do I understand the definition of a woman?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: do I understand the definition of a woman?

Post by Markk »

Well DT, you have imploded and now you are not sure what to do with the hole you have dug yourself into. Like i wrote, and have been saying all along, and as several dictionaries read, including medical, legal, and standard dictionaries….is that a woman is a “adult female human being.”

You naïvely chose to somehow make an argument that biological males with a very rare disease where they have undeveloped male genitals are somehow a biological woman and not a biological male identifying as a woman…which by the way is perfectly understandable and acceptable in my opinion.

And after all this, after the discussion has gone full circle you can only offer ad-hom gibberish and cannot even offer a summery and conclusion for your argument.

You have asked me question after question and I have answered them, yet like others here avoid answering counter questions, and in my opinion it is because once you are out of your assigned talking point comfort zone…you are confused and lost in regards to the topic. But i will attempt now to ask a few questions…

Are you a biological male and a man?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What do you consider a woman who has 50% male dna and hormones to be?

Can a woman have 51% male dna and hormones?

Is a woman still a woman if she has 48% male dna and hormones?

Can women have varying degrees of male dna and make hormones, and still legitimately, by social accepted standards, present as women?

What’s the dna and hormone cutoff where a woman stops being a woman?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

dantana wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 am
You know, sometimes I scratch my head a bit when trying to imagine the finer tunings of evolution, survival of the fittest, etc. In a lot of species, and especially homo sapiens, the males are bigger, stronger, faster. Didn't women persons with vaginas creatures that ovulate have to outrun tiggers too?
The ole godfather of natural evolution, Mr. Darwin, held that there are instances (like with some types of birds), that male characteristics within a species were because of "beauty preference selection." In other words, males looked the way they did because females found those characteristics aesthetically pleasing, and not because they were an aspect of "fitness" or served an evolutionary advantage.

Maybe that's why there is such a huge variety in the physical attributes of male humans. While there is undoubtedly a stereotypical male appearance that many (most?) females (and males) find appealing -- Chris Hemsworth, anyone?... *swoon* -- with the much more complicated brains of humans perhaps comes a much wider and individualized preference for aesthetics.

Basically, maybe it's not so much about natural selection favoring males who could outrun tiggers (while leaving the females behind as fodder), but more about what human females found to be beautiful during the formative evolutionary beginnings of our species.

Or maybe aliens did it. *shrug*
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Markk wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:11 pm
Like i wrote, and have been saying all along, and as several dictionaries read, including medical, legal, and standard dictionaries ...
Dictionaries record the ways that the compilers find that words have been used in the century or so before they were compiled (sometimes longer). They don't lay down rules for how those words must be used ever after. If they did, how would we cope with the fact that words change their meaning, so that (for instance) 18th century English speakers used the word 'disgust' to express that one had simply lost one's taste for something, such as the music of a particular composer, whereas for us today 'disgust' expresses strong revulsion, as one would feel for a hamburger that turned out to contain bird droppings? There are many other examples.

Once upon a time, almost everybody used the word 'woman' to refer solely to an adult human being with a female body. Now the usage is changing. Eventually you will find the expanded sense of the word, including persons born with a male body who have chosen to live as women, in all up to date dictionaries. There's nothing you can do to stop that.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

With Chap having explained this problem so clearly more than once it is truly a puzzle that the thread continues.

Now I am not at all saying that Chap is the only one with a grasp of word usage. It is not terribly subtle.

But 27 pages,, this way lies madness...
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

So then my point stand that this is nothing more than redefining what a woman is…which is exactly what I said.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Markk wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:27 pm
So then my point stand that this is nothing more than redefining what a woman is…which is exactly what I said.
What do you consider a woman who has 50% male dna and hormones to be?

Can a woman have 51% male dna and hormones?

Is a woman still a woman if she has 48% male dna and hormones?

Can women have varying degrees of male dna and make hormones, and still legitimately, by social accepted standards, present as women?

What’s the dna and hormone cutoff where a woman stops being a woman?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Markk wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:27 pm
Nope. It's not about someone 'redefining' a word as if they were passing a law saying "X used to mean Y, but from now on it means Z". That's not how words get new meanings.

Rather, the meanings of words change as people begin to change the way they use them. That is happening to the word "woman" at the moment. Markk can of course continue to use the word in question any way he wants to. But as the years go by, he is going to find himself looking a bit old-fashioned.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Jeff
Sunbeam

Post by Jeff »

What's a woman when a man
Don't stand by her side?
Has secrets to hide?
She'll be weak, she'll be strong
Struggle hard for so long
Don't go by the rule?
(What's a man without a woman?)
Makes her feel like a fool?
When right turns to wrong
She will try to hold on
To the ghosts of the past
When love was to last
Dreams from the past faded so fast
All alone in the dark she will swear
He'll never mislead her again
All those dreams from the past
Faded so fast, ghost of the past
When love was to last
All alone in the dark
She will swear cross her heart
Never again
Cross my heart, never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
I say never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
No, no, never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
Never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
Never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
Never again
Cross my heart
(A woman without a man?)
Never again
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jeff wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 pm
Don't stand by her side?
Or alternatively ...

"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle".

I am a straight man. But, trust me on this, women can manage very well without men.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant: