Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:55 am
Chap wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 pm
But since the events recounted are imaginary, it is ridiculous to say that I "see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary." The whole thing is fiction.
Do you see anything wrong with the fictional story of the virgin birth? Do you believe that Mary (in the story) consented to get pregnant?
Round and round in circles we go. I am happy for our readers (if any remain, which I doubt) to give their opinions on such questions, including whether Zeus should be criticised for having sex with a swan, whether Enlil should have tried to wipe out the human race with a flood and so on and so forth. Oh, and there are quite a few rapists and murderers in Game of Thrones, aren't there?

Of course none of these fictional stories gives any human being the right to commit bad acts in real life.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

malkie wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:33 pm
However, as a long-time practitioner of the English language, I'm simply responding to the definition apparently covering only intentional activity for nefarious purposes. I'm suggesting that, if grooming is not the correct term, then some other term should be created for actions that unintentionally cause the same effect - encouraging a vulnerable person to relax their inhibitions - that may be taken advantage of later.
I guess "grooming" can mean many things. For some it means seduction. [1]

So in your opinion, is it wrong for a man to seduce a younger woman? Do not assume coercion or sexual harassment.

1. Lanning, Kenneth. "The evolution of grooming: Concept and term." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 33, no. 1 (2018): 5-16.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 am
Of course none of these fictional stories gives any human being the right to commit bad acts in real life.
So do you see anything wrong with the fictional story of a god who impregnated a young girl? Yes or No?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 am
So do you see anything wrong with the fictional story of a god who impregnated a young girl? Yes or No?
How do you personally decide whether there is 'anything wrong' with a fictional story about a god? This seems to be yet another of your silly questions. Why are you so obsessed with this?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:16 pm

How do you personally decide whether there is 'anything wrong' with a fictional story about a god? This seems to be yet another of your silly questions. Why are you so obsessed with this?
There is nothing else to talk about.

I am simply pointing out that you don't see anything wrong with the Virgin Mary story. But it's okay. Don't worry about it.

Just forget it. Never mind. Let's not get obsessed with this topic.

God gets a pass on this one.

I guess Mormon Bishops also get a pass when they speak for god.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:20 pm
malkie wrote:
However, as a long-time practitioner of the English language, I'm simply responding to the definition apparently covering only intentional activity for nefarious purposes. I'm suggesting that, if grooming is not the correct term, then some other term should be created for actions that unintentionally cause the same effect - encouraging a vulnerable person to relax their inhibitions - that may be taken advantage of later.

So in your opinion, is it wrong for a man to seduce a younger woman? Do not assume coercion or sexual harassment.

1. Lanning, Kenneth. "The evolution of grooming: Concept and term." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 33, no. 1 (2018): 5-16.
It's not necessarily wrong - but there are lots of factors that could make it more or less likely to be acceptable to me personally, and to society.

For example:
  • when I was a school teacher it would definitely have been wrong for me to seduce one of my younger female students - or even one who was older than I was
  • when I was single it would probably not have been wrong for me to seduce a female fellow student, though I can easily imagine circumstances in which it probably would have been wrong, or definitely would have been wrong
Perhaps I'm misjudging your question, but it seems to me that you want to make this a black and white issue, in spite of there likely being many shades of grey possible in a real example. It's almost as if you yourself cannot imagine how different circumstances would change the likelihood of it being considered wrong, or that you want to ignore the very real potential differences between personal and societal expectations, and evaluations of right and wrong.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:20 pm
malkie wrote:

You pulled that completely out of context. The article is about sex abuse of children. The point of the article, as stated in the abstract, is not to equate grooming with seduction, but to stress the importance of precise terminology when discussing child abuse.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:30 pm
Chap wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:16 pm

There is nothing else to talk about.

I am simply pointing out that you don't see anything wrong with the Virgin Mary story.
It's a fictional story about a non-existent god. I have no view on it's "rightness" or "wrongness".
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

malkie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 pm
It's not necessarily wrong - but there are lots of factors that could make it more or less likely to be acceptable to me personally, and to society.
So we agree. My question is in regards to IHAQ quote, "Children and young people who are groomed can be sexually abused, exploited or trafficked....Groomers may also build a relationship with the young person's family or friends to make them seem trustworthy".

Can a younger woman be "groomed", if so, would that automatically be abuse? Assume there is no real coercion, harassment, and the guy is not in a position of authority.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:24 pm
The point of the article, as stated in the abstract, is not to equate grooming with seduction, but to stress the importance of precise terminology when discussing child abuse.
Wrong article, sorry, but I do agree with that point. Thanks for pointing that out.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:54 pm
malkie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 pm
So we agree. My question is in regards to IHAQ quote, "Children and young people who are groomed can be sexually abused, exploited or trafficked....Groomers may also build a relationship with the young person's family or friends to make them seem trustworthy".

Can a younger woman be "groomed", if so, would that automatically be abuse? Assume there is no real coercion, harassment, and the guy is not in a position of authority.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:24 pm
The point of the article, as stated in the abstract, is not to equate grooming with seduction, but to stress the importance of precise terminology when discussing child abuse.
Wrong article, sorry, but I do agree with that point. Thanks for pointing that out.
I've learned to be cautious when someone proclaims agreement with me on a complex topic. Especially when that someone seems intent on simplifying the issue.

Exactly what is it that you believe we have agreed on?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!