Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by Kukulkan »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:00 am
I have to look for the study I read about people in low-income households, but I'll find it.

For now here is one reference

"For some that could be as early as age 18 or as late as age 30. But the average is around 25 years of age."
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/brain-myths
I don't think this helps you. We live in a world of averages. We determine many things off of averages. I fully acknowledge that there are people who will develop early and late. But for the sake of discussing this issue, it makes it a lot easier if we discuss based on averages because that is what most people are dealing with. It doesn't make sense to argue based on the rare person who develops abnormally.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:00 am
Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:57 am

I would argue that the science differs from what you are saying. Here are some sources. Do you have some sources that back up your claim that I could read? I am open to changing my stance if you can provide evidence. I would be highly surprised to see that low income people have an accelerated development of their pre-frontal cortex. That would be quite amazing.
I have to look for the study I read about people in low-income households, but I'll find it.

"For some that could be as early as age 18 or as late as age 30. But the average is around 25 years of age."
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/brain-myths
That literally doesn’t back up your claim of low-incoming households and maturation rates. -_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:07 am

That literally doesn’t back up your claim of low-incoming households and maturation rates. -_-

- Doc
You didn't read "I have to look for the study I read about people in low-income households, but I'll find it. "

I'll give it to you on Saturday.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:10 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
You didn't read "I have to look for the study I read about people in low-income households, but I'll find it. "

I'll give it to you on Saturday.
You said:

You then referenced a webpage that had nothing to do with your claim. Try slowing down a bit before googling and composing your thoughts. This isn’t a race.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 am
Try slowing down a bit before googling and composing your thoughts. This isn’t a race.
I have to access some papers behind a paywall, I'll access them tomorrow.

But I will give you the reference, be patient.

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 am
You then referenced a webpage that had nothing to do with your claim.
I said many things.
Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:57 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:48 am
On average. For many it is around 30. It is around 19 for people in low-income households. We are all different.
Do you have some sources that back up your claim that I could read?
Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:02 am
It doesn't make sense to argue based on the rare person who develops abnormally.
18 is not rare, and it wouldn't be in low-income households. I'll give you the references tomorrow.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by Res Ipsa »

The article itself suggests three explanations that I think are consistent with the research published by South & Lei: lower participation in the labor force, men living longer with their parents, and technology, specifically video games. All of those sound plausible.

What the chart doesn’t support is the conclusion that the 18-30 year old women aren’t having sex with 18-30 year old men. We’d need more information to reach that conclusion. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. Assume a group of 18-30 year olds, ten men and ten women. Let’s say that none of the men report no sex in the last year, but only one woman reports no sex in the last year. Now assume that the one guy who said he had sex within the last year actually had sex with each of the nine women in his age group. Given The question asked that formed the basis of the chart, 90% of the men reported no sex in the last year but only 10% of the women. Yet, all of the sex was between people in the 18-30 age group.

The missing information is the average number of partners. Without that, we can’t conclude anything about whether the women were having sex with men over 30.

So, I think there are likely several factors that resulted in the
divergence in numbers. To reach the conclusion you’ve argued for, I think we’d need to have more data, including changes in the age differentials between people having sex over time.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Deleted
Last edited by IHAQ on Tue May 03, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Deleted
Last edited by IHAQ on Tue May 03, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:37 am
Children in low income households tend to suffer from poorer nutrition during their formative years than those in higher income households. Nutrition is the biggest environmental factor in brain development. So brains developing faster in low income households seems unlikely, but I look forward to seeing the report you’ve promised.
Interesting. So I guess eating a lot of meat would accelerate brain development?

Here are the reports

"the timing of maturation is contextually plastic, socially mediated, and accelerated by intrafamilial stress"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1935336/

"Stress in early childhood leads to faster maturation of certain brain regions during adolescence...it also prevents the brain from adjusting to the current environment in a flexible way. In other words, the brain become "mature" too soon.'"
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094830.htm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Better?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:02 am
"Stress in early childhood leads to faster maturation of certain brain regions during adolescence...it also prevents the brain from adjusting to the current environment in a flexible way. In other words, the brain become "mature" too soon.'"
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094830.htm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Better?
Uh. No. I’m not sure you’re quite understanding what you’re reading, especially the terms being used. It might be helpful if you re-read the abstract (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094830.htm) and note the full story linked as a journal reference here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-27439-5

This was our exchange:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 am
People in low-income households do tend to grow up much faster.
So if people in low-income households tend to grow up much faster, can you please show us the evidence? Do you have the statistics to prove it?

- Doc
The abstract you provided studied 37 people. That’s an extremely small pool from which to draw broad conclusions. Secondly, from my reading, perhaps I missed it, neither the abstract nor the full story mention the income or economic status of the study’s participants. Finally, you didn’t provide statistics.

Additionally, I’m not sure you’re understanding the use of the term ‘mature’ in the study’s context versus ‘mature’ or ‘grown up’ in your context. If anything, the sources you provided undermines your points, because high stress environments, according to the researches, produces more anti-social and psychotic types, which I wouldn’t consider to be ‘grown up’. That’s fairly regressed.

eta: You could probably get the gist of the study by clicking on the link above and scrolling down to Discussion and then Conclusion.
Increased grey matter reduction in the prefrontal cortex and several subcortical regions was associated with negative personal early-life events.
- Doc