Word replacement on the board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Word replacement on the board

Post by msnobody »

Can we get a list of words that will automatically be replaced and what the replacement word is when we type them into a post or private message? If we put quotation marks around the word that is replaced, will it still replace the word? Are words only changed in certain forums? You've got some --splaining to do. :P
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Word replacement on the board

Post by High Spy »

Next thing ya know: Try and type "HECK" and it gets replaced with "HELL" in this God Forsaken & Fallen World Type Place. :lol:

Fallen, but not freakish. :mrgreen: dbnp

Edit: There, fixed it, if the laughing guy isn't enough clue it's a joke.
Last edited by High Spy on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:26 am
Can we get a list of words that will automatically be replaced and what the replacement word is when we type them into a post or private message? If we put quotation marks around the word that is replaced, will it still replace the word? Are words only changed in certain forums? You've got some --splaining to do. :P
No.

If we did that, then everyone would be posting walls of text containing variants of the swear words that don't have a correction yet.
Try and type "HECK" and it gets replaced with "HELL" in this God Forsaken & Fallen World Type Place.
No it doesn't. Please be truthful and do not mislead.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 am
msnobody wrote:
No.

If we did that, then everyone would be posting walls of text containing variants of the swear words that don't have a correction yet.
Try and type "HECK" and it gets replaced with "HELL" in this God Forsaken & Fallen World Type Place.
Edited to bake painfully obvious the truth of the situation.

Maybe that's part of the suffering in the lower kingdoms, is that you can no longer say heck, but are forced to say hell. :lol:

Can you say, loss of free agency :?:

Hell, but not heck. :mrgreen: dbnp

Choose the 🥩
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
msnobody wrote:
No.

I have mixed feeling about this censorship. The replacement words don't convey the same meaning as the intended word. I find it a bit frustrating. Maybe a milder version of the word could be substituted. in my opinion, if you're quoting someone, the word should not be replaced. I suppose, however, that I don't have the ability to see the big picture.

It reminds me of the software package that is used at work. We ask patients questions from clinical reminder templates, and the text that the software places in the actual clinic note is worded differently than the questions we ask and the answers provided. I must say, however, if we quote the patients, it puts those swear words in the note just like they are typed.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:

No.

I have mixed feeling about this censorship. The replacement words don't convey the same meaning as the intended word. I find it a bit frustrating. Maybe a milder version of the word could be substituted. in my opinion, if you're quoting someone, the word should not be replaced. I suppose, however, that I don't have the ability to see the big picture.

It reminds me of the software package that is used at work. We ask patients questions from clinical reminder templates, and the text that the software places in the actual clinic note is worded differently than the questions we ask and the answers provided. I must say, however, if we quote the patients, it puts those swear words in the note just like they are typed.
What about when you’re quoted, minus laughing guy as happened above?

Common practice is to use ellipses when posting an excerpt.

Oh well, but not a vertical shaft. :mrgreen: dbnp

Choose the 🥩
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I see I must submit (the dreaded S word). It is in my nature to want to be in control.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 pm
Maybe a milder version of the word could be substituted. in my opinion, if you're quoting someone, the word should not be replaced.
Your two sentences contradict each other. Please pick one.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

If you would like you can also disable the replacement list for your eyes via the user control panel:
  1. Select the user control panel from your avatar towards the top right of your screen
  2. Select the "Board Preferences" tab
  3. Select the "Edit display options" sub menu
  4. Change the "Enable word censor" option to "No" from the radial menu
These changes are in display only and don't actually apply to the edited words. For instance when we go to moderate a post will still see the original typed text. This also means that a poster with the censor enabled will not see your "intended" words, they would need to disable the censor as well. Note that doing this will cause you to be subjected to occasional vulgarity depending on your forum and should be done so knowing that moderators primarily rely on the filter to handle language abuse, not manual editing. Proceed at your own risk ;) .

Removing the word censor can also fix some of the occasional broken links we see. When links are posted in their raw format the filter will occasionally change text within the linking causing some strange interactions (some famous examples include John Dehlin and WS in links being changed to John Dehlin and William Schryver, respectively).
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:46 pm
Removing the word censor can also fix some of the occasional broken links we see.
This still happens? Long ago the British town of Scunthorpe decided that it should have a web page.

It took them a while before they worked out why their efforts to set one up ran into apparently insuperable obstacles, and longer to persuade the powers that be to let them appear online.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.