Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:51 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 pm
Suppose the average completion of the brain maturation process is complete, on average, at age 22 as opposed to age 25, but because of reduced period of time for brain maturity takes place, the average individual exhibits the "maturity" of an 18 year old in terms of risk taking, decision making, etc. Yes, the process happened faster, but would it be accurate to say that, in behavioral terms, people who live in poor neighborhoods "mature" faster? Hell no.
I understand, but why would one of the authors of the 2018 paper tell sciencedaily, "In other words, the brain become "mature" too soon"? Was Tyborowska playing word games? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094830.htm
You said, "Based on what we know, brain development is extremely complicated." It is sometimes better for the average joe to read newspapers like sciencedaily.

Res Ipsa wrote:
Regardless of differences in the averages, there still may be a substantial number of girls who live in poor neighborhoods that complete the process of brain development before other girls.
Well, glad we finally agree on something.
Res Ipsa wrote:
If all you did was take a quick look at this paper, then it is extremely likely you didn't understand what it was saying.
It would take me many hours or days to analyze and understand a paper, I am not an expert on the brain. Can you please help me understand another paper? I do have a question about an unrelated topic, but it is in regards to the old paper that you read.

According to another paper, "it is possible that poorer social relations existed before (and were even responsible) for late sexual timing or that late sexual timing let to difficulties with finding a romantic partner or true friend later on - or that both explanations hold as a cumulative risk model would suggest (Belsky. et. al 1991)"
https://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/docs/ ... c0446c.pdf . I don't fully understand what the authors mean by "both explanations hold", the authors do reference the 31 year old paper you read. Hopefully you can help me here.
No. The quote from science daily says what the paper says. It talks about brain maturity, I.e., the point at which the prefrontal cortex is fully developed. The paper does not talk about mature cognition or behavior. Science journalism can make the material more accessible, but at the expense of detail that may be needed to fully understand the study.

I’m sorry to destroy our happy agreement, but I wrote the opposite of what I intend to communicate regarding overlap of distributions. I should have said “after other girls”, not before. My bad.

The authors do cite the older paper, but they accurately describe it as purely theoretical. The absence of research that attempt to test the theory indicates it is still theoretical.

I feel your passion about trying to grasp scientific papers. The presume some level of expertise in the relevant field, which means they aren’t written with you and me in mind. To me, it just indicates that I shouldn’t make strong claims based on what the paper says unless I’m very confident that I understand what the authors are saying, especially the limitations section of the paper. The opportunities for me to misunderstand are too high.

In answer to your specific question, I think what the authors mean is that the study finds associations but cannot say what the causal relationship between the associated things is. Does A cause B? Does B cause A? Or do both causal directions “hold,” meaning the causal relationship runs both ways (similar to how a feedback loop works). Does that make sense?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:22 am
Or do both causal directions “hold,” meaning the causal relationship runs both ways (similar to how a feedback loop works). Does that make sense?
A little bit, you always need the initialization. So not really.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:

No. The quote from science daily says what the paper says. It talks about brain maturity, I.e., the point at which the prefrontal cortex is fully developed. The paper does not talk about mature cognition or behavior. Science journalism can make the material more accessible, but at the expense of detail that may be needed to fully understand the study.
Right, but doesn't the prefrontal cortex play a key role in decision-making?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 am
Hi doubtingthomas,

In order to get a better handle on what went on, please tell us about the relationship you had with this woman. You already explained she was Mexican.
  1. How old were you, and how old was she, when the relationship began?
  2. What attracted you to each other?
  3. How long did it last?
  4. How and why did it end?
Bump.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Paradise Split from LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:57 am

Bump.

- Doc
Na, I'll take the fifth.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

:lol: :lol: You make me laugh. Get a job.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue May 03, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:41 am
Hi doubtingthomas,

In order to get a better handle on what went on, please tell us about the relationship you had with this woman. You already explained she was Mexican.
  1. How old were you, and how old was she, when the relationship began?
  2. What attracted you to each other?
  3. How long did it last?
  4. How and why did it end?

A) 26
B) Legal. Not under 17. Parents approved.
C) Nice guy. Beauty.
D) One year (late 2020 to 2021)
E) Victim. I was the victim and her family was taking advantage of me. I found her secret Instagram account and I caught her texting with another guy. And I suspect the family had previous connections with "Los Zetas", but I don't know.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Wed May 04, 2022 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

And her biological father allegedly committed suicide when she was 8.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Can we now move on?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

Right, but doesn't the prefrontal cortex play a key role in decision-making?
Yes, but rushing the brain through its developmental stages may effect the ability to make mature decisions at the end of the process. So, does person grow up sooner if the end result isn’t adult adult decision making?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.