Talk," the Facebook series co-hosted by Jada Pinkett Smith. "So I don't see myself as a woman, solely. I feel all of my energy ... I feel like God is so much bigger than the 'he' or the 'she,' and if I am God, I am everything."

The "Tightrope" singer said they use the pronouns they/them and she/her, in a conversation with the Los Angeles Times this week promoting their book, "The Memory Librarian: And Other Stories of Dirty Computer."

Monáe has previously confirmed that they identify as pansexual, which means they're attracted to people regardless of gender or sex.
Weirdly, the journalist seems to have lost the narrative a bit later in the article:
Monáe, whose musical and visual work often references Afrofuturism, has for years eschewed binary thinking. In a 2020 interview with Variety, Monáe said she "always tried to get rid of ... any labels and ... show love to everyone who continues to live outside of the binary."
I sometimes wonder if if the popular obsession with personal identity, on the Left mainly, is due to the Internet being somewhat overwhelming with regard to the sheer amount of people and information a person’s brain is exposed to. Perhaps it’s their way of feeling in control in a loud and diminuizing world.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I think it is increasingly difficult to tell what is up with gender claims, and thus I find it an irksome drudgery to spend my time on. Especially where celebrities are concerned, I suspect there is a faddish performative narcissism involved that now has the political power to demand compliance with what may simply boil down to someone’s whimsical fantasy.

Then there are authentic people who sincerely feel like they were born with the wrong equipment. These are the people I feel bound to honor by doing as they ask and not making them suffer the further harm of being misgendered on top of everything else they have gone through.

But the precious artistes who “bravely” do whatever the hell they want and turn on a dime to inflict their latest whim on us all can go screw themselves.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 pm
Perfect for aspiring Davidic Type Servants. :lol:
What the Hell are "aspiring Davidic Type Servants," and how is the title (not pronoun) "Your Majesty" applicable to them?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024