Word replacement on the board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
God

Re: Word replacement on the board

Post by Xenophon »

Chap wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:03 pm
This still happens? Long ago the British town of Scunthorpe decided that it should have a web page.

It took them a while before they worked out why their efforts to set one up ran into apparently insuperable obstacles, and longer to persuade the powers that be to let them appear online.
Good, I'd hate for my children to be subjected to any use of "thorpe". In this God-fearing house we call them villages or hamlets.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:34 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:03 pm
This still happens? Long ago the British town of Scunthorpe decided that it should have a web page.

It took them a while before they worked out why their efforts to set one up ran into apparently insuperable obstacles, and longer to persuade the powers that be to let them appear online.
Good, I'd hate for my children to be subjected to any use of "thorpe". In this God-fearing house we call them villages or hamlets.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:29 am
msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 pm
Maybe a milder version of the word could be substituted. in my opinion, if you're quoting someone, the word should not be replaced.
Your two sentences contradict each other. Please pick one.
Just when I had gotten over this 😋
I guess I should choose my battles more wisely.
Well what prompted my OP was sending a PM quoting someone who used the word f’ing and it was replaced with damned.
Do I have to pick only one? I suppose it doesn't really matter since I shouldn't be using that word anyway.
If I had to pick one, I'd say use the actual word when quoting someone, but I have no idea what all you may go through as an admin or moderator if this were the case. I'm just going to back down and accept things the way they are.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7