New PERFUME single: "Sayonara, Plastic World"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

New PERFUME single: "Sayonara, Plastic World"

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dear fellow Perfumaniacs,

A brand-new single from our official Japanese electro-pop group, PERFUME, dropped yesterday. They've been appearing with remarkable frequency lately, which makes me suspect that a new album is on the horizon. For now, behold:
I'm not sure I can condone this one, 'cause it sounds like yet another offering wherein their writer/producer seems to be just "phoning it in." Where are the catchy hooks, the rockin' baselines from before? He seems to be steering them in the direction of generic J-Pop, which is NOT what made Perfume famous. Perfume is great because they are the EXCEPTION, not because they are the rule. Has their writer/producer been spending all his creative energies on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Re: New PERFUME single: "Sayonara, Plastic World"

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 am
Dear fellow Perfumaniacs,

A brand-new single from our official Japanese electro-pop group, PERFUME, dropped yesterday. They've been appearing with remarkable frequency lately, which makes me suspect that a new album is on the horizon. For now, behold:
I'm not sure I can condone this one, 'cause it sounds like yet another offering wherein their writer/producer seems to be just "phoning it in." Where are the catchy hooks, the rockin' baselines from before? He seems to be steering them in the direction of generic J-Pop, which is NOT what made Perfume famous. Perfume is great because they are the EXCEPTION, not because they are the rule. Has their writer/producer been spending all his creative energies on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu?
Gotta agree with your assessment, Shades. Generic and disappointingly bland. It sounds frighteningly close to elevator or, forgive me, telephone hold music. The writer/producer needs to get back in the game.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Re: New PERFUME single: "Sayonara, Plastic World"

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 am
Has their writer/producer been spending all his creative energies on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu?
While that Pon Pon song may not be the Brandenburg Concerto, it is better than the Perfume offering. Perfume should demand more from their producer.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace