Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:22 pm
No gif could get anywhere near expressing my incredulity.
Chap, you see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by doubtingthomas »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:04 am
young people who are groomed
Hold on here. "Young people" has multiple meanings, is 21 years old young? Can you please clarify what you mean by "young people".

If some dude (who is lonely and has no experience) is nice to a younger woman to convince her to sleep with him, would his action to be considered grooming?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 pm
Chap wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:22 pm
No gif could get anywhere near expressing my incredulity.
Chap, you see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary.
A frankly idiotic comment.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:46 am
A frankly idiotic comment.
Sure!
Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:47 pm
The intention of the person (whoever it was) who wrote the bolded text was clearly to show that Mary consented to her role in God's plan for human salvation, which is how it has always been interpreted. And indeed Mary has been seen in Roman Catholic theology as the 'co-redemptrix" for that reason.

You OK with that now?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

malkie wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 am
OK - let's not call it "grooming" in these non-intentional situations
Okay. You seem to be another expert on this topic. So let me ask you

If some dude (who is lonely and has no experience) is nice to a younger woman to convince her to sleep with him, would his action to be considered grooming?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I am an atheist, and I do not believe that the events recounted in the gospel infancy narratives took place.

In the post you partly quote from, I explained what the writer of a particular gospel text apparently wished to convey, I think that most New Testament scholars, believers or atheists, would agree. But since the events recounted are imaginary, it is ridiculous to say that I "see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary." The whole thing is fiction.

But that you should post something ridiculous is no great surprise.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:04 pm
I am an atheist, and I do not believe that the events recounted in the gospel infancy narratives took place..
I know, but you said it was consensual. So it means you don't see a problem with the religious belief that god impregnated Mary. The story is true for billions.

I guess it is not "grooming" when god does it.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:04 pm
I am an atheist, and I do not believe that the events recounted in the gospel infancy narratives took place.

In the post you partly quote from, I explained what the writer of a particular gospel text apparently wished to convey, I think that most New Testament scholars, believers or atheists, would agree. But since the events recounted are imaginary, it is ridiculous to say that I "see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary." The whole thing is fiction.

But that you should post something ridiculous is no great surprise.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:07 pm
I know, but you said it was consensual.
As I said in my post, the writer of the gospel text in question, which I believe to be fictional, wanted to convey that Mary consented (to bearing the child that the angel announced to her). Since I believe that the events described did not take place it is ridiculous to ask me whether or not "it was consensual".

Try to think clearly, please. You are wasting a lot of time on this nonsense.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:01 pm
malkie wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 am
OK - let's not call it "grooming" in these non-intentional situations
Okay. You seem to be another expert on this topic. So let me ask you

I made no claim to expertise in grooming. I'm not sure what makes you think that.

However, as a long-time practitioner of the English language, I'm simply responding to the definition apparently covering only intentional activity for nefarious purposes. I'm suggesting that, if grooming is not the correct term, then some other term should be created for actions that unintentionally cause the same effect - encouraging a vulnerable person to relax their inhibitions - that may be taken advantage of later.

Your question is sufficiently vague that I suspect I could not answer it to your satisfaction even if I were an expert.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 pm
But since the events recounted are imaginary, it is ridiculous to say that I "see nothing wrong with the idea that God impregnated young Mary." The whole thing is fiction.
Do you see anything wrong with the fictional story of the virgin birth? Do you believe that Mary (in the story) consented to get pregnant?